Old 11th April 2006
Gear addict

Nice Rack ;)

13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What's in your Wall? (Rack)

Nice Rack indeed......Being a bit of a newbie on this site, I'd thought I'd post a pic of my rack. The studio is a bit messy at the moment though...

Rob

13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Can't forget the night shot........For all the LED lovers out there.

Rob

13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear maniac

OH MY GOD

You must have some good clients! Do those Martechs sound fabulous? They look it. Mo' lights than a Christmas tree.
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yeah, the Martechs sound pretty nice. I just racked those in my portable remote rig.

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Super Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Sweet!
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Lovin' the APIs and the Neves. Could do without the Avalon, and the Focusrite Red is...Well, many don't share my opinon on that "lovely" piece of gear...

Hey, Rob, what's up with the Kultube? Never worked with onna those before...SPL...Burr-Browns? How does it sound?
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear maniac

GREAT RACK VIEW!
Hey, not many people talks about the martech, you have Neves and Apis, Whats your take? how would you compare them? I understand that they are on the neutral side, But Ive seen many important guys using them for vocals..What do you use them for?
Nice stuff you got there, congrats
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Seriously, the Kultube to me is one of the best compressors out there! It is super transparent, but you can also dial in the tube stage for a more fuzzy tone as well. I switch between the SSL and the Kultube for Buss compression often. It really is a great sounding unit. I also have another super underrated Compressor, the Electro-Harmonix NY-2A. This baby is HOT! 3 completely different light sources. You can go from an La-2A to a fairchild 670 type thing and pretty much everything in between. The IND setting on a snare drum is pretty sick.

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by borism
GREAT RACK VIEW!
Hey, not many people talks about the martech, you have Neves and Apis, Whats your take? how would you compare them? I understand that they are on the neutral side, But Ive seen many important guys using them for vocals..What do you use them for?
Nice stuff you got there, congrats
Actually the Neve's and API's are from another rack picture posted by (DC). I actually do not own any API or Neve stuff. Just sorta happened that way, I actually finally got a neumann mic in my mic collection of over 60 mics for the first time a couple months back! I have always been the kinda guy that goes against the norm and really like to get unpopular gear. LOL Although I will be adding a Chandler LTD-1 very shortly....

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King
Nice Rack indeed......Being a bit of a newbie on this site, I'd thought I'd post a pic of my rack. The studio is a bit messy at the moment though...

Rob

Awesome

Looks like you like the Martechs! I want to try one of those out
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The Martechs have an extreme detail. I use them for Vocals and String (Cello, Violin) Instruments alot. Seriously, everything sounds pretty great through them. I was torn between these and the Millennia's, I went for the Martechs...

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Another preamp I really dig that was a bit underated is the Drawmer 1962. This thing is awesome on guitars. Has a gain/bright switch on the DI, a Low/Hi Pass filter, 3 band eq, enhancer and a variable tube drive. It sounds pretty damn good.

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Love the Neves, Distressors and Transient Designers.

Everything else is
C/G
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously, the Kultube to me is one of the best compressors out there! It is super transparent, but you can also dial in the tube stage for a more fuzzy tone as well. I switch between the SSL and the Kultube for Buss compression often. It really is a great sounding unit. I also have another super underrated Compressor, the Electro-Harmonix NY-2A. This baby is HOT! 3 completely different light sources. You can go from an La-2A to a fairchild 670 type thing and pretty much everything in between. The IND setting on a snare drum is pretty sick.

Rob
Been looking at the NY-2A for a while now. Do you mind elaborating on it a bit more? What you like it on/don't like it on ect. Thanks.
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Love the Neves, Distressors and Transient Designers.

Everything else is
With the addition of the LA-2A, that's kind of what I thought until I looked in the upper corner and saw the 4 Martechs all racked together. I truly gasped... And since I'm the 4th person in this thread to mention them, I guess I was not alone. I have ONE, and it is amazing. I've seen people with two (and I'd love a second myself)... But the 4 banger in the rack? Wow!

You mention that you like them on vocals and strings? When do you use all four? I would just hate to think that units 3 and 4 aren't getting enough use?

-Jp
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Been looking at the NY-2A for a while now. Do you mind elaborating on it a bit more? What you like it on/don't like it on ect. Thanks.

Kick, Bass, Snare....It is awesome! also for processing drum loops and synths. I have used in on vocals as well but I tend to go to the ADL1000, LA-2A and distressors more for vocals. I played with it at NAMM for 2 years in a row for about 30min each time and remembered loving it so much, then I finally broke down and got one. Very happy with the purchase! It can really do a ton of things and get some many different tons. You really have to play with it to understand it.

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
=You mention that you like them on vocals and strings? When do you use all four? I would just hate to think that units 3 and 4 aren't getting enough use?

-Jp
Multiple mic setups. 2-4 on a solo cello depending on what I am doing. They are great overhead Pre's for drums as well. I knew 2 wouldn't be enough and I was looking for a 4-8 channels of the same pre. Needless to say, I am happy.

Rob
C/G
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kick, Bass, Snare....It is awesome! also for processing drum loops and synths. I have used in on vocals as well but I tend to go to the ADL1000, LA-2A and distressors more for vocals. I played with it at NAMM for 2 years in a row for about 30min each time and remembered loving it so much, then I finally broke down and got one. Very happy with the purchase! It can really do a ton of things and get some many different tons. You really have to play with it to understand it.

Rob
Apparently their have been some recent changes the NY-2A.
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The Mic Collection.. I have added a few since, Pair of KM83's & 84's, Sennheiser MKH70, Neumann sm82i, Yamaha SubKick and a BLUE Kiwi.

Rob

13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hmm... interesting that people here are showing love for the reissue LA2A's.

I have two friends that and both of them tried the reissue LA2A and promptly ran out and paid out the extra $$$ to get the real thing. It's one thing to say something is not as good but they voted with their money.

So what's the verdict on the reissue LA2A's? There's been some discussion here and I was under the impression from the folks here that it didn't sound as good as the real thing. Or has that opinion changed?
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Gear maniac

Studio Metronome's a gorgeous place, with top notch people! It's quite accessible from pretty much anywhere in New England, and I'm dying to actually get a project that I can bring in there .
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You know, everyones ear is different. I have a buddy with a black LA-2A from the 60's and it sounds great! The reissue - Sounds great. Personally I find myself on the ADL1000 more, but it is a bit more noisy. Seriously, all gear is good and useful. Works great for me....

Rob
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't forget the night shot........For all the LED lovers out there.

Rob

homina homina homina...

FM
13th April 2006
Old 13th April 2006

Asylum Rackage!
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
The Mic Collection.. I have added a few since, Pair of KM83's & 84's, Sennheiser MKH70, Neumann sm82i, Yamaha SubKick and a BLUE Kiwi.

Rob

I think both your rack and your mic cabinet are interesting because they both hit on a lot of the major players, yet they have some peices that are a little different. I'm not totally up on my blue mics, but are those 4 dragonflies? I take it you like? 4 dragonflies... 4 Martechs... Would I be reading too much into this if I said, "wining combo?" You have a lot of LDC's. How does the cactus hold up? And what about the blue balls?

And speaking of blue balls, c1000's? Really? Tell me what they still get used for at your place.

Thanks.

Looks great.

-Jp
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peacock
I think both your rack and your mic cabinet are interesting because they both hit on a lot of the major players, yet they have some peices that are a little different. I'm not totally up on my blue mics, but are those 4 dragonflies? I take it you like? 4 dragonflies... 4 Martechs... Would I be reading too much into this if I said, "wining combo?" You have a lot of LDC's. How does the cactus hold up? And what about the blue balls?

And speaking of blue balls, c1000's? Really? Tell me what they still get used for at your place.

Thanks.

Looks great.

-Jp

LOL, I haven't used the C1000's in probably 6 years, but I never sell my mics. I can bet that the C1000's WON'T be a classic anytime soon. lol
Total coincidence on the Dragonflys and the Martechs. I really dig the Dragonfly Deluxes alot, especially the rotating capsules, they are my go to Tom Mics, they are good all around mics like the C414 minus the Switchable patterns. The only use I found for the Blue balls is on a Roland JC120. Never really cared for that amp much but the Balls sounded pretty good on that amp.
The Cactus is an awesome Mic. I just finished a CD where that was 9 out of 10 tunes for the lead vox, with the Soundelux U95 on the 10th. The U95's are hands down my favorite vocal mics and The Brauner Valvet is the go to backing vocal mic for that airy "cut through the mix" tone. Can usually find a place for all the mics depending on the project.

Rob

P.S. The C1000 was my first studio mic.........Got the 2nd one free from a company.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search