comparisons please: Senn HD 600 vs Ultrasone Pro 750/900
New Reply
Subscribe
Macaroni
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

comparisons please: Senn HD 600 vs Ultrasone Pro 750/900

I've been reading a lot of headphone threads - lots of opinions. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s for years and I love them, but I'm very intrigued by the Ultrasone Pro 750s and 900s.

I'm not in a place where I can audition the Ultrasones, so I'd like to hear from others who have compared these headphones to get your take on how they compare to one another.

And of course, the big question is whether the 750s or 900s will deliver a noticeable and desirable improvement over the HD 600s? I know that's not a black and white consideration, but I'd still like to hear about other's experiences and opinions.

Thanks.
21st December 2011
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Bump!

Anyone???
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

I love my Ultrasone 900 Pro. Excellent low end. I compared them to Sennheiser HD 650 (i heard they are just the same as HD 600). These are different canes. The Ultrasones are considered to be the "bassmonster". So if you are used to HD 600 maybe it will be to much bass for you. The Sennheiser HD 650 have less bass, but therefore more mids and highs. HD 650 are open Ultrasone 900 Pro are closed. Ultrasones are very good for electronic music. When you put them on you will think you are inside the club (boom boom boom). Sennheiser HD 650 are more for music with vocals. With Ultrasone 900 Pro you will start to dance. With Sennheiser HD 650 you will start to sing.
Macaroni
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Magucci!
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Merry Xmas!
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Head

Ultrasone vs. Sennheiser

I've owned Ultrasone PRO 900s for awhile, and if they're driven by a good source, they sound well-balanced -- and definitely not bassy unless they're given a recording that's too bassy. They need time to be broken in, otherwise they're brighter than desirable -- but I can't imagine Sennheisers ever being brighter than Ultrasones.

Headphones, however, are a very personal choice. For me, the Ultrasone PRO 900s are exceptionally satisfying.

daivadisc
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daivadisc View Post
I've owned Ultrasone PRO 900s for awhile, and if they're driven by a good source, they sound well-balanced -- and definitely not bassy unless they're given a recording that's too bassy. They need time to be broken in, otherwise they're brighter than desirable -- but I can't imagine Sennheisers ever being brighter than Ultrasones.

Headphones, however, are a very personal choice. For me, the Ultrasone PRO 900s are exceptionally satisfying.

daivadisc
in my experience , any thing from akg k701/2 , sen 600/650 . beyer dt 770/880 pro and the ultrasones 750 and 900s would do justice for u in terms of monitoring and detalis. U CANT GO WRONG with any of these , maybe the atm m50 added to the list above too. cheers
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear nut

I absolutely love my HD-650s for listening to music, but for mixing I find it not possible to manage the highs correctly, as they are quite smoothed/rolled off.

I mainly use my Ultrasone 900s when tracking bass guitar, as the bass is clear and solid. For mixing though, the mids are definitely far too scooped to be used alone.

So I always find I have to rotate through a bunch of different cans to cover everything. E.g. using Sony 7506/V6 for highs, but they have crap low end.

For mixing on the go, I like the Shure SE535s for a nice overall flat(ish) response.

Btw - be sure to Kees mod your Pro 900s (search on Head-Fi.org)
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maku View Post
I absolutely love my HD-650s for listening to music, but for mixing I find it not possible to manage the highs correctly, as they are quite smoothed/rolled off.

I mainly use my Ultrasone 900s when tracking bass guitar, as the bass is clear and solid. For mixing though, the mids are definitely far too scooped to be used alone.

So I always find I have to rotate through a bunch of different cans to cover everything. E.g. using Sony 7506/V6 for highs, but they have crap low end.

For mixing on the go, I like the Shure SE535s for a nice overall flat(ish) response.

Btw - be sure to Kees mod your Pro 900s (search on Head-Fi.org)
please tell me what do u think of the ultrasone pro 900 compared to the hd650 and other cans , cuz im having an offer for $280 to buy it and im so torn and cant make a decision as i never auditioned it.

in terms of isolation are they good for vocal tracking? are they detailed ? exaggerated in the base as many ppl say?
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I've been reading a lot of headphone threads - lots of opinions. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s for years and I love them, but I'm very intrigued by the Ultrasone Pro 750s and 900s.

I'm not in a place where I can audition the Ultrasones, so I'd like to hear from others who have compared these headphones to get your take on how they compare to one another.

And of course, the big question is whether the 750s or 900s will deliver a noticeable and desirable improvement over the HD 600s? I know that's not a black and white consideration, but I'd still like to hear about other's experiences and opinions.

Thanks.
Like you I'm a big HD600 fan. I listened to Ultrasones a few years back and as others have said, they deliver more bass. They actually gave a very silky warm lush sound that was very inviting. But I felt in that respect that they were just a bit too flattering to the music. To me the HD600 were giving it to you a bit more raw and honestly. So for just enjoying music I'd probably go Ultrasone, but for actually producing or mixing on, I'd take the Senns any day.
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
please tell me what do u think of the ultrasone pro 900 compared to the hd650 and other cans , cuz im having an offer for $280 to buy it and im so torn and cant make a decision as i never auditioned it.

in terms of isolation are they good for vocal tracking? are they detailed ? exaggerated in the base as many ppl say?
Man, you are really struggling with this.
The 900 is a great, high quality headphone. Even if you somehow don't like it, it is still a first class piece of gear.
Yes, a lot of bass. But, the bass is very clean and "tight", makes other phones sound light or "sloppy" in the bass.
Very detailed, but not "tilted" toward high detail, like the 750's.
Not very good isolation, IMHO. So, that is better for listening/mixing, but not my first choice for tracking. And, tracking doesn't need a headphone this nice anyway!
And remember, the 900 needs a looooooong break-in period to sound more balanced.
My 2c, YMMV.
"Factory farming" is the worst and most horrible abuse of Animals on a massive scale ever devised by greedy humans. Please do what you can to help end it, and "laboratory testing" also. No living being should have to suffer like this. Thank you.
http://www.soundclick.com/edbilleaud
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Man, you are really struggling with this.
The 900 is a great, high quality headphone. Even if you somehow don't like it, it is still a first class piece of gear.
Yes, a lot of bass. But, the bass is very clean and "tight", makes other phones sound light or "sloppy" in the bass.
Very detailed, but not "tilted" toward high detail, like the 750's.
Not very good isolation, IMHO. So, that is better for listening/mixing, but not my first choice for tracking. And, tracking doesn't need a headphone this nice anyway!
And remember, the 900 needs a looooooong break-in period to sound more balanced.
My 2c, YMMV.
you know why am i struggling because i dont have the chance to listen to it before i buy it , if i just had the chance i would of made my decision easier than this i agree with u tracking doesnt need an expensive hp ! lol
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search