Best affordable rock drum mics
New Reply
Subscribe
chandler513
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear interested

Best affordable rock drum mics

Title basically says it all. It's a 5 piece set with 3 crash, a ride and hi-hat, pretty basic set up. Also there is a double kick pedal but it's not used much at high speeds. I'm looking at some shure pg set its 6 piece ($400) and has 3 toms, a bass drum, and 2 overheads and I was thinkin of gettin a second probably nicer kick pedal to do beater and the back, and then using a sm57 on the snare. I just wanna see what other combo's that are about that price range that you think would be "better" Also I'm recording in a drum room so I'm not worried about the room or anything! Thanks!
Deleted User
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Deleted User

The Shure DMK 57 52 drum Mic set comes with the 52 (great kick drum Mic), three 57's and 3 tom mics. That'd be a great budget kit.

Pair of matched condensor mics for the overheads and you're laughing.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Gearslutz.com App
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

maybe just rent something nice ?
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear addict

This is probably over your budget but an easy way to get a good rock sound would be to buy an audix kit with d2 x2 (toms), d4 (f.tom), d6 (kick) and an i5 (snare bottom). Then buy a pair of either rode nt-5 or oktava mk012 for overheads, sm57 (snare top) and perhaps something like a rode nt1-a for a room mic depending on ur budget. All this gear can usually be found used on ebay really easily.

Pete
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
maybe just rent something nice ?
good idea.
I like to record drums on 2-3 mics, but it of course depends on the material, as I can't imagine recording heavy metal on 2 mics...
anyway OH - oktava's mk012 - cheap and brilliant
and then audix (can't remember now) i6? for kick
and immortal sm57 - snare
actually if your budget is really tight - then sm57 could do a lot

what i really like is mk-12 as OH and then miking kick from about 1 m distance (you need to find spot yourself),

peace

30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear nut

Is $400 your budget? If not, I think this setup could get you somewhere.

Overheads - x2 ATM450 (punchy!)
Toms - x2 Cad M179
Snare - SM57
Kick - Beta 52
Room - MXL R144
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Really need to know what your total budget is. All of us want to help, but don't really know how to help just yet. For me, a good safe kick mic to go with is a Beta52. To me, it's the most shapeable kick mic with the ability to sound warm and fluffy as well as 'clicky' for your metal genres. For snare, I prefer the Beta57 on top and an i5 on bottom. For toms, Oh and room mics, the CAD M179's aren't bad for any of them. You can buy 2 3-packs from Zen pro and have a pair of oh's, a pair of room mics and your rack toms with maybe another cheaper kick mic on the floor tom unless you want another M179. Or you can put a 3rd M179 on floor and mic your room with a mono 179 instead of pairs. I prefer the stereo pair so I can pan hard left and right since they are literally picking of the most information of all the drum mics(yes, even more than the OH's in my opinion), then I use either a D112 on floor tom or my PL33, which is EV's newest kick mic offering, on the floor tom. As usual, your mileage may vary, but this works for me....
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Kick- Electro Voice e602 $150
Snare- sm57 $89
Tom- Electro Voice 468 $110 (much better than sm57!)
Tom- ""
Flr- Electro Voice e602 $150 (great too if someone has a 2 kick drum setup, then you can mic both rack toms with one 468, and throw the other 468 on the floor tom)
OHs- Little Blondies $220 for the pair

Grand total: $829, and you really wont regret it. You could drop that to about $600 or less if you buy used.

The 468's sound great on bass cabinets with 10" cones, and the e602 sounds great with 15" cones and horns.

Blondies sound great on acoustic guitars, as room mics and overheads.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear maniac

i'm getting great results with an audix d6 on kick, 2 i5s on snare, little blondie overheads, an sm52 on floor tom and a 421 on the rack tom.

you could probably switch the 421 to a 57 or something else to keep costs lower.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear Head

Personally I'd spend most of the money on a pair of above average overheads, then add a kick drum mic (you'll go far with the standard D112 or Beta 52)
You can definitely make great sounding recordings this way. Then, when you can afford it you can slowly start adding more close mics. Mics aren't the place to cheap out - they're probably the easiest type of gear to outgrow. Quality over quantity every time.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jonathan jetter
the absolute cheapest that i'd feel comfortable with:

kick- Sennheiser E602
snare- SM57
toms- SM57
OH- MXL 990
hat- MXL 991

should come in around $650 or so.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Gear interested

For the money, you can't go wrong with an Audio Technica ATM25 on the kick, Sennheiser E604's on the toms, SM57 on snare and a SM7 on hats. Maybe a matched pair of Rode Nt5's for the overs and you're good to go.

www.matchlessmix.com
-A professional online mixing service for the most discriminating music makers.

chandler513
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Gear interested

Thank you all so much!!! This has helped a lot!! And I'd say my actual budget probably could come out to about $800-900, it means a lot guys!
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Check out Zen Pro Audios Drum Mic Bundle! $1199 (can be less if you remove the room mic). You get some good mics that can also be used for recording other instruments (CAD M179, ATM450, Audix i5 etc)

ZenPro Drum Mic Bundle | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com

This is a very effective kit, keeping it to 8 mics including a room mic, and capturing the full fury of whatever your drummer can unleash. You can spend a lot more money and not necessarily gain much if any more in sound when it comes to mix time. I am a recordist and a drummer, I've been through a lot of mics and these mics essentially reflect my common reach when capturing the kit. All mics ship with their respective packaging and mounts. You can add 8 of my ZenPro Series 1 Mogami cables for a great price too.

E/V ND868: Kick
A very malleable sound, it doesn't deliver its own sound as much as other mics yet can be hammered into what you need every time

Audix i5: Snare
Full bodied with a crisp attack, it blows an SM57 out of the water, all the while sounding like the whole drum and not just the batter head

CAD M179: Toms (3)
An incredible tom mic for rack and floor, the side address design keeps them out of the way of cymbals and drummers who don't aim well

Audio Technica ATM450: Overheads (2)
Full kit sound and excellent cymbal detail are delivered here, they bring energy to your recordings that cannot be matched in this price range

ShinyBox 46MX: Room
Big ribbon sound that brings size and depth when used in front of the kit, capture the thunder of toms, kick and room resonance and blend to taste

*Ribbon mic can be removed from bundle by selecting option at top of page.
6th February 2012
Old 6th February 2012
Gear interested

Just wanted to post this... and this thread had the most tags for a search. sorry if its a slight bit off topic.

Not sure if anyone has ever tried using a sm52 or any kick drum mic for a floor tom.. but in case someone is, i would recommend not..

I just got done mixing a drums on a song, for our setup we used sm57's on everything but the floor and kick. in which we used 52's. Obviously we knew the kick would be okay, but we thought that the 52 would accent some good low end on the floor tom.. but when gating and eqing the floor tom, i ran into a bunch of problems with the frequency that the 52, or any clone, picks up. the ride cymbal is very hard to gate out of a floor tom mix, and the frequency picked up from the 52 by the ride cymbal is almost impossible to cover up or mask out of this 52 mic.

If we had used a 57, we would have been able to post our high freq's on the tom and not gotten such a muddy ride cymbal in our mix.

once again sorry if thats off topic, just incase some searches sm52 and floor tom, i wanted them to find this before they make the same mistake
chandler513
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

Well thanks for that tip! I don't think it was too off topic! I hadnt heard that so thank you for the knowledge
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search