New Reply
Subscribe
I play in a ban
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to I play in a ban
BFD's 8 bit kit

It's been out for a while now, anyone diggin it?

It seems to be more overlooked than any of the other add ons for BFD.
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

I like it, though you really have to tweak some of the samples to get usable sounds. There's some really whacky sounds that just sound awful as is. It's very unique though, and that's the main selling point.
I play in a ban
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

Thanks, it's going for $100 at GC now so I reserved a copy. For the most part I do hip hop influenced tunes so hopefully I'll find it more useful than the samples that came with BFD.

I figured I couldn't pass it up for that $$ though
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

Yep, GC are blowing them out at $100 each. They've only got one or two in each store at that price tho', so you might have to phone around a bit.

I think a lot of people pass it over because they think the actual samples are 8 Bit -- when the real reason it's called 8 Bit Kit is because it was produced by S. Husky Hoskulds of 8 Bit Audio.

It's certainly way different to any of the other BFD packs out there, but if you're in to experimenting with drum sounds (layering 808 or 909 kicks with real kicks, stacking up detuned tom samples, re-amping drum machine sounds, combining the attack of one sample with the body of another) then 8BK is ideal. There's some really unique stuff on there -- my personal favourites would have to be the 808 and Drumtrax recorded through the multi-mic'ed PA, the frame drums and African tambourines, and the Fight Bell and saucepan lids.
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006

I'd like to try it, I always find the guitar centers website particularly uneasy to use. Anyone have an email address of a guitar center I could order this off?

narco
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

Your best bet is probably the phone!
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

8-bit for $100! Wow. Totally worth it. Very unique sounds, some ugly, some worth it.
Now, if I could see a reduced price on that Jazz/Funk add-on...
I play in a ban
21st March 2006
Old 21st March 2006
Gear addict

Lovin 8 bit kit

Now just gotta wait for my Korg padKontrol to get here.
21st March 2006
Old 21st March 2006
Lives for gear

bought it when it came out, i NEVER use it. at best its OK, maybe its just a little too out there for me. there's something about it that feels like its not very usable.
I play in a ban
22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmiguel
bought it when it came out, i NEVER use it. at best its OK, maybe its just a little too out there for me. there's something about it that feels like its not very usable.
I would have to agree and disagree.

(Please note that I have not even had these samples for a week so far, but...)

I agree some of the samples are way too out there (I don't think I'll ever find a use for a bass drum with chains hanging off of it or those crazy amplified bass drums); at the same time many of the samples fill a niche and CAN be very usable.

To each his own, it's obvious it's not for everyone and certainly not for everything. I must say for $100 I can't complain..

22nd March 2006
Old 22nd March 2006
Lives for gear

8 bit definitely cannot be your go to kit. You'd have to go with the basic set or one of the add-ons. For $100--money well spent because it does provide some interesting options.
23rd March 2006
Old 23rd March 2006

would anybody consider buying a copy to ship to me internationally? pm me.

and I also want the albini add on too..

thanks
narco
23rd March 2006
Old 23rd March 2006
Gear addict

narco -- whereabouts are you? If you're picking up both, let me know & I'll find somebody that's doing a deal.
23rd March 2006
Old 23rd March 2006
Gear maniac

I really like it, and tend to use it together with XFL. After BFD 1.5 with the ability to tune in the decay of a drum, it really helped. Most of the sounds need some tweeking to sound right, so I usually end up with 2 BFD plugins at the same time (because of the BFD's distorted room mics don't blend in with the other kits' room mics)...

The 8bit kit is really something completely different to the factory kits, so I'd buy it just for the flavor!
23rd March 2006
Old 23rd March 2006
Gear addict

You know you can turn off the 8BK's room mics entirely using the output mapping window? It's *generally* the PZM channel (not the main room pair) that's really distorted to Fantomasic proportions, just set it to MUTE for any 8BK pieces in the output mapping panel.

Also note the 8BK kit piece infos in the browser -- Husky played around a bit with that channel, so you'll find some drums have the PZM channel re-amped through the PA and Edison horn (and sound relatively normal), whereas some are recorded through the notorious Spy Mics (and sound like a pit-bull on a bad trip having its face burned off with a blowtorch)

HTH,
Angus.
25th March 2006
Old 25th March 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

does anyone know GC's sku for this? the person i talked to at my local guitar center couldn't even find it in the computer.
cpu
25th March 2006
Old 25th March 2006
cpu
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to cpu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak
does anyone know GC's sku for this? the person i talked to at my local guitar center couldn't even find it in the computer.
sku is 102957180
27th March 2006
Old 27th March 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_FX
You know you can turn off the 8BK's room mics entirely using the output mapping window? It's *generally* the PZM channel (not the main room pair) that's really distorted to Fantomasic proportions, just set it to MUTE for any 8BK pieces in the output mapping panel.

Also note the 8BK kit piece infos in the browser -- Husky played around a bit with that channel, so you'll find some drums have the PZM channel re-amped through the PA and Edison horn (and sound relatively normal), whereas some are recorded through the notorious Spy Mics (and sound like a pit-bull on a bad trip having its face burned off with a blowtorch)
Brilliant - as usual!
Thanks Angus!
The FXPansion team have IMHO the best customer support in the trade.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search