Eric Clapton playing on Abbey Road?
New Reply
Subscribe
Glenn Bucci
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Eric Clapton playing on Abbey Road?

I was told by a good source that Eric was the 2nd lead player on The End on Abbey Road. This is the song when the the 3 lead players take turns. George is the first guitar player, and clearly John Lennon is the third guitarist. I was always told Paul played the middle part. However after talking to this source, and listening carefully, the last lead the 2nd guitar player does is very Clapton-ish of that time period. That tone and bending the note up with that feel. It does sound like Eric, and very few guitar players in the 1960's could play like that. I never heard Paul ever have that tone or playing style with the Beatles or during his solo career afterwards.

Can anyone confirm Eric being on this song?
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

He played on several tracks on Abbey Road. (Just checked some references, this is not the case)
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Wiki
Quote:

McCartney said, "I wanted [the medley] to end with a little meaningful couplet, so I followed the Bard and wrote a couplet."[2] In his 1980 interview with Playboy, John Lennon acknowledged McCartney's authorship by saying, "That's Paul again ... He had a line in it, 'And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give,' which is a very cosmic, philosophical line. Which again proves that if he wants to, he can think."[3] Lennon misquoted the line; the actual words are, "And, in the end, the love you take/ Is equal to the love you make."[4]

Recording began on 23 July 1969, when the Beatles recorded a one-minute, thirty-second master take that was extended via overdubs to two minutes and five seconds. At this point, the song was called "Ending."[5] The first vocals for the song were added on 5 August, additional vocals and guitar overdubs were added on 7 August, and bass and drums on 8 August, the day the Abbey Road cover picture was taken.[6] Orchestral overdubs were added 15 August, and the closing piano and accompanying vocal on 18 August.[7]

All four Beatles have a solo in "The End", including a Ringo Starr drum solo. Starr disliked solos; he preferred to cater drumwork to whoever sang in a particular performance.[8] The take in which he performed the solo originally had guitar and tambourine accompaniment,[5] but other instruments were muted during mixing giving the effect of a drum solo. The additional instruments were restored for a remix on the Anthology 3 compilation album.[9] The drum solo was also later used at the beginning of "Get Back" on the 2006 album Love.

McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon perform a rotating sequence of three, two-bar guitar solos.[1][10] The solos begin approximately 53 seconds into the song and end just before the final piano part. Lennon described it in his 1970 interview with Rolling Stone: "There's a nice little bit I played on Abbey Road. Paul gave us each a piece, a little break where Paul plays, George plays and I play."[11] The first two bars are played by McCartney, the second two by Harrison, and the third two by Lennon, then the sequence repeats.[1] Each has a distinctive style which McCartney felt reflected their personalities: McCartney's playing included string bends similar to his lead guitar work on "Another Girl" from the Help! album; Harrison's was melodic with slides yet technically advanced; and Lennon's was rhythmic, stinging, and had the heaviest distortion. Immediately after Lennon's third solo, the piano chords of the final line "And in the end..." begin. Then the orchestration arrangement takes over with a humming chorus and Harrison playing a final guitar solo that ends the song.

"The End" was initially intended to be the final track on Abbey Road, but it is followed by "Her Majesty". In the first practice mix of the medley, constructed on 30 July, "Her Majesty" followed "Mean Mr. Mustard" (on the released version of the album, "Her Majesty" begins with the excised final chord of "Mean Mr. Mustard"). According to sound engineer John Kurlander, McCartney said, "I don't like 'Her Majesty,' throw it away." Kurlander cut it out, but said, "I'd been told never to throw anything away, so after he left I picked it up off the floor, put about 20 seconds of red leader tape before it, and stuck it onto the end of the edit tape." When McCartney heard "Her Majesty" in its new position he liked it and decided that it should remain on the album.[12]
To my knowledge, there is no Clapton on Abbey Road. Since it's "commonly known", I guess you can link articles to him and various Beatles saying this and list the "several tracks" he plays on.

I know of one track Clapton is provably on, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and that is on the White Album.
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Wikpedia references him singing along Paul for backups on "Something". That is what I was referencing and assumed he would have been on other things but it appears not.

The book "Recording the Beatles" makes no reference to him being on Abbey Road.
Glenn Bucci
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Wiki is not a very trusted source for accurate information. The information you shared and what we have been told, but I sense it may not be accurate.
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wikpedia references him singing along Paul for backups on "Something". That is what I was referencing and assumed he would have been on other things but it appears not.
Ummm, yeah, it certainly appears not. But you didn't "assume" it at all. This is what you typed, not as an "assumption", but as fact:

Quote:
He played on several tracks on Abbey Road. Yes, that is commonly known and he has discussed this along with the Beatles. There are even some recordings out on the internet where you can hear his separate tracks on various cuts.
You said definitively that he "played on several tracks" on Abbey Road, it was "common knowledge", admitted by all involved, and there were tracks to listen to as evidence.

Unless, of course, John Lennon would lie about it to Rolling Stone, during his most anti-Beatle period. I "sense" he would not.
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nosebleedaudio
Paul is the third...
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Wiki is not a very trusted source for accurate information. The information you shared and what we have been told, but I sense it may not be accurate.
Actually, wikipedia can be a very accurate source of information. It just depends on who wrote the article. More precisely, it depends on whether the person who wrote the article cites reliable sources. With respect to the "The End" article in question, the author cites both the "Beatles Anthology" and a book called "Revolution in the Head" to verify the claim that McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon all took turns soloing on that song. Thus, I think it reasonable to conclude that no, in fact, Clapton did not play on that song. To my knowledge, the only Beatles song Clapton ever played on was "While My Gtar Gently Weeps."
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Wiki is not a very trusted source for accurate information.
On Wiki, the info you take is equal to the info you make.

-R
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear interested

"The order was Paul first, then George, then John".
Geoff Emerick
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
On Wiki, the info you take is equal to the info you make.

-R
Nicely played, sir.
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcrounders View Post
Actually, wikipedia can be a very accurate source of information. It just depends on who wrote the article. More precisely, it depends on whether the person who wrote the article cites reliable sources. With respect to the "The End" article in question, the author cites both the "Beatles Anthology" and a book called "Revolution in the Head" to verify the claim that McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon all took turns soloing on that song. Thus, I think it reasonable to conclude that no, in fact, Clapton did not play on that song. To my knowledge, the only Beatles song Clapton ever played on was "While My Gtar Gently Weeps."
To me, the above is verifiable data, and below is not.

Quote:
I was told by a good source...
I don't think there's a cover-up or anything, either...to me, it's obviously Paul. He sounds like himself--compare it to his solos on "Taxman", "Good Morning Good Morning" and "Sgt Pepper". He has a very baroque approach, a bit up and down the fretboard, a bit melodic, a bit wild. Can't imagine him off the plate and quietly substituted with Clapton...not when the other three are throwing down solos. It was the last gig in a way--captured live in that studio, understood and intended by all to be "The End".

You can hear my songs HERE.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search