question about ME-1NV pre settings?
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

question about ME-1NV pre settings?

Im a little confused by how i am requiered to set the Gain and Output Levels on my ME-1NV preamp. My interface is a Fireface 800 and i am sending the XLR output of the Great River to the input channel 2 on my fireface 800 box (which is set to +4dbu) using a balanced XLR to 1/4" TRS connection. Now whether using a condesor, dynamic or ribbon mic I normally first set the gain of the mic pre to right below a peak level on the IN meter.

so heres the issue:
I am finding that no matter what source i am micing my output level of the ME-1NV never even approaches the CAL position. Always I keep it far left, almost to extreme left position. Is this normal? What am I missing here? Does the output level effect the tone of the sound at all?

note: I have used other outboard preamps in the past (studio projects, joe meek, presonus) but never had this problem.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark
Im a little confused by how i am requiered to set the Gain and Output Levels on my ME-1NV preamp. My interface is a Fireface 800 and i am sending the XLR output of the Great River to the input channel 2 on my fireface 800 box (which is set to +4dbu) using a balanced XLR to 1/4" TRS connection. Now whether using a condesor, dynamic or ribbon mic I normally first set the gain of the mic pre to right below a peak level on the IN meter.

so heres the issue:
I am finding that no matter what source i am micing my output level of the ME-1NV never even approaches the CAL position. Always I keep it far left, almost to extreme left position. Is this normal? What am I missing here? Does the output level effect the tone of the sound at all?

note: I have used other outboard preamps in the past (studio projects, joe meek, presonus) but never had this problem.
If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think I have the same question...

I too set the gain of my ME-1NV pretty high for extra coloration, but in order to not overload the line input of my interface, I have to back off the CAL pot considerably which yields a low signal on the output meter.

I'm using an M-Audio Project Mix interface at the moment, but my Mbox didn't have this problem at all. Pretty much ran the output signal at full in that instance.

Is this a case of how the line level is set on the interface (+4 or -6?)...and can you even select the level of the line input on the interface? Or would this be set in your DAW software?

-Chris
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

yes that is the same problem/issue i am describing. My interface (fireface 800) lets you select between a couple different settings -10,+4 and low gain but i think +4 is the standard. I dont think this is an option to many other interfaces but unique to the fireface.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I too set the gain of my ME-1NV pretty high for extra coloration, but in order to not overload the line input of my interface, I have to back off the CAL pot considerably which yields a low signal on the output meter.
Um...so are you not getting enough level? Or does the meter just not run to 0?

That's why the second stage is there-to get proper output level independent of how you have the first stage set. Does it affect the tone? I'm not thinking so...except that the reason you would adjust the level on the second stage is BECAUSE you're driving or backing off the first, which WILL affect the tone.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Actually, most of the tone is generated by the input stage. It's cleaner if the meter is bouncing around 2 or 3 green leds being lit, and the output level doing about the same.

It's more colored with yellow and red on the input, output set where it has to be to deal with your A-D.

It's more colored yet if you can let the output stage really work, which it doesn't until it's pushing more than most A-D's can take, they're in clipping stress while the NV is barely breathing hard. To take advantage of this you need a pad between the preamp and the converter. Call me at work.

Dan Kennedy
Great River
651-455-1846
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response Dan. I guess a pad might solve my problem, I was just concerned that I was doing something wrong since ive never had to ride an output level so low on any exterenal preamp Ive had before. So Great River just has a higher output level than most preamps? My Joe Meek VCQ-1, Studio Projects VTB-1, and Presonus Preamps all run around middle output settings but the Great River is much farther turned to the left on most applications.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Head

Hi Dan

Had a similar question WRT my ME1-NV - my DAV BG1 also gives me loads of gain at the output stage - will different sets of 24bit converters running at 44.1 Khz display a different ability to deal with the gain? I'm currently running into the inserts of an MBox as a stop-gap measure (to bypass the preamps) but the cable has to be unbalanced. The MBox converters overload very easily...

Would a Rosetta handle the gain better? Isn't it operating with the same scale of bits (excluding soft-limiting, which is kind of defeating the object on average levels)? In what way are more 'professional' converters able to handle more gain - don't really understand this.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Dan

I have an similar issue when inserting (patching) my compressor (Black Lion 3630) as the signal is so hot going into it.
Do I need a pad for that also?
Chris
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search