Help fill out my mic locker please
Old 15th March 2006
Gear nut

Help fill out my mic locker please

Hi all.
I am looking for some input on improving my mic locker.
Budget is $5,000. I would like to add at least 3 or 4 mics.

Here’s what I have:
Korby Kat 4 system
Neumann 89
Neumann 147
Soundelux 195
K2
AT 4047, 4050
AKG 414
Senn 602
AEA 84
Modified Oktava 52 ribbon
Josephson 42 pair
SM7
Senn 604s - 4
Lots of 57s, 58s,

As the only full service studio down here, we record everything from voice overs to steel pans to gospel to hip hop to rock to classical.

Thanks

Dan
www.islandsoundworks.com
Old 15th March 2006
Gear nut

WOW - 25 looks and no suggestions! I expected a lot more input??? Nothing from the pimps either - must be a full moon!
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Earthworks. I've used the sr30's and once a pair of omni's that belong to a friend, and these are not mics that i would choose to work without... So i didn't see how many views you have now, but that's one suggestion.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear addict

Neumann KM 84/184's would be an asset.
Maybe a pair of LDC tube mics??
Senn MD421's??
U47 fet??
D12 D25 D112 RE20???
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Ok! Here's my 2 ören. Brauner. Depending on economy either Valvet or VM-1 or *cough* VM-1 KHE. Some people like the Phantom.

There you go.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear maniac

my first thought was:

47fet
pair of km84s
BLUE Mouse
Old 15th March 2006
Gear maniac

Royer R-122... a very, very different animal to your Oktava ML52 and AEA.
Old 15th March 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

ev re20
royer 122 (2)
km 184 (2)
sm 81 (2)
akg 451 (2)
sub kick
d 112

SLUT !!!
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'm missing Schoeps in your locker (for the classical stuff): You might want a Schoeps MK2 if you're doing classical music on location, and a pair of MK4 anyway - good for anything.
Neumann KM84, like others said - or if you can get them, a pair of vintage KM54? (for which I don't know the price though. Seems a matter of chance).
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguin
WOW - 25 looks and no suggestions! I expected a lot more input??? Nothing from the pimps either - must be a full moon!
That's cause you are done! You can cover most anything with that collection.

But if you are the only full studio...

U87
U67
U47
SF24 (or SF12)
Schoeps collection

Envious Regards,
David
Old 15th March 2006
Gear maniac

it might be good to get a 2nd of a mic you find very useful, either the u89 or u195 then you record more stuff and in stereo too! a royer sf12 or pair or coles 4038 would be great. a fet47 is great. km84s would be great.... or just get 1 really primo mic like a u67 or Sm69....
Old 15th March 2006
Gear maniac

Quick question (hijack alert!)

I see a lot of people recommending KM84's/184's while he already has the Josephson 42's. Do you guys see THAT much difference between those, where it would be so pressing to add one if you already have the other?

Just curious...I'm buying one or the other myself sooon.
Thanks
Old 16th March 2006
Gear nut

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - the Royer idea is interesting - I was also wondering about another pair of SDC's, but I don't think the Neumann’s are too appealing as SDC's. Other ideas on SDC's??

Also, I think I am set for LDC's and tubes - in fact I was even thinking of getting rid of the Neumann147?? We'll see?

Dan
www.islandsoundworks.com
Old 16th March 2006
Gear Guru

That's a nice looking mic locker. What I see as the hole is the lack of pairs for stereo. A pair of 121s would be a very versatile addition. Another possibility would be to add another one of the mics you already have.
Old 16th March 2006
Dot
Lives for gear

mcguin, if that was my mic collection and I was recording all those types of music, I'd sorta play it like this:

Whatever that 414 is, get another one so you'll have a pair. A pair of 414's can be some of the most useful tools in the studio. Drum OH's, piano, stereo choir, acoustic instruments....

The 147... I'd lose it. Neumann makes some great mics. The 147 is not one of them.

You only have one pair of SDC's, the C42's, and they're very colored. I'd complement those with a more clean and neutral pair of SDC's by DPA, Schoeps or Earthworks.

For VO, another very cool large dynamic is the Heil PR-40. Much sexier and more going on in the upper-mids than the usual crop of LD's.

And an AKG D112. They're cheap, and every studio's gotta have one.

Mics I would not recommend:

KM184's - because you're already so close to them with the C42's.
451's - just too frickin bright to get a lot of use out of in the digital medium.

Hope that helps...
Old 16th March 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Vintage 451's are not as bright as the re-issues.

Right guys ??
Old 16th March 2006
Gear Guru

For SDCs the A-T 4041 is a nice mic at a reasonable price. At a less reasonable price, the DPA stuff is absolutely fantastic.
Old 16th March 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot

Mics I would not recommend:

KM184's - because you're already so close to them with the C42's.

Hope that helps...
Well, it helps ME a lot! Thanks!
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thought about more 414's, some 421's and an EV RE20?

What are you using on toms?
Old 16th March 2006
Gear maniac

I'm just a blossoming gearslut, but with the kind of collection you already have I'm surprised you don't have 2 or 3 Senn 421's-Toms, Kick, Guitar/Bass cabs and more-indispensable tools IM humble little O.
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

That's a very respectable mic cabinet. There are some popular omissions, but I dare say that you could cover everything with those mics. The only thing I saw was that you really don't have one of the standard kick mics, and those are pretty cheap by comparison. Something in the D112, M88, RE20 camp would fit the bill.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't worry to much unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 17th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@MVS
That's cause you are done! You can cover most anything with that collection.

But if you are the only full studio...

U87
U67
U47
SF24 (or SF12)
Schoeps collection

Envious Regards,
David
LOL!

David has a point! Still, there are a couple gaps and some good suggestions I've seen here already.

I agree with the recommendation for a pair of Schoeps, but you could save a few $$ and go with a pair of Gefell M300's instead to fill the great SDC pair gap. I LOVE my M300!

You could use a BIG LDC,............. somebodies Brauner VM1 suggestion could be good though that is starting to exceed your stated budget. How about a Soundelux e49 or e250 to keep it at or closer to the $5K. All those I have experience with and think they would add to your collection.

I don't like to quote "other people's opinions" as a rule but if I was gonna spend $5K it would be either the Horch of the Gefell UM75. You mentuioned that you would like to add three or four so I figured that might not be for you.

Stephen
Old 17th March 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
Thought about more 414's, some 421's and an EV RE20?

What are you using on toms?
hi - rack Toms - 604's
floor tom - 602
kick - either the 89 or the 195 or both

thanks

Dan
www.islandsoundworks.com
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search