Pro Tools or Cubase/Nuendo ready... GO!!
DreamSound
16th April 2006
Old 16th April 2006
Gear addict

Pro Tools or Cubase/Nuendo ready... GO!!

I hope this thread won't be as controversial as whether abortion/pot/cloning should be legal or whether to use a Mac or a PC

I'm thinking about switching from Pro Tools LE to Cubase or maybe Nuendo (still looking at the difference between the last two). The reason for that is that I need a GOOD drum editor and Pro Tools little midi editor won't cut it for my needs. I'm talking about programming drums with Battery 2 and DFH Superior for Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal. Lots of drum details and time changes. Using an external midi sequencer won't cut it either, since I'm actually coming up with guitar riffs while programming drums at the same time.

I also have the Digi 002 console, I understand that is compatible with Cubase, but how compatible? I'm also hoping Cubase has the good ol' punch-in function from Pro Tools.. I love punching-in!
16th April 2006
Old 16th April 2006
Lives for gear

Well, Nuendo has more network features and - I think - more flexible surround options than Cubase. The MIDI and audio editors I believe are the same, and there are different methods of MIDI editing (also a "sheet music" editor). They have punch I/O (auto and manual) so that should be fine. Don't know about Digi's compatibility though.
16th April 2006
Old 16th April 2006
Lives for gear

Cubase SX is the midi sequencer for me, and i've been through many hardware and software sequencers. Logic was a mistake (for me), and when Apple smashed up Emagic and peed on their PC users, I reluctantly switched to Cubase SX. The best thing Apple have ever done for me - I just love the ease of working with midi and audio in SX.

A huge consideration is plugins. To a certain extent, any modern DAW can do all the usual midi and audio things. But the cost and variety of plugins is a huge expense and factor.

VST plugins, on a PC, has the most options, and you can get everything you need for free. Not cracks - genuine freeware. You can also get excellent reasonable priced stuff, as well as the over-priced dongle/PACE/ilock/ChallengeResponse crap that offers little real value. Or if you are dishonest, you can get all that crap for free anyway, because of the hacker community.

The price of all this choice is that you don't get any freedom of choice. That's time consuming, but you also may find some exotic and fun instruments and effects that Mac users can't get. I often see Mac users pining because a certain plugin has not been ported to Mac yet. Hardly ever does that work the other way around. For example, PC users have had good, free convolution reverb for years before Mac users got a good free one. (Assuming they now have a good free one?)

If money is no object and you require a status symbol, buy yourself a Mac. They look styley and clients are impressed with brand names. With enough money, you can buy everything you need, and the limited options makes it much easier to sound just like everyone else.
DreamSound
16th April 2006
Old 16th April 2006
Gear addict

Yeah, the more research I do, the more I'm convinced that Cubase SX is the way to go. I really don't see much of a need for Nuendo since I'm not doing any movie editing and the price on Nuendo is way higher .

However, I just cannot find any input on using the Digi 002 with Cubase SX. Man, I seriously LOVE this console. I would miss the motorized faders and the face of my friends (and future clients) when I turn this thing on .
So far I expect Cubase to accept all the inputs from the 002 but none of the fun functions like the zoom in/out or my personal favorite the 'undo' button .
theother
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound
Yeah, the more research I do, the more I'm convinced that Cubase SX is the way to go. I really don't see much of a need for Nuendo since I'm not doing any movie editing and the price on Nuendo is way higher .
Most will be fine with Cubase SX. You can upgrade to Nuendo anytime you like in the future. Of course you can read all Cubase projects with Nuendo.
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Couldn't find anything that says the 002 can work as a controller for non-PT...
Anyway, there are lots of similar controllers like Mackie Control, M-Audio ProjectMix,
Tascam FW series, ...you'll probably want something with inputs and ADs, so not the Mackie Control.
Owning Nuendo 2.2 I don't see any need for PT for me. Nuendo can do more than I ever needed so far. Just looked a lot nicer than Cubase which two years ago still looked a bit toyish - it was before SX...
For music-only, Cubase is the way to go.
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Gear interested

002 will work as a soundcard but faders will be dead. Sorry. Look at the tascam FW series or maybe the M-Audio Project Mix. I went with the FW 1884 when switching from 002 and PT to Logic for the very same reason. I'm very happy about it...
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

cubase would be a good way to go

i can't agree with the rest of kiwiburgers post, which is just flamebait. whatever platform the original poster is on is fine and i doubt there is any need to change that. so mac vs pc digs are back in the uber boring catagory. get over it.
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Why not ask Steinberg what the difference between Cubase and Nuendo?

I'd love to hear an answer to that question

Seriously Cubase will probably cover your needs but PTools still attracts certain ill educated clients.

I, of course, use Nuendo although done quite a bit of Ptools recently. I'm not looking for trouble but I found not a massive difference between it and Nuendo. I was comfortable in minutes. To be fair I mostly mix so the editing was not so critical and Steinberg know quite a bit about MIDI etc.

Steinberg is probably better value for money.
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear
I'm also thinking of switching from Pro Tools to Cubase or Nuendo. I now have a DMX and cannot afford an PT HD system to maximize the use of this mixer. I used Nuendo several years ago & remember it being quite capable with audio. I may start with a Cubase SX system to save money. Also, I don't need all the extra functions Nuendo offers. They seem geared towards post & video etc. I do neither. I will miss my Sony Inflator plugin very much. Is there an RTAS to VST adapter?....or an alternative to the Sony Inflator? Also, what would I need to be able to open Cubase sessions in Pro Tools and what are the limitations for cross platform sessions?
Thanks - Matt
17th April 2006
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Given that all the major software packages can produce professional results, why not try SONAR. I like it better than either PT or Cubase. Personal preference though. They have a free demo on their site. In fact, I would recommend that you fully demo any product .... oh I forgot Cubase has no demo. my bad.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search