Cities with the best music scenes...?
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Cities with the best music scenes...?

I'm relocating. I was thinking LA, but am cooling on that notion...

What US cities have the best scenes for contemporary (alt/rock/indie/etc) music?
Old 8th April 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax
I'm relocating. I was thinking LA, but am cooling on that notion...

What US cities have the best scenes for contemporary (alt/rock/indie/etc) music?
I hear Chicago is super HOT right now. just look at all the bands that are coming out of there.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Go a few hours north of the border. Montreal. That's where I want to be.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Don't come here...
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Is that a "nothing's happening here" or a "we don't want the competition"?
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

both

But I'm worldwide, so everyone's my competition
Old 8th April 2006
Gear addict

I'm from Tucson, that's definitely not the place to be either.

My brother is doing well in Atlanta, though. It's a smaller scene than LA or NY, but it's big enough to be worth your time.
Old 8th April 2006
Gear addict

ny, la, austin (gotta deal w/ texas people though yick.), chi, portland, seattle, and dont forget pretty much all of canada.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Austin, hands down, no comparison...best music scene for truly original sounding music of all genres. Amazing venues to boot. And regarding the earlier post, you cannot possibly compare Austin residents to Texans in general...it is about the most liberal city you could live in.

Scenes that blow...Washington DC is abyssmal, Chicago for the size is surprisingly lame, and Denver, though there are a few decent local bands here and there, but certainly nothing groundbreaking.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Athens, GA, and Chapel Hill, NC
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Minneapolis has had a great scene for as long as I can remember. There are many clubs for original music. Lot's of bands in most genres. Some of them aren' t very good but there some great bands.

Of course Prince, Soul Asylum, Replacements, Jayhawks etc. are well known. There are others doing well also.

Atmosphere and other bands on The Rymesayers label have really done well. Fairly original music too. Indie Underground Rap you could call it.
http://www.rhymesayers.com/

Here a just a few names that have been making it nationally in the music world.
Atmosphere
Motion City Soundtrack
Low
Mint Condition
American Head Charge

Todd
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
ny, la, austin (gotta deal w/ texas people though yick.), chi, portland, seattle, and dont forget pretty much all of canada.
Deep....
-----------------------

The generosity, hospitality and warmth that overflows from the average 'Texan' is unlike any place in the world. Nothing in our experience compares.

My wife and I are from Southern California where people are generally sticking to themselves.

Here in Austin you will find the friendliest people in the world...
You come for the music but you stay for the people... Truly enjoyable place to live.

Good Music scene....

Much Respect,
Old 8th April 2006
Gear Guru

cities suck -

move out to the country, like I did

Good luck - the grass is always greener ESPECIALLY WHERE I LIVE
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

NY, otherwise maybe iceland
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler
NY, otherwise maybe iceland

Old 8th April 2006
Gear Guru

OK, first of all, as far as I know, Iceland is not really considered a city, unless, perhaps you're smoking some kinda GOOOOOOOD reefer I don't know about yet.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Cool things seem to be coming out of Toronto... If they ever get more than a week or two of "summer" I'd love to move up there for a while.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Kansas City has 16,000 bands and five clubs that book them, and I got every saturday locked
Old 9th April 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore
Austin, hands down, no comparison...best music scene for truly original sounding music of all genres. Amazing venues to boot. And regarding the earlier post, you cannot possibly compare Austin residents to Texans in general...it is about the most liberal city you could live in.

Kind of like the island of Boulder in Colorado?
Old 9th April 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay
Athens, GA, and Chapel Hill, NC
Seriously, dude. Chapel Hill is fine if you're an indie rock hipster type who wants to do X as a day job and hang in a college scene for a while. But outside of that the area is rather barren. I would not move there to set up shop. If that's your scene it can be a cool place to hang but otherwise there are much better places to go.

Cost of living is nice and cheap, though. That buys a lot of beer and cosmic burritos but I'd much rather spend my money on ramen and living in a closet somewhere more happening.
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VukOnCrack
Seriously, dude. Chapel Hill is fine if you're an indie rock hipster type who wants to do X as a day job and hang in a college scene for a while. But outside of that the area is rather barren. I would not move there to set up shop. If that's your scene it can be a cool place to hang but otherwise there are much better places to go.

Cost of living is nice and cheap, though. That buys a lot of beer and cosmic burritos but I'd much rather spend my money on ramen and living in a closet somewhere more happening.
I beg to differ. There have been a lot of outstanding bands out of that area, and as it is a hotbed of talent(and rich Students whos mommys and daddys got them into Duke and State), and is in dire need engineers always. GOod ones, that is. Not to mention Chapel Hill is rated one of the best places to live in America. Seriously for music scene...it is great. I know, ive been living/grew up in the area for 27 years(well not since ive been in Germany for a few years)

Teddy
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF
Minneapolis has had a great scene for as long as I can remember. There are many clubs for original music. Lot's of bands in most genres. Some of them aren' t very good but there some great bands.

Of course Prince, Soul Asylum, Replacements, Jayhawks etc. are well known. There are others doing well also.

Atmosphere and other bands on The Rymesayers label have really done well. Fairly original music too. Indie Underground Rap you could call it.
http://www.rhymesayers.com/

Here a just a few names that have been making it nationally in the music world.
Atmosphere
Motion City Soundtrack
Low
Mint Condition
American Head Charge

Todd
and you also have the most godawful live music venue in civilization. (400 bar)
Old 9th April 2006
London is jumping at the moment with bands if you like that new 80's thing

Blockparty
Franz Ferdinand
Editors
Strokes

Etc...

"Inteligent indie"

Last edited by Jules; 9th April 2006 at 12:40 AM..
Old 9th April 2006
Gear Head

Here's my list:

Kansas City, KS/MO

Raleigh, NC (Triangle)

Charlotte, NC

Austin, TX

Nashville, TN

Seattle/Tacoma, WA
Old 9th April 2006
Gear nut

Definately not LA. It's at the lowest point it's been since I moved here in '90.
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

I know it's not U.S. but my home town of Liverpool UK is looking good again. Has been a bit crap since The LA's packed up. Some great new bands emerging such as the dead 60's.

Try the August bank Holiday where the whole city just closes down and live bands from all of the world come to play. Every street in the city centre has a stage with about 20 various bands playing and around 1 million visitors. Crazy weekend time. It's called the Mathew street festival or better known as the Beatles festival with the cavern openeing up to bands to play as well.

Paul
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for Austin.

I moved here in October '05 from Sacramento and the music scene here still amazes me. Besides, SXSW, Austin City Limits, and Summer NAMM, there are just a vast amount of places to see music, and just about everyone is a musician. The people here are more friendly than anywhere I've been. And the government really supports musicians and venues... no sales tax on music gear, musician's healthcare, grants for bands and venues. Plus you can get a REALLY nice house here for less than $150K. About 15 minutes South East of Austin you can still get a house in the country on several acres for that price. When I was shopping for my house I looked at one that had just sold about 15 minutes from town. Kind of crappy house, but it was over an acre on a cliff that overlooked the Colorado river... $59K. In Sacramento that property would be several million.

So anyway, awesome town, great music scene, the friendliest people on Earth, and cheap houses. What more could you want?
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

A different thought & and something to consider

1. What is it specifically you are looking to do in that city? Be a band? Open a studio? Be a label? Just enjoy music? Other?

2. Perhaps consider not what IS the best music scene but what WILL be the best music scene given your answer above PLUS the infrastructure of that city, possibilities, etc.

For example: Portland is an amazing up and coming indie music scene. I came from there (Dirty Halo), Dandy Warhols, Everclear, now Modest Mouse, guys from Death Cab, Shins, Gang of Four, and so on... but to be a studio in that town, ouch!

L.A., where I am now (but would love to live back in Portland) may be at it's lowest point for music, but you simply can't beat the infrastructure, resources and talent pool almost anywhere...but I hate "living" here. I mean, AMAZING players, studios, gear rental, labels, EVERYTHING is right here... but it is hard living.

So, perhaps consider those aspects and let us know what your objective is and we can better help.

-andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com

P.S. Best of luck... exciting adventure no matter where ya go!
Old 9th April 2006
Gear nut

Austin is definitely a city that appreciates good music, plus there are probably more 'actually' beautiful women there per sqare mile than just about anywhere...thumbsup I've never lived there myself (only visited), but I used to live in Dallas, and can say that TX city folks are super-neighborly!

If it weren't so freakin' cold, I'd likely be in Minneapolis/St. Paul right now. Some things its got going for it (which are things to consider anywhere) are: strong economy (as long as you don't work for Ford), relatively low cost of living, awesome neighborhoods, lots of music venues, nice studios, very progressive population, colleges, and the freindliest people anywhere in the USA. I think that the fact that it's so cold actually contributes to the generally high quality of musicianship there: not much you can do but stay inside and work on your music all fall/winter/spring.
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L
Cool things seem to be coming out of Toronto... If they ever get more than a week or two of "summer" I'd love to move up there for a while.
You've got to be kidding! Southern Ontario has the stinkiest, sweatiest July/August anywhere! 35-40 deg C for 6+ weeks!! If you enjoy feeling like you're living in someone's underarm (air quality included!), Toronto is your place - that goes for music as well (kidding...)

Toronto has a scene, and there's a glut of up and coming bands - as a player it sux cos there's little money in gigging anymore. This in turn leads to a lot of bands with no bread to record.

The grass is always greener - luckily, the grass is pretty fine here ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search