Can anyone tell me what mic this lion is using here?
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me what mic this lion is using here?

Can anyone identify the mic this lion is using?

Don't suppose anyone knows what the vocal chain was? I really like the sound of the growls that big cat makes at the start of the MGM movies, and I've got a bunch of lions coming in for a session soon.

Maybe there's someone related to Alfred Hitchcock who might be able to tell me.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Don't be silly, it's an old SM7!
Old 27th August 2011
Gear maniac

Old 27th August 2011
Gear maniac

Obviously messing with us.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

I was always impressed with that Roar! myself and often wondered how they were able to get such a huge warm sound without using plugins.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

That is a Stanley Church microphone. Nice!!

Church built these with Neumann capsules and heads, 6072 tube iirc... Custom for MGM. I think the mic body was shockmounted in a yoke with some elastic like surgical tubing.

BUY BUY BUY !!

Hell, that picture would make a nice bit of studio wall-art.

-Dave
Old 27th August 2011
Gear nut

....what a cat!!
Old 27th August 2011
Gear nut

that lion just looks like a big pussy to me.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

The Church Mic it's Purrrfect!
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

sm5 maybe?
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post

Church built these with Neumann capsules and heads, 6072 tube iirc... Custom for MGM. I think the mic body was shockmounted in a yoke with some elastic like surgical tubing.

BUY BUY BUY !!

Hell, that picture would make a nice bit of studio wall-art.

-Dave
I hope you're not lion to us Dave.

Yeah I'll get my coat...
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
Can anyone identify the mic this lion is using?

Don't suppose anyone knows what the vocal chain was? I really like the sound of the growls that big cat makes at the start of the MGM movies, and I've got a bunch of lions coming in for a session soon.

Maybe there's someone related to Alfred Hitchcock who might be able to tell me.
'Shopped.

There are actually a number of quite different "Leo" recordings at the beginnings of MGM movies. I notice it all the time. (I watch a lot of old movies -- most of them talkies.)
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
'Shopped.
Gosh, really?

I thought Mr. Hitchcock was asking about breath mints.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

I saw an original print of the photo last night, it's part of an exhibition of photos from the Hollywood golden age that's on in London right now. At the National Portrait Gallery (they've also got an exhibition of Rolling Stones photos from the 60s in the downstairs room concurrently, which is pretty cool too).

I am sad enough to have caught myself thinking "that looks like an SM7" when I saw it.

The photo's genuine, of the period. It's not Photoshopped. It was taken by Clarence Sinclair Bull and I can see why you might think it was doctored. Sinclair Bull was a master of black'n'white exposure/contrast: there are some truly amazing photos of his in the exhibition where things look uncanny, almost 3D. There's another one of Hitchcock sitting opposite the lion at a dinner table.

Presumably just out of shot are some well trained lion handlers ready to step in in case Leo there decided to gnaw on a bit of Alfred Hitchcock. He had quite a bit of meat on him after all.
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post

-Dave
I guess that'd be the ultimate mic for a death metal vocalist then.
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Gosh, really?

I thought Mr. Hitchcock was asking about breath mints.
I was kidding about the Photoshop angle.

I'm sure this was composited the old-fashioned way, in the darkroom.

Quote:
I saw an original print of the photo last night, it's part of an exhibition of photos from the Hollywood golden age that's on in London right now. At the National Portrait Gallery (they've also got an exhibition of Rolling Stones photos from the 60s in the downstairs room concurrently, which is pretty cool too).

I am sad enough to have caught myself thinking "that looks like an SM7" when I saw it.

The photo's genuine, of the period. It's not Photoshopped. It was taken by Clarence Sinclair Bull and I can see why you might think it was doctored. Sinclair Bull was a master of black'n'white exposure/contrast: there are some truly amazing photos of his in the exhibition where things look uncanny, almost 3D. There's another one of Hitchcock sitting opposite the lion at a dinner table.

Presumably just out of shot are some well trained lion handlers ready to step in in case Leo there decided to gnaw on a bit of Alfred Hitchcock. He had quite a bit of meat on him after all.
Of course, I don't doubt this is a period shot. I've seen it a number of times before.

But -- with no disparagement of a fine photog intended -- I really, really, really do not believe this image is not composited.

For one thing, it looks composited (aside from contrast issues which I wasn't even considering) -- just look at the way the bottom hem of the curtain of the pedastal 'drapes' on the supposed floor. And look at the shadow around the edges of the lion and pedestal. Honest, I'd bet $5 on this. And I only bet when I'm sure of winning. Unfortunately for the purposes of such a bet, my knowledge of Hollywood practice and process would preclude me accepting what we might like to think of as authoritative sources on this. So, even if you have your finger on a write up suggesting that this was the result of a 'real' shoot with Hitch and the lion were really there simultaneously, I'm afraid I would personally not be able to accept that as true.

One last thing, now that we're talking about Hitchcock's presumed proximity to the lion -- that proximity would appear to be about 8 to 10 feet. Now, if that was the case, that would have to be one huge lion. Look at his size relative to Hitchcock. African male lions max out at about 4 feet high (measured to the shoulder). This guy appears to be considerably bigger in comparison to Hitchcock (although, granted, Hitch was no giant, himself, at 5'7").
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear

Well when I first saw it I assumed, because it wasn't described as a collage (just a photo), that it was a stuffed lion. It sort of occured to me that it might have been a collage, but because none of the descriptions said it was I wasn't sure.

I guess there's only one way to be sure... by examining the polar pattern of a a Stanley Church microphone! It's positioned behind the lion, after all. If it's a Cardioid, then the photo is evidently a composite.

Old 27th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well when I first saw it I assumed, because it wasn't described as a collage (just a photo), that it was a stuffed lion. It sort of occured to me that it might have been a collage, but because none of the descriptions said it was I wasn't sure.

I guess there's only one way to be sure... by examining the polar pattern of a a Stanley Church microphone! It's positioned behind the lion, after all. If it's a Cardioid, then the photo is evidently a composite.

How about focus?

The lion's mane and Hitchcock's comb back are both in pretty good focus, despite being at opposite extremes of the focal field... yet the spot and the mic boom which presumably stretches more or less across and between Hitch and the lion are not in good focus nearer the camera.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search