Drumbrella.
New Reply
Subscribe
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording's Avatar

Drumbrella.

I'm sure many of us saw Eric Valentine on last weeks episode of Pensado's Place(youtube), but if not...

You HAVE to see his "Drumbrella".

- Pensado's Place - #31 - Eric Valentine - YouTube (at 8:45)

Also check out his robotic mic in the segment right before the drumbrella. Cool stuff.
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

The mic robot fascinated me the most. Being able to move the mic like that while the guitarist is playing to find the sweet spot is just genius. I bet that could be made fairly cheap with all the gadgets we have now.

The drumbrella was really great too though. I really like erics style of engineering. One of my favorite pensados place episodes.
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

holy shit
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Gear Guru

That brings back memories - I had a drumbrella at my old studio.

the black tape is covering up the legend: "House of Weenies"

I sawed off the pole and put a big wad of foam over the open end. People would always ask me if there was "a mic in there". I said no, the foam is so that if the rope breaks, the jagged pipe won't take a core sample of your brain.

IMO, the drums themselves usually sounded better "without", but it was very useful in taming the bleed into the rest of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Drumbrella.-drumbrella.jpg  

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a question about this , does anyone know if the underside of EV's drumbrella is reflective or not ?

Thanks ,

Brett

www.miloco.co.uk/studios/123-studios/brett-shaw/

123productions.co.uk

soundcloud.com/brett-shaw-123

Recently been working with- Say Lou Lou (Sony), Daughter (4D), Swim Deep (Chess Club), The Kooks ( Virgin), Eliza Doolittle (EMI),Kyla La Grange (Sony), Splashh ( Luv Luv Luv) Ghostpoet (Brownswood), Jamie T (Pacemaker), Jack Bruce (Cream), Funeral Party (Sony), Rita Ora (Roc Nation) Ed Sheeran
9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett 123 View Post
I had a question about this , does anyone know if the underside of EV's drumbrella is reflective or not ?

Thanks ,

Brett
I'd heard of this thing, but wow.

The underside is absorptive which you can see in the video. Plus, he talks about using it to control the room reflections. A hard surface close above drums is usually a bad thing (reflections).

It would be interesting to see up close but I suspect the key to making this work is to have the absorption in the drumbrella be effective down to at least 200hz if not lower since the fundamental of the snare is around there. So 4" of 703/rockwool would probably do that. Thoughts?
1st October 2011
Old 1st October 2011
GearMonster~!

LOVE the drumbrella concept
AND the robotic mic @Gharper23

hey solo-bration,

how did you get your link to:
- Pensado's Place - #31 - Eric Valentine - YouTube (at 8:45)
to point exactly to the time you mentioned?

pretty damn snazzy
1st October 2011
Old 1st October 2011
Banned

I Gotta make me a mic robot! That's cool. Seriously.
1st October 2011
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
I Gotta make me a mic robot! That's cool. Seriously.

This made a semi big splash in the 90's. Lot's of the bigger studios had one or two. I think the company is long gone though.

See post #13:
Robotic Mic Stand

john
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear interested

Hey Man can you please explain how you went about to put this together??...i am really interested in building one..just not too sure how..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
That brings back memories - I had a drumbrella at my old studio.

the black tape is covering up the legend: "House of Weenies"

I sawed off the pole and put a big wad of foam over the open end. People would always ask me if there was "a mic in there". I said no, the foam is so that if the rope breaks, the jagged pipe won't take a core sample of your brain.

IMO, the drums themselves usually sounded better "without", but it was very useful in taming the bleed into the rest of the room.
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpgv View Post
Hey Man can you please explain how you went about to put this together??...i am really interested in building one..just not too sure how..
I bought the umbrella from a warehouse sale. If you look carefully in the photo there are big strips of black gaffer's tape on the 'wings'. They are covering up the words "House of Weenies" which was a hot dog place in my area. For years, I just left it saying "House of Weenies". But one day, a certain young lady I knew was coming to visit the studio, and so I got serious about 'aesthetics'.

It's just a big old 'picnic table' kind of umbrella. I am sure if you haunt the garage sales you can get one cheap. I opened the umbrella, and THEN sawed off the pole just below where the ribs locked. Later I found you can still close and open it without the shaft - but of course easier to cut it when fully opened.

I covered the jagged edge of the pole with foam as described above and put an S-hook on the top. The umbrella could quickly be unhooked and put away if not needed. If you look carefully at the photo, you can see there are two small pulleys - one directly above the umbrella and one near the wall. There is a eyebolt screwed into the wall about chest-high to tie off the rope.

For safety, I also put a couple of knots in the rope. Should the eyebolt pull out or the rope slip off, the umbrella will only drop as far as the knot will let it.

Each 'pie slice' of the umbrella - the alternating red and yellow sections - has a triangular piece of auralex glued to the inside to cut down on ugly reflections. Some may find the reflections nice, rather than ugly, so I suppose you could attach the foam with Velcro instead of glue.

It was interesting to play with the height of the umbrella - by winching it up and down on the pulleys, you can kind of 'tune' the drum space.

As I said, in general I preferred the sound with it way up or even removed. Its big advantage IMO was keeping the drums out of the guitar mics. As you can see the drum 'booth' is semi-open. When overdubbing drums, I might even take them out of the booth and set them up in the middle of the floor. To me the whole booth concept is a necessary evil for live tracking.
16th May 2012
Old 16th May 2012
Gear maniac

Here is this Armatron, is a toy from the 80´s, is strong enough to hold a MD-421 and some others, you can move the arm in every position, plus the entire robot moves with little tires in also, every position. You can find them very cheap in ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Drumbrella.-dsc00269.jpg   Drumbrella.-dsc00272.jpg  
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

It seems there are quite a few small robot arm toys/kits nowadays. Maybe a Lego Mindstorms set could do this pretty easily?

It is pretty cool, I'd like to add the ability to rotate the mic a bit, to go off axis a bit.
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording's Avatar

"House of Weenies"??? And you taped over it!?
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Gear nut

Fascinating. I never thought of doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording View Post
My first thought, too.
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to babooino
Quote:
lol
27th September 2012
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
the full legend was: "House of Weenies Salutes the BiCentennial 1776-1976"

I too, thought it was hip and ironic for the first 10 years or so that I had it. But the BiCentennial was already way in the past when I got the umbrella, and as it receded farther, it seemed dumber and dumber.

Around the time of that photo, I was "on a Brigade" to spiff up the studio to impress a certain female guest who was coming over...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search