Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

AEA vs Cloud

Anyone do a direct comparison of an AEA R44, or other AEA ribbon, and a Cloud JRS-34?
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

You can hear most of the AEA line including the R44, as well as the Cloud active and passive ribbons in our Clipalator. They were both recorded in the same session one after the other (session 5). Most major ribbons are in there, done on the same or a very similar time frame session.

War
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks. clearly a great service... I'll check it out... what pre amp was used?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just checked em out on the clipilator. I'm hearing a bit more air, as in upper high frequencies, and less bottom end, showing up as less popping, on the Cloud. Very similar though... maybe a hair more midrange clarity on the AEA R44.

That KU4 sure does sound nice...
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

The same exact path every time:

Mogami mic cable to a TRUE Systems P-Solo preamp to SSL Alpha Link conversion, exported out of Nuendo at -6dB peaking level.

War
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

You didn't ask but...there is an original 44 from RCA in there as well.

Under the Cloud JRS34 passive folder, you will see another session you can open up. That one was done alongside the RCA original.

There's your context...

War
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, War. had to adjust levels significantly but damn, they're close... RCA a bit smoother...
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

We reference peak while exporting, so yes if he strums / hits or sings a bit louder in a clip, it is going to take a hit on average volume.

Happy to help, we try very hard to bring more info before you pop off cash.

War
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We reference peak while exporting, so yes if he strums / hits or sings a bit louder in a clip, it is going to take a hit on average volume.

Happy to help, we try very hard to bring more info before you pop off cash.

War
figured... level matching is a challenge...

FYI, I had to raise the Cloud in comp w/the AEA; had to raise the RCA a bunch to match the Cloud... nothing beyond my normal efforts in this context...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

just compared the other session of the Cloud with the AEA and they are much closer, as the performances were more similar, especially in the beginning of the vocal track, which is the one I was focussing on primarily. The AC and drum tracks still show up the same differences that I was hearing before though.
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Yes, that is why we clearly mark each mic session "-5" for example, as well as provide the AKG 414 B-ULS control mic (again, session labeled) so that you can tie together the info in an even more useful way. Performance differences are human so it's the best way we could deliver a way to reference what was going on generally that day.

Always a good idea to check out that control mic, which is at the top of the mic section folder.

We go to great lengths to bring context in this way. Everything is set up the same and marked every time, the mics are sighted in with laser pointers on them to get the distance and angles right. The drums are Arbiter maple with single lug tuning system (so to tune them takes turning one lug per head, rather than up to 10) and we also check them with the Tama Tension Watch. The Yamaha acoustic guitar belongs to the studio and is always strung with the same strings and played with the same pick. The electric guitar rig is a digitally controlled but fully analog solid state Marshall, using our own preset for recall, into the studio's own 4x12 cab. The vocal is what it is, but it's pretty repeatable you gotta admit. It made sense to start with an intimate breathy phrase, and to go into the more rock style getting loud and backing off, before coming back in for proximity effect at the end. He also records and mixes locally in that studio so, he knows why the takes have to be reasonably accurate for this info.

War
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

cool.

...if god had meant us to enjoy perfect shootouts, he would have made everything else identical too...

enjoying exploring the clipilator...
Old 19th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Thanks, and yeah I agree! It's all about CONTEXT though which is why my #1 priority with the Clipalator is keeping source material identical where possible (most hardware, we use the same converter channels and cables even) and repeatable or as repeatable as we can get it. Otherwise, it's just not very real info when you cannot hear it next to things you understand.

Still, we provide video on variable items such as compressors and equalizers, since they all do such different things and it's hard to know how far something COULD have been pushed, to know more of its full potential rather than a static audio clip.

Not that it shouldn't be glaringly obvious but worth a mention, the Clipalator is there because of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of our investment so that you don't have to spend YOUR money and time. I hope this translates into us being a great place to support with purchases, rather than just trying to be another listing on the web.

There is an enormous effort on our part so that you can click that mouse.

War
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

clearly...
Old 12th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Anyone do a direct comparison of an AEA R44, or other AEA ribbon, and a Cloud JRS-34?
I have both mics here (R44CE and JRS-34-P).

IMO both are truly awesome mics with different strengths.

R44 has that huge, smooth "voice of God" quality on vocals, and handles transients beautifully on acoustic guitars.

I use the Cloud when I want more clarity in the mids/highs, and a really nice 3D quality that I've never heard with any other mic. Sounds incredible on double bass and electric guitar.

I guess I'm spoiled - I'd be disappointed if I didn't have both mics to choose from!

Cheers,

J~
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

very cool... thanks!
Old 13th November 2011
Gear addict

I love my aea r44. I record acoustic and vocals mono. It sounds like a Elvis sun era record. Or every classic huge sounding record made before 1960 No eq no nothing guitar and vocals stand about two feet back crank a tube pre. But that's what I'm going for. It's not for everyone.
Old 14th November 2011
Gear nut

If anyone is interested in buying an active JRS, hit me up. It's incredible sounding but a little overkill for my home studio.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search