ProCo vs Mogami and Canare Snakes
New Reply
Subscribe
KurtR
16th March 2006
Old 16th March 2006
Gear addict

ProCo vs Mogami and Canare Snakes

I will be using it for a semi-high end home studio but the price diffrence between them is about 300 dollars for a 24 channel. The ProCo also comes with 4 TRS sends so it would be easy to use headphones instead of getting another 4 channel snake. Is it really worth the extra money? I know many will say go spend it but I am unsure it will make a real difference worth the money and having to get another snake for headphones. I still might get a mogami/gotham quad cable to go straight to my vocal pre's bypassing the snake. If you have anything to say please speak!
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear maniac

I have always had nothing but good experiences with ProCo, be it studio gear or road gear. I have little experience with Mogami, so I really couldn't give you much info there. But the TRS sends on that ProCo snake are REALLY handy...
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Mogami>Proco
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006

My studio is wired with mogami, but I just oredered a canare 24 channel snake, after reading a few posts on the subject. hopefully I made the right decission! Although I'm sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
My studio is wired with mogami, but I just oredered a canare 24 channel snake, after reading a few posts on the subject. hopefully I made the right decission! Although I'm sure its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..
Mogami sounds better, for SURE. The Pro Co is quality cable that will last though. Just don't ever substitute one with a Mogami cable. You will immediately regret any cash you spend on the Pro Co just because of the sound.
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
TER
Gear maniac

And the longer the snake, the bigger the difference!

-tom
KurtR
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

I know Mogami is better then ProCo but I am just unsure because the ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes. I just don't know if the Mogami is worth all of this extra effort, time, and money. It's going to be ≤50ft.
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes.
Don't understand what you meant there, but it sounds like you already made up your mind because of the $ factor and not the sonic factor. And I'm also guessing you don't want to put adaptors on the end of the mogami to use 4 of the chnls for HP feeds. So I think you already had your answer before you posted here, you're getting the ProCo. To save $ and have Mogami, make the snake yourself, even if you're not experienced at making cables, it's the easiest piece of soldering type work out there.
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear maniac

I would say that even for the soldering experience alone (if you don't know how to do it yet), making a Mogami snake would be worth it.

Between the Mogami and the Canare, without taking sound into account, the Mogami is more flexible (literally), and each channel is numbered. The numbers on the channels is a small but very helpful "feature" (if bulk snake cable could be said to have features...).
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

i didn't compare cables sound but i'm going to rewire my whole studio soon when i'll finaly get my mixing desk ... i have a few Mogami multi cables , i also have Klotz and Belden , i'm looking for the best SOUNDING cables out there , any thoughts ?
17th March 2006
Old 17th March 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe
Mogami sounds better, for SURE. The Pro Co is quality cable that will last though. Just don't ever substitute one with a Mogami cable. You will immediately regret any cash you spend on the Pro Co just because of the sound.

You need to do some double blind listening tests. The Mogami won't sound better than the Pro Co, or a Hosa for that matter (assuming the Hosa is actually working).

Ice in her eyes, frozen tears could never be a surprise
You can't erase a dream you can only wake me up
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
Gear maniac

I can't vouch for the sound either way, but I've soldered a number of my own Mogami snakes, and it's not picnic- the wires are VERY small and delicate, so it's very easy to accidentally cut when trying to strip and/or melt insulation. From the standpoint of making them yourself, Belden is WAY easier to work with. The sires are colored (instead of having tiny numbers like the Mogami), and it's considerably stiffer, so it's a lot easier to solder.

I haven't done any comparisons sound-wise as the Belden snake was a custom job for my live keyboard rig.

mitchell
smk
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
smk
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
You need to do some double blind listening tests. The Mogami won't sound better than the Pro Co, or a Hosa for that matter (assuming the Hosa is actually working).
I have never been able to get a grasp on this subject of cables - if one brand sounds better than the other or not. But how can it not, though? Isn't saying that all cables sound alike just like saying all mixers sound alike so just get the cheapest one? If this isn't true then why would anyone ever pay more for a Mogami? We would all use ProCos...Unless you are paying for more durability...
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD
Don't understand what you meant there, but it sounds like you already made up your mind because of the $ factor and not the sonic factor. And I'm also guessing you don't want to put adaptors on the end of the mogami to use 4 of the chnls for HP feeds. So I think you already had your answer before you posted here, you're getting the ProCo. To save $ and have Mogami, make the snake yourself, even if you're not experienced at making cables, it's the easiest piece of soldering type work out there.

you spelled Nietzche wrong in your quote...

Ive never heard two cables from different manufacturers that sound the same...there is a lot of marketing bs out there, but there are definitely cables that are upgrades sonically from other cables...

im sure dfegad BruceGel will chime in..
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
I know Mogami is better then ProCo but I am just unsure because the ProCo will made made and but together by ProCo and someone else or I will have to build the Mogami. Which dosen't really matter but the Mogami will cost around 300 dollars more and I will still have to create another snake for headphone mixes. I just don't know if the Mogami is worth all of this extra effort, time, and money. It's going to be ?50ft.

i agree that you have definatly made up your mind, just get the ProCo.

1 thing you should know about sending headphone mixes down the TRS on that snake.
Make sure that your headphone amp is at the end of your snake. you do not want to send speaker level down a snake that is bringing in mic level at the same time. you'll get crosstalk in there for sure.

I wired my entire place with Mogami and I think it all sounds great. I used Belden 4 channel snakes for headphones.
and I also have a Whirwind Medusa 24 channel snake for 1 room.

this is my $0.02

“One of the 10 best independent albums of 2008”

-The Noise

www.sonicdisorderrecording.com
18th March 2006
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay
you spelled Nietzche wrong in your quote...
hmm, derrr, guess I did something wrong the last time I edited the signature, thanks

I've found even same cables from same manufacturer may sound slightly different (VERY slightly). Nothing to do with age or anything, I haven't figured out why yet, but once I do I'll post something. Don't think it has to do with length, but I will definately post something once I figure out whats what. But for the most part, cables within 10-25 ft have ben sounding the same
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
which posts did you read please?
and why did you make that decision if your cable is wired with mogami already?

Thank you
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk View Post
I have never been able to get a grasp on this subject of cables - if one brand sounds better than the other or not. But how can it not, though? Isn't saying that all cables sound alike just like saying all mixers sound alike so just get the cheapest one? If this isn't true then why would anyone ever pay more for a Mogami? We would all use ProCos...Unless you are paying for more durability...

Generally, mixers change the sound with a preamp, eq, comp, etc.... Cables just carry a signal. It's not the same... It's pretty ignorant to even make that comparison. With cables you might be losing signal with thinner gauges and I guess shielding has been used effectively to retain signal as well, but Mogami (although a good cable) will not "sound" different than a ProCo. They just tend to have a good reputation with they're design and materials.

My advice... Don't buy Mogami unless you can afford to. Its like buying a Ferrari when a Honda will still do the job. They are good cables, but not necessary at all to most studios.
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmcmill View Post
Its like buying a Ferrari when a Honda will still do the job.
Me thinks you should take a Ferrari for a test drive and then try to say the same thing without feeling like a baboon.

When I made the jump to Mogami back in '01 I couldn't hardly believe what I was hearing. It's been Mogami only for me since then.

But as some of the other's have said, your budget dictates what you buy. If you can somehow afford the Mogami you'll never need to replace it or upgrade it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search