Login / Register

Please Recommend a $1500 Keyboard/WStation (Piano Sound Priority)
New Reply
Subscribe
frankthefunky1
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear addict

Please Recommend a $1500 Keyboard/WStation (Piano Sound Priority)

Hello fellow slutz out there, hope all is well!

I need your help!

My mother would like to purchase a full size keyboard, 88 fully weighted hammer action keys with realistic piano sound and expressive playability as a priority. She plays classical music and boogie woogie. Budget is about $1500. Sample based piano sounds are a preference as opposed to synthesis. Have been considering the Yamaha Arius, new. Not sure though. I should mention software is not an option as she wants a dedicated piece of hardware.

Of course, it crossed my mind that for about $1500 a used older workstation might be a good idea (for me at least, it would be nice to have some extra firepower around, guilty ). I was thinking perhaps a Motif 8 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-MOTIF-...item27bdec213b) or other (though I don't know if the key action or sound is what she is looking for, the Motif says 'balanced hammer action' as opposed to fully weighted, what up with that??). I saw a Triton Extreme on EBay, but I don't think the keys are right either...

A workstation, however, is not a priority, the main thing me ma cares about is 88 fully weighted keys, expressive playability and a decent to good piano sound. Used or new in that price range, leaning towards used for a better quality board. Personally I would like to get the most versatile board for the price, I am throwing in about half, but it's really for her.

In short, what would you recommend for a dedicated piano OR versatile workstation with great playability and piano sound for around $1500?

PLEASE HELP!!!! and thank you!

frank
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefunky1 View Post

I need your help!

My mother would like to purchase a full size keyboard, 88 fully weighted hammer action keys with realistic piano sound and expressive playability as a priority. She plays classical music and boogie woogie. Budget is about $1500. Sample based piano sounds are a preference as opposed to synthesis. Have been considering the Yamaha Arius, new. Not sure though. I should mention software is not an option as she wants a dedicated piece of hardware.

Of course, it crossed my mind that for about $1500 a used older workstation might be a good idea (for me at least, it would be nice to have some extra firepower around, guilty ). I was thinking perhaps a Motif 8 (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-MOTIF-...item27bdec213b) or other (though I don't know if the key action or sound is what she is looking for, the Motif says 'balanced hammer action' as opposed to fully weighted, what up with that??). I saw a Triton Extreme on EBay, but I don't think the keys are right either...

A workstation, however, is not a priority, the main thing me ma cares about is 88 fully weighted keys, expressive playability and a decent to good piano sound. Used or new in that price range, leaning towards used for a better quality board. Personally I would like to get the most versatile board for the price, I am throwing in about half, but it's really for her.

In short, what would you recommend for a dedicated piano OR versatile workstation with great playability and piano sound for around $1500?

frank
My ratings:

1. Yamaha
2. Casio Privia/Kurzweil
3. Korg/Roland

There are so many models it is hard to deal with. I play a Yamaha p-85 which was the best in it's price range.

The big disadvantage is that usually the on-board speakers are terrible, so budget for a stereo or headphones.
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to aaronsternke
I have a Fantom X8 I'm trying to sell for $1500. Really great piano sound, great action, great sound set. Really good shape. Selling because we bought a Nord Stage 2.

I'm in Portland, OR. Where are you?
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear maniac

for those looking for key action and affordability the kawai range is great. the mp 6 fits your budget perfectly.

the new mp10 is getting good key action reviews but I guess a little more than your budget will stretch. but big jump in the action quality.

the kawai range is great for people looking for a keyboard that tries to
mimic real piano action.

I am still on the older mp5 which is solid.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MP6kawai

spek
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear maniac

if you want a great piano its gotta be kurzweil
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefunky1 View Post

I need your help!

frank
I would look at a Yamaha digital piano, not a workstation. I have an older Yamaha P60 weighted, hammer action consumer digital piano that I picked up @ a costco blowout for $400. The action/playability is MUCH better than my Yamaha upright acoustic piano. The drawback is that the onboard sounds suck - but I use it to trigger Ivory/Akoustik piano etc. As you said - triggering is not an option for you so...

There are at least four decent current Yamaha digital pianos @ $1500 or less. The action/playability is worlds away better than what you will get with a workstation. The onboard sounds have progressed considerably since the P60 of 7 years ago.
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear nut

I just got the Casio Privia 3. Great action and a good sound. It's playability/response is the most 'acoustic like' I've tried. Other keyboards sound better playing single notes to my ear, but I enjoy the action and sonic response of this keyboard more, especially for playing "Classical" piano pieces.
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Gear interested

I was actually going to ask a similar question but being that I'm new decided to search to see if anyone had asked and long and behold.

My budget is about a Gee 1k less than that LOL But anyways I'm willing to spring a lil for something used that's nice.

Anyways back to your question, I went to GC yesterday and played on all the ones they had which were the Williams Overture; Casio Previa PX 130, PX 330, CDP 120, Yamaha DGX 640, P85, P95, Arius, YGP 535;

IMOP the Arius had the best feel out of all of them but also was the most expensive, on sale for $949.99. Next it would have to be a tossup between the Yamaha P95 and the Casio Previa PX 330, 3rd then would have to be Bet. the Yamaha DGX 640 and Casio CDP-120.

I really like the features that the DGX-640 has because it helps you learn new songs and shows you the chords and all that. But the feel of that Arius is like almost perfect resemblance of a real acoustic piano.

In regards to your question though I was also wondering how the key action in the Motif 8 compared to something like the Arius.

Well hope this helps you out somewhat and maybe we get some more people to post that know for sure what the deal is.
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Banned

At that price range a used Motif es8, is honestly a no brainer for what you want!
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awethentik View Post
I was actually going to ask a similar question but being that I'm new decided to search to see if anyone had asked and long and behold.

My budget is about a Gee 1k less than that LOL But anyways I'm willing to spring a lil for something used that's nice.

Anyways back to your question, I went to GC yesterday and played on all the ones they had which were the Williams Overture; Casio Previa PX 130, PX 330, CDP 120, Yamaha DGX 640, P85, P95, Arius, YGP 535;

IMOP the Arius had the best feel out of all of them but also was the most expensive, on sale for $949.99. Next it would have to be a tossup between the Yamaha P95 and the Casio Previa PX 330, 3rd then would have to be Bet. the Yamaha DGX 640 and Casio CDP-120.

I really like the features that the DGX-640 has because it helps you learn new songs and shows you the chords and all that. But the feel of that Arius is like almost perfect resemblance of a real acoustic piano.

In regards to your question though I was also wondering how the key action in the Motif 8 compared to something like the Arius.

Well hope this helps you out somewhat and maybe we get some more people to post that know for sure what the deal is.
Hey since you went to GC - did they have the one that looks like a little baby grand, but that rocks (back and forth) till it almost falls apart and has the worst action ever? Is that the Williams?
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Gear maniac

After re-reading all the replies (including my own) - she has to play them and make the decision for herself. I stand by my original yamaha digital piano idea, but that's just ME. You might not get the bonus sounds you are looking for with a synth, but there are other unexpected bonuses to be considered...
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Workstation? New?

MOX8
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Another vote for the roland fantom x8.
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Gear maniac

Roland FP7f, hands-down. The playability of this weighted action keyboard is stellar, and sounds great!

I own a Yamaha P250, which I love, and have used both the Motif & Nord Stage (also very nice), but settled on the Roland for performance.

It's a fairly simple interface, with enough options to try different sounds, without having 1000s of sounds to have to audition.

It's more of a performance digital piano, not a workstation. Still well-worth it.

Best thing to do, if the option is available, is to go to your music store and try these options out. Lots if good choices out there, but you'll know real quick which ones you like and which ones you don't.

Matt
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
I use a Kprg B200 in the studio for piano....it also has 8 or 10 other sounds, but its really a piano. It was 799.00 new, I'm sure Korg has something else similar now. 88 Weighted.

I've had tons of skeptical pianists fall in love with it. The piano are very natural and un tarted up with chorus and tons of reverb.

I'be also recorded the Casio on many occassions, also a winner. Again, its more a pino than a workstation but it feels and sounds good. Under 1K. Easy to find.

The roland is a nice synth, but I can't stand Roland pianos. Way too effected. And its more money.

The Yamaha Motif 8 is excellent, but I doubt you will find an 88 key weighted for 1500.00. Bulky to move as well.
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Head

Really either a Yamaha or Kurz for the sound...actions are great on both. The biggest question for me is, does she really need a workstation? If she's not sequencing and the like then I would go for either of those brands digital pianos...they are both top shelf.
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
At that price range a used Motif es8, is honestly a no brainer for what you want!
As a long time hardcore Yamaha fan couldn't agree more. Phenomenal sound, phenomenal feel!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search