are Adam A5Xs better than Alesis m1 active mk2s??
maxflinn
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

are Adam A5Xs better than Alesis m1 active mk2s??

Hi guys, i currently have a pair of Alesis which i only use for listening to music as i don't mix, i have both ports plugged to keep the bass in check, they sound pretty good for the price.

However i have the opportunity to get a new pair of Adam A5Xs at a very good price, i'm pretty sure the Adams will be better, but i'm worried they might lack bass in comparison, i don't think i could afford the A7Xs.

Will the A5Xs be a match for the Alesis basswise? And do you knowledgable folks think they would be a worthwhile upgrade? I can look at any other monitors at around the price of the A5Xs, though i don't like metal tweeters. My room is 4.5 x 4.5 sq.

Thanks in advance for your help
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
The Adam's blow away the Alesis by a long shot, they are just in different world's.

But as I told you already the A5x's are very very small, they lack low end. But they have the amazing mid and high end, stunning stereo image and detail. The Adam tweeter's are just amazing overall, so detailed yet clean and natural.

Id personally be looking at the A7X's for your room, check out the B stock's.

You did not need to make a new thread though.

New AX Series from ADAM
maxflinn
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

Hi Jomox and thanks for helping out "again", i can get some A7s cheaper than the A7Xs, how would they compare basswise to the Alesis and A5Xs? Is there anything else you could recommend at the price (600-700 euros per pair)?
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
A7's have more low end yes, but not nearly as much as the A7X's. The X series are vastly improved. The top end/mid range will be better on the A5x's over the A7's, A7's win it on low end.

Hard choice really. Sorry for not being able to help further!

You thought about a set of B&W ?
maxflinn
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

Ah it's actives all the way for me, i'm done with big expensive underpowered amps, hifi speakers and distortion. I think the best kept secret in hifi is active studio monitors.

Sounds like the A5X may be a better overall bet than the A7 then? Anyway i'll have a price on the A7Xs in a couple of hours, a friend of mine is building a house for a pro-audio dealer and can get me the monitors of my choice at trade price.

The A5Xs are coming in at just 350 euros (i'm in Ireland), i've told him if he can get the A7Xs for less than e540 to get them, he's calling into the guys store shortly and i'll know whether it's the A5X or A7Xs coming my way

edit.. Am i allowed to posts links to other Forums here?
3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Should be ok to post the link yes.

That's the only problem with the A7X and A5x, is the price difference, it's quite big. Though if you look at dv247 they have some great b stock / clearance deals.
maxflinn
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Gear interested

Thanks Jomox. I went for the A5Xs btw, should have them in a week or so, i couldn't afford the A7Xs.

One further thing, if i feel i need more bass, and buy an Adam sub7 or 8, how would i connect it up? I currently stream spotify from my laptop to an airport express, and a 3.5mm to twin 1/4inch jacks cable feeds my Alesis.

If i had one of the Adam subs with the A5Xs, could i connect the airport express to the sub, and the monitors to the xlr outs on the sub?

Apologies if this is a silly question, but i presume this is what the xlr outs on the sub are for?

I'm a member on HDD Forums btw, a computer audio and active speaker forum, there's some real interesting guys on there including several recording engineers, you might like to check it out?

Cheers...
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
To be honest I could not tell you my self. Never directly plugged in subs to studio monitors etc. The manual(S) should give you enough detail to set it up nicely.

As you ordered the A5x's please read about the burn in time and how they will likely be when you first get them on the AX thread. New AX Series from ADAM
maxflinn
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
To be honest I could not tell you my self. Never directly plugged in subs to studio monitors etc. The manual(S) should give you enough detail to set it up nicely.

As you ordered the A5x's please read about the burn in time and how they will likely be when you first get them on the AX thread. New AX Series from ADAM
I've been informed that yes, i can connect the little adams to the sub7s sat out xlr's,and feed the sub with the line in from my airport express, so if i need more bass i'm sorted, i can even remotely control the crossover via the subs remote

Can't wait to get the little Adams now
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
You'll be surprised how powerful they are considering their size. Don't push them to much though for the first 1-2 weeks.
maxflinn
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Gear interested

Yea i'll take it easy for a while. I wonder, is there a thread on here that discusses the use of active near fields for listening?

The forum i linked to has many members that use Adams, beringers, events etc, at home just for music listening, i'd love to know what the sluts think about that

EDIT, i just found such a thread
4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Gear maniac

Ok, rather than justify money spent on the gear I own, I'd rather give you a proper answer & an example to show what I'm getting at. If you are looking at the sound of these monitors as your only criteria then the answer is no the Adams may not sound better than the M1 actives, because your room will play a big part in the overall picture. So to say "Yeah run out & get a set of these" would be misleading. I have a pair of JBL LSR 4328's which do not work as well as the M1's in my room, I also have KRK's which are better than the the other two in my control room. The JBL's work perfectly in my larger tracking room, the M1's are great for my Mid sized room but not the big room or control room. You need to listen to these monitors in your space & try to pull a mix on all of them before committing to anything. See which set allows you to get a mix that translates the best. There is no point spending money before you know what will work for you in the room.
Build quality, Adams are better than Alesis M1's, but the price difference is extreme.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search