A/D on the MOTU 24 I/O vs. 002R, 001, Tango
New Reply
Subscribe
Benmrx
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

A/D on the MOTU 24 I/O vs. 002R, 001, Tango

Maybe someone could help me out here. I track to 2" 24 track, than usually transfer to PTLE for mixing.

I do the transfers by having 2 computers sync'd up. One system is an 002R + Frontier designs Tango24, and the second is just an 001. So this gives me 24 inputs, after the transfers I just copy the files from the 001 system to the main 002R + Tango24 system.

It works o.k., but I want to retain a bit more of the sound coming off tape. I don't have big budgets. So my only real option (and this would take a couple months of saving) is a MOTU 24 I/O. I would just use whatever software I could to interface with it, then afterwards, just transfer the files into a pro tools session.

So my question is, is the 24 I/O a decent upgrade from the system I have now. It sure would make it easier for tape transfers to just do it on 1 computer. Plus with the 24 I/O, I could transfer all 24 tracks at 24/96, than someday get a nice 2 channel A/D/A for overdubs and monitoring.

Or would I be better off just going with an Apogee Rosetta 200 on the 002R spdif for overdubs and monitoring, and keep the system for transfers the same?

Thanks in advance....I hate thinking about spending $$$ on converters
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

I did exactly that with just a 24io for quite a while, works very well and sounds very good.

But there is one important thing to remember re the MOTU 424 card based systems over other setups.

the system resolves to SMPTE on any input you choose, this means with smpte on the 2", you can lock it up, dump tracks over in sync. use 24 tracks and dump them, and record another 24 to analog all in sync.

also with the cuemix system, you can monitor all 24 ins and out on the hardware with no latency, this means you can have the tape outs patched to the 24io at all times, when you are ready to dump, just hit record, and without patching you are ready to go on recording 2".

"what is it you cant face"
"I'm a country member"
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

I did exactly that with just a 24io for quite a while, works very well and sounds very good.

But there is one important thing to remember re the MOTU 424 card based systems over other setups.

the system resolves to SMPTE on any input you choose, this means with smpte on the 2", you can lock it up, dump tracks over in sync. use 24 tracks and dump them, and record another 24 to analog all in sync.

also with the cuemix system, you can monitor all 24 ins and out on the hardware with no latency, this means you can have the tape outs patched to the 24io at all times, when you are ready to dump, just hit record, and without patching you are ready to go on recording 2".
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

also check out the blacklionaudio.com mod for the Motu.
pretty cheap and from the audio files on that site, well worth it.
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know this is a naive question. But in this scenario, the 2" is the master, making the 424 card the slave. Wouldn't this mean that your word clock is derived from the smpte? If so, does this affect your A/D conversions quality, or does it not really matter as long as when you go to mix you use a good master clock? I guess the question is, does the effect of a drifting (smpte) clock put permanent sonic values on your tracks in the A/D process that would still be there even if when you mixed you were using a Benchmark or something for the master clock?

Quote:
also check out the blacklionaudio.com mod for the Motu.
pretty cheap and from the audio files on that site, well worth it.
Just got done checking out there site. REALLY cool stuff there. I would definatly be interested if I end up going the 24 I/O route. Thanks for the link
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

This is just my opinion, but I think you would be way better off with the 001. I'm not saying it's great, but I've done analog transfers using the MOTU and I don't find it to be good sounding at all.
15th March 2006
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

But then again, the 001 doesn't give you the inputs you need all at once.
Benmrx
16th March 2006
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is just my opinion, but I think you would be way better off with the 001. I'm not saying it's great, but I've done analog transfers using the MOTU and I don't find it to be good sounding at all.
That's 1 for the 001. Maybe I should just focus on a more high end 8 channel unit, and just slap that on the 002R's lightpipe, and put the Tango24 on the 001's lightpipe.

I'de still really love to hear from someone that has compared the 002, 001, and/or the Tango24 to the MOTU stuff. I don't want to spring for it if it's just gonna be a so-so upgrade. The sync capabilities of the MOTU are nice, but that would just be "a cherry on top". I'm much more interested in making a good upgrade in the A/D department for tape transfers.

Too bad I can't afford the Lynx Aurora 16, and just send the first 8 channels to the 002 and the second 8 to the 001. Then get that 16 track headstack for the 2" and have a pretty sweet chain

If this thread would be better suited in the low-end forum, please feel free to move it there.
16th March 2006
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

I also have a 002, and much prefer the sound of the 24 IO. and for tranasfering 24 tracks, having 24 i o's seems the obvious solution rather then messing about with a bunch of various boxes and still only getting 16 io.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search