VCC + Outboard summing mixer?
New Reply
Subscribe
infiniteposse
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

VCC + Outboard summing mixer?

I've read through quite a bit of the VCC thread, but it's extremely long and I've not seen this particular topic mentioned.

I'm curious if many folks are using VCC in conjunction with an outboard summing box such as the Dangerous 2-buss or the like. If so, I'm curious what workflow seems to be getting you good results. VCC on tracks, busses and stems? Just busses and stems? Just stems?

I got VCC last week during the sale and have just started to play with it, beginning with just using the VCC Bus component on my stems before going out to my Dangerous for external summing. It seems as though this might be slightly redundant in theory, but the Dangerous is a very clean summing mixer with tons of headroom, so VCC should hopefully be able to provide some color when it's needed.

Anyone using this sort of workflow? Suggestions or best practices?

Thanks.

"It's not about the gear, it's about your relationship with the gear." tchadb
----------------------------------------------------
MacPro 2.26 8-core // 16gigs RAM // OS X 10.7.4 // Logic Pro 9.1.7 // UAD 2 Quad + UAD2 Solo // Apogee Symphony IO // Lavry AD10/DA10 // Dangerous 2-Buss LT // ADAM P22A Nearfield monitors and ADAM Sub // Avantone Mixcubes
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

I use the bus plugin on my master faders before my dbox. Works quite well
8th December 2011
Old 8th December 2011
Gear interested

We did a shoot out with it a month ago using VCC and a chilton desk, basically which between just the chilton summing, then the VCC on its on and then a mix. In the end we found that VCC added everything we were looking for and better, in fact it seemed it lost the magic when we ran it through the chilton. We later did this also with a Soundtracs desk.

My thoughts on this: I think the catch is the VCC is modded on very nice consoles which few would always have access too and hence the reason most of us buy it, cause we dont have those desks or summers and want the sound. The mods are to add colour to the mix and most more affordable gear either adds nothing or doesnt add anything worth using. I do however respect the D-Box and maybe it will add something to it, give it a shot and let us know what you find.

Im curious to know what it will do to your image.
8th December 2011
Old 8th December 2011
Gear maniac

I use VCC with a Dangerous 2bus. The Dangerous seems to take VCC to a higher level. Both sound great by themselves but together they are even better.
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
I use VCC with a Dangerous 2bus. The Dangerous seems to take VCC to a higher level. Both sound great by themselves but together they are even better.
This is exactly what I have found as well. The VCC and Dangerous each bring something really nice to the table; the two together create a third thing that is better than the individual parts.

13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMichaelJohnson View Post
This is exactly what I have found as well. The VCC and Dangerous each bring something really nice to the table; the two together create a third thing that is better than the individual parts.
I am now using the VCC with a Dangerous 2 bus lt as well...also very, very, nice.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

Bump. I would like to hear more about this.

I love VCC. I have no experiences with Summers but have been flirting with the idea of one (Dangerous 2-Box).

I know VCC doesn't "Sum" but simulates Cross-Talk on the 2Bus.

Whatever the case, is the auditory effect basically the same? In other words: would it be a redundant & expensive waste of money to buy a Summer? Or, used in conjunction, a worthwhile investement?
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

Slate VTM, VCC and Dangerous DBox here. All three were game changers for me!
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pananimal View Post
Slate VTM, VCC and Dangerous DBox here. All three were game changers for me!
I have the VTM as well, but I use it to warm up & "print" my finals.

Anway, so you suggest using the VCC in addition to the DBox?

My main concern is that there would be some sort of overkill or noise / hiss situation? Or that the VCC (unbeknownst to me because I've never used a Summer) is already giving me the same sound from Dbox?
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
Bump. I would like to hear more about this.

I love VCC. I have no experiences with Summers but have been flirting with the idea of one (Dangerous 2-Box).

I know VCC doesn't "Sum" but simulates Cross-Talk on the 2Bus.

Whatever the case, is the auditory effect basically the same? In other words: would it be a redundant & expensive waste of money to buy a Summer? Or, used in conjunction, a worthwhile investement?
I think it would depend on what kind of summing you are using OTB

A Dangerous D-Box is a very, Very clean unit. Very low noise, very low THD and cross talk is almost non existent, right down at the noise floor.
Running a console emulation VST in front of it might add something pleasing to this

If you are using an old, cheap desk to mix/sum through or something designed to add "color" that already is adding saturation and cross talk and noise, then adding a plugin that adds saturation cross talk and noise on top of what you are getting could be too much, and give you a phasey, mushy mess. Or it might sound great

The only way really is to try and see if you like it on what you are going to do. Personally when I started using hardware I stopped using console emulations. IMO, there was no need to add simulated noise, THD and cross talk to real noise, THD and cross talk. This is stuff the hardware guys are trying to minimize for a good reason
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
I think it would depend on what kind of summing you are using OTB

A Dangerous D-Box is a very, Very clean unit. Very low noise, very low THD and cross talk is almost non existent, right down at the noise floor.
Running a console emulation VST in front of it might add something pleasing to this

If you are using an old, cheap desk to mix/sum through or something designed to add "color" that already is adding saturation and cross talk and noise, then adding a plugin that adds saturation cross talk and noise on top of what you are getting could be too much, and give you a phasey, mushy mess. Or it might sound great

The only way really is to try and see if you like it on what you are going to do. Personally when I started using hardware I stopped using console emulations. IMO, there was no need to add simulated noise, THD and cross talk to real noise, THD and cross talk. This is stuff the hardware guys are trying to minimize for a good reason
Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search