Login / Register
 
ProCo vs Mogami and Canare Snakes
New Reply
Subscribe
KurtR
Thread Starter
#1
16th March 2006
Old 16th March 2006
  #1
Gear addict
 
KurtR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 303

Thread Starter
KurtR is offline
ProCo vs Mogami and Canare Snakes

I will be using it for a semi-high end home studio but the price diffrence between them is about 300 dollars for a 24 channel. The ProCo also comes with 4 TRS sends so it would be easy to use headphones instead of getting another 4 channel snake. Is it really worth the extra money? I know many will say go spend it but I am unsure it will make a real difference worth the money and having to get another snake for headphones. I still might get a mogami/gotham quad cable to go straight to my vocal pre's bypassing the snake. If you have anything to say please speak!
#2
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #2
Gear maniac
 
Shandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 230

Shandy is offline
I have always had nothing but good experiences with ProCo, be it studio gear or road gear. I have little experience with Mogami, so I really couldn't give you much info there. But the TRS sends on that ProCo snake are REALLY handy...
#3
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
statikcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 807

statikcat is offline
Mogami>Proco
#4
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #4
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: New Zealand/Switzerland/guitar case
Posts: 9,714

matt thomas is offline
My studio is wired with mogami, but I just oredered a canare 24 channel snake, after reading a few posts on the subject. hopefully I made the right decission! Although I'm sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..
#5
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,569

crypticglobe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
My studio is wired with mogami, but I just oredered a canare 24 channel snake, after reading a few posts on the subject. hopefully I made the right decission! Although I'm sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..
Mogami sounds better, for SURE. The Pro Co is quality cable that will last though. Just don't ever substitute one with a Mogami cable. You will immediately regret any cash you spend on the Pro Co just because of the sound.
__________________
Steve Lamm
www.cgrmusic.com
TER
#6
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #6
TER
Gear maniac
 
TER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Newburyport, MA, USA
Posts: 183

TER is offline
And the longer the snake, the bigger the difference!

-tom
KurtR
Thread Starter
#7
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #7
Gear addict
 
KurtR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 303

Thread Starter
KurtR is offline
I know Mogami is better then ProCo but I am just unsure because the ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes. I just don't know if the Mogami is worth all of this extra effort, time, and money. It's going to be ≤50ft.
#8
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
XSergeantD's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,050

XSergeantD is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes.
Don't understand what you meant there, but it sounds like you already made up your mind because of the $ factor and not the sonic factor. And I'm also guessing you don't want to put adaptors on the end of the mogami to use 4 of the chnls for HP feeds. So I think you already had your answer before you posted here, you're getting the ProCo. To save $ and have Mogami, make the snake yourself, even if you're not experienced at making cables, it's the easiest piece of soldering type work out there.
__________________
- Brent - www.StudioAtThePalms.com
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
#9
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 293

BobSchwenkler is offline
I would say that even for the soldering experience alone (if you don't know how to do it yet), making a Mogami snake would be worth it.

Between the Mogami and the Canare, without taking sound into account, the Mogami is more flexible (literally), and each channel is numbered. The numbers on the channels is a small but very helpful "feature" (if bulk snake cable could be said to have features...).
#10
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
TanTan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,129

TanTan is offline
i didn't compare cables sound but i'm going to rewire my whole studio soon when i'll finaly get my mixing desk ... i have a few Mogami multi cables , i also have Klotz and Belden , i'm looking for the best SOUNDING cables out there , any thoughts ?
#11
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 16,209

Sounds Great is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Mogami sounds better, for SURE. The Pro Co is quality cable that will last though. Just don't ever substitute one with a Mogami cable. You will immediately regret any cash you spend on the Pro Co just because of the sound.

You need to do some double blind listening tests. The Mogami won't sound better than the Pro Co, or a Hosa for that matter (assuming the Hosa is actually working).
__________________
-Rob

Ice in her eyes, frozen tears could never be a surprise
You can't erase a dream you can only wake me up
Quote
1
#12
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 156

mitchell is offline
I can't vouch for the sound either way, but I've soldered a number of my own Mogami snakes, and it's not picnic- the wires are VERY small and delicate, so it's very easy to accidentally cut when trying to strip and/or melt insulation. From the standpoint of making them yourself, Belden is WAY easier to work with. The sires are colored (instead of having tiny numbers like the Mogami), and it's considerably stiffer, so it's a lot easier to solder.

I haven't done any comparisons sound-wise as the Belden snake was a custom job for my live keyboard rig.

mitchell
smk
#13
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
  #13
smk
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 239

smk is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
You need to do some double blind listening tests. The Mogami won't sound better than the Pro Co, or a Hosa for that matter (assuming the Hosa is actually working).
I have never been able to get a grasp on this subject of cables - if one brand sounds better than the other or not. But how can it not, though? Isn't saying that all cables sound alike just like saying all mixers sound alike so just get the cheapest one? If this isn't true then why would anyone ever pay more for a Mogami? We would all use ProCos...Unless you are paying for more durability...
#14
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Columbus County, North Carolina
Posts: 2,426

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
T.RayBullard is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD
Don't understand what you meant there, but it sounds like you already made up your mind because of the $ factor and not the sonic factor. And I'm also guessing you don't want to put adaptors on the end of the mogami to use 4 of the chnls for HP feeds. So I think you already had your answer before you posted here, you're getting the ProCo. To save $ and have Mogami, make the snake yourself, even if you're not experienced at making cables, it's the easiest piece of soldering type work out there.

you spelled Nietzche wrong in your quote...

Ive never heard two cables from different manufacturers that sound the same...there is a lot of marketing bs out there, but there are definitely cables that are upgrades sonically from other cables...

im sure dfegad BruceGel will chime in..
#15
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Jeff16years's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Weymouth, MA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,313

Jeff16years is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
I know Mogami is better then ProCo but I am just unsure because the ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes. I just don't know if the Mogami is worth all of this extra effort, time, and money. It's going to be ?50ft.

i agree that you have definatly made up your mind, just get the ProCo.

1 thing you should know about sending headphone mixes down the TRS on that snake.
Make sure that your headphone amp is at the end of your snake. you do not want to send speaker level down a snake that is bringing in mic level at the same time. you'll get crosstalk in there for sure.

I wired my entire place with Mogami and I think it all sounds great. I used Belden 4 channel snakes for headphones.
and I also have a Whirwind Medusa 24 channel snake for 1 room.

this is my $0.02
__________________
www.sonicdisorder.com

“One of the 10 best independent albums of 2008”

-The Noise

www.sonicdisorderrecording.com
#16
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
XSergeantD's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,050

XSergeantD is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay
you spelled Nietzche wrong in your quote...
hmm, derrr, guess I did something wrong the last time I edited the signature, thanks

I've found even same cables from same manufacturer may sound slightly different (VERY slightly). Nothing to do with age or anything, I haven't figured out why yet, but once I do I'll post something. Don't think it has to do with length, but I will definately post something once I figure out whats what. But for the most part, cables within 10-25 ft have ben sounding the same
#17
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
  #17
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 119

charlierokit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
My studio is wired with mogami, but I just oredered a canare 24 channel snake, after reading a few posts on the subject. hopefully I made the right decission! Although I'm sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..
which posts did you read please?
and why did you make that decision if your cable is wired with mogami already?

Thank you
#18
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
  #18
Gear interested
 
kmmcmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 2

kmmcmill is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smk View Post
I have never been able to get a grasp on this subject of cables - if one brand sounds better than the other or not. But how can it not, though? Isn't saying that all cables sound alike just like saying all mixers sound alike so just get the cheapest one? If this isn't true then why would anyone ever pay more for a Mogami? We would all use ProCos...Unless you are paying for more durability...

Generally, mixers change the sound with a preamp, eq, comp, etc.... Cables just carry a signal. It's not the same... It's pretty ignorant to even make that comparison. With cables you might be losing signal with thinner gauges and I guess shielding has been used effectively to retain signal as well, but Mogami (although a good cable) will not "sound" different than a ProCo. They just tend to have a good reputation with they're design and materials.

My advice... Don't buy Mogami unless you can afford to. Its like buying a Ferrari when a Honda will still do the job. They are good cables, but not necessary at all to most studios.
#19
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,932

TurboJets is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmcmill View Post
Its like buying a Ferrari when a Honda will still do the job.
Me thinks you should take a Ferrari for a test drive and then try to say the same thing without feeling like a baboon.

When I made the jump to Mogami back in '01 I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. It's been Mogami only for me since then.

But as some of the other's have said, your budget dictates what you buy. If you can somehow afford the Mogami you'll never need to replace it or upgrade it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jim Easton / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
22
mesh boogie / So much gear, so little time!
4
kevk / So much gear, so little time!
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.