Login / Register

Adam A8x vs Mackie HR824mkII vs KRK VXT8 vs Focal Solo 6be?
View Poll Results: Which monitor under £1000?
Adam A8x
6 Votes - 10.34%
Mackie HR824mkII
10 Votes - 17.24%
KRK VXT8
9 Votes - 15.52%
Focal Solo 6be
28 Votes - 48.28%
other - please specify!
5 Votes - 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
dickiefunk
21st June 2011
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Adam A8x vs Mackie HR824mkII vs KRK VXT8 vs Focal Solo 6be?

Hi,

I'm looking for some new monitors for a different studio setup .
The monitors I have in my other studio setup are a pair of Acoustic Energy AE22's + Sub. These are great but in the new setup a sub won't really work in the room and there are times when I need to monitor really deep bass frequencies which the AE22's can struggle with. Also my budget can't stretch to the AE22's + sub which cost's around £1600.
I would like a pair of monitors that can cope with deep low bass without port chuffing under £1000!
These are the monitors on my shortlist :-

Adam A8X
Focal Solo6be
KRK VXT8
Mackie HR824 mkII

I realise the Focal's aren't under £1000 but they do come up in b-stock fairly regularly!
I will need them for a large variety of music and some of that will have deep bass. One feature I definately don't want is port chuffing!!

I've had quite a bit of experince with the Focal CMS65's and Mackie HR824mkI's and heard the KRK VXT8's.

I really loved the Focal CMS65's apart from the QC issues. I had 3 faulty pairs with 2 having lots of port chuffing and another with odd rattles inside! This put me off Focal but I haven't heard any issues with the Focal Solo 6be's?

The mkI version of the Mackies sounded great but I found the mixes didn't translate as well as the Focal CMS65's or Acoustic Energy AE22's.
How does the mkII version compare? Is it more accurate for mixing?

I've only heard the KRK VXT8's in a shop with a semi treated room and these sounded great! I preferred these to Dynaudio BM6a's and Adam A7's.
I have no idea how accurate they translate mixes!??

I've read pages of issues with the Adam A8X's concerning port chuffing etc. Apparently Adam are going to ( or have already ) sort this problem with flanges!? Can anyone confirm that this issue has been resolved?

Which of these monitors would you recommend for accurate mixing that can cope with really deep bass without port chuffing? Is there anything else under £1000 that you would recommend?
21st June 2011
Old 21st June 2011
Gear nut

I'd add Dynaudios to the list, BM6A II's or even BM12A's.
21st June 2011
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

I put other as if to vote for Focal CMS65's but obviously you had issues with these so put my vote down for the Solo6be's with second choice being the KRK's.

Seems to me the Focal's are the most natural and best translating, but it's a personal taste. Also out of the list from what I read overall the Focal's, KRK's and Mackies are likely to give you the best bass response with the Focal's being the most natural.

I did allot of reading and researching, at first I had Adams, Focal's, KRK's, Mackies and the dynaudio's on the list but narrowed it down to the Focal and Mackies. Orders the Focal CMS50's which I'll have in a couple of days. Obviously my budget was smaller then yours so I had to narrow things down. (Max £800)

Please check out my thread also, may find some interesting info there on the Mackies especially.

HR625/HR824- Anyone own them? / tested them

Adam's also very worth considering , all personal taste and I'm no expert.
dickiefunk
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies so far! I was kinda expecting the Adam's and Focals to get the votes because they seem very popular on here.

My concern with these is the QC issues Adam and Focal seem to have!??

I already had a real headache with the Focal CMS65's and don't want a repeat of this!!

Also, I'm concerned about possible port chuffing on both the Focal Solo 6be's and Adam A8x's!
The Solo's only use a 6inch speaker with frequency response down to 40hz. However apparently the port on these is a different design to the CMS65's and the drivers, amps and cabinet are different.

The new Adam AX have had a bad reputation for having poor quality control. Apparently this has now been resolved and they now come with flanges in the ports. I'm wondering if this affects the performance and accuracy of these??

I've not come across anyone having issues with either the KRK's or Mackies and they have both had good reviews. Also I heard that Focal make the drivers for the KRK's?

Has anyone here had any experience with more than just one set of these speakers? Has anyone actually done any comparisons with any of these or had reasonable experience with a few of these??
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

You can check this review to get a general idea about the KRK's, not your model but it gives a good idea. Prosound Network: Small Monitors and Subwoofer Systems

I don't think you could go wrong with the KRK's as long as you got on with them and the Mackies are good if you like a massive bass response but suffer from rooms which are not treated well.

Best would be to of course test them out your self though, for me that was not possible though.

For me personally after doing loads of research this would be the order with a tough call between the KRK's and Adam's.

Focal Solo 6be
Adam A8x
KRK VXT8
Mackie HR824mkII
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear addict

+1 to Focal Solo 6 - different League form the others you mentioned

i had and worked with many companies\models (KrK,Adam,Dynaudio,Focal...),and i was never happy form the way my tracks translate, until couple years ago that i upgrade to Focal Twin6...

but the best is to DEMO them in your own studio and see with one you like the most.
dickiefunk
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

I realise that the best solution would be to try them all out here but the only way I can do that over there is to buy them all outright and return the ones I don't want to keep! I simply can't afford £4000!!!! I could afford one pair at a time but this wouldn't really work as I can't a/b them.

There seems to be a lot of love for the Focal Solo 6be's. Can anyone comment on bass response and any issues with them Do these suffer from port chuffing!?

My next favorite option would either be the KRK's or Mackies. I read a review on the Adam A8x's and the reviewer commented that these would be better for mid-field monitoring?

Would the Mackies be a poor choice due to the rear passive radiator because they would be placed in corners?

I've yet to hear a bad word about the KRK's and the fact that these are front ported appeals due to my room.
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Mackie or KrK for a nice low end. Like others have said, with the Mackie you really need a reasonably well treated room as they sound flabby (IMHO) otherwise. KrK are down -3b at 50hz I believe so not as low, on paper, as the Mackie is -3b at 35hz.

I'd really try and listen to whatever you are interested in even if it's not in your room.

Best of luck to ya!
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear maniac

Mackies are a nice, big sounding speaker that sound good but more like loudspeakers to me. And I dont really think theres anything wrong with that bc thats what some people listen to things on so that might give you a good idea of what they would sound like in the real world on an average system though Yamahas HS80s are probably better for this task. I dont think I'd buy either.

Adams are very detailed in the mids and highs but too bright. And A8s are 2000 per pair so not a fair comparison to Mackies or KRKs IMO. But these are some of Adams best yet.

I haven't heard the Focals-though I would like to-but those things are twice the price of VXT8s so its not really a fair comparison at all. Even the 65s are 400 more per pair.

I realize that cost may not be an issue if your grouping these monitors together and I beleive that they are all really, really good monitors but personally I would go with VXT8s for their performance and price. They do have RFI issues and are owned/designed/engineered and manufactured by a Chineese company FYI if you weren't aware or don't care. Going with these means having the ability to purchase a second reference set like HS80s or even cheaper smaller monitors like M-Audio BX5as-which I happen to really like for referencing and listening in smaller rooms.

Dynaudio BM6s are great monitors in this range too. Very neutral overall and good, extended bass response. Known for making quality, reliable products for a long time too though every brand has a lemon or two.

Focals are probably better and have an outstanding reputation for SQ but not a fair comparison due to price and if QC is an issue-thats a BIG issue.
dickiefunk
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

My experience of the Mackie HR824mkI's are they sound a little scooped and hifi. I didn't find mixes translated aswell!

I wasn't aware about RFI issues with the KRK's? Hmm this doesn't sound good!?

The Focals sound promising but I'm unsure about their low frequency performance or whether they suffer from the same port chuffing issues of the CMS65's?
dickiefunk
23rd June 2011
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

I wasn't aware about RFI issues with the KRK's? Hmm this doesn't sound good!?

The Focals sound promising but I'm unsure about their low frequency performance or whether they suffer from the same port chuffing issues of the CMS65's?
Anyone?
dickiefunk
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

I may have an opportunity to pick up a pair of secondhand Unity Audio The Rock monitors. What are your thoughts on these compared to the others I listed?
fdc
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
fdc
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to fdc
Quote:
Anyone?
have the focals solo and bass response is great. also thats the reason i bought them cause vxt8 are too big for my taste, and dont want to get me a sub for speakers with less bass. bass is tighter than the vxt8 (my roommate has them). the translation of mixes is awesome.
problem is new focals need at least 4 weeks to sound good when they are new. almost gave em back. now i´m a fanboy
my alternative would have been the dynaudio. i heard the bm5 and they are good but not enough bass for me. so bm6 would been my choice to test if focal didnt come along.
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I realise that the best solution would be to try them all out here but the only way I can do that over there is to buy them all outright and return the ones I don't want to keep! I simply can't afford £4000!!!! I could afford one pair at a time but this wouldn't really work as I can't a/b them.
You really don't need to directly "A/B" compare whichever pair to all of the other possibilities. What you need is to get good mix translation and comfortable monitoring with whatever pair you happen to be auditioning. If you buy a single pair, audition it and find that you're getting excellent results with minimal effort as compared to whatever you're using right now, then you've found something that works for you. If you find at that point that you're still unconvinced then you can always send the audition pair back and try another model. Direct A/B comparison isn't necessary except between what you have now and whatever you might be interested in.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of love for the Focal Solo 6be's. Can anyone comment on bass response and any issues with them Do these suffer from port chuffing!?
I don't know about "chuffing" with the Solo 6be or even how much port noise you'd consider an issue. But in general with typically designed ported speakers the main problem is time coherence. Chuffing usually is more of a problem with inferior port designs in my experience.

Quote:
...I read a review on the Adam A8x's and the reviewer commented that these would be better for mid-field monitoring?
I suppose it all depends on what you would consider "mid-field". They don't have an excess of amplifier power as compared to typical mid-field/mains designs (though they do have more than enough for nearfield work), nor is their driver arrangement apparently set up to have the sound coalesce ideally at a mid-field distance. But who knows? They might work out just fine for someone as a mid-field.

Quote:
Would the Mackies be a poor choice due to the rear passive radiator because they would be placed in corners?
Maybe, but it depends. I'd be more concerned with the time coherence being made worse by having the radiator bouncing sound off the wall and back to your ears. But everything depends. I don't even know if that particular "passive radiator" design they have is successful enough in preserving time coherence that it's worth having in the first place. You're going to have to give them an audition. In any case placing them in the corners is going to affect the buildup of bass frequencies. Properly done it's possible to make that work. But in my experience it's more trouble than it's worth. Again, it all depends.

Quote:
I've yet to hear a bad word about the KRK's and the fact that these are front ported appeals due to my room.
They don't suck. You can get great work out of them. But they're not perfect as I'm sure nobody would expect them to be. Ultimately you've got to get along with them. The flavor of the moment is Focal, just like ADAM was a few years ago. So you might find yourself influenced by that. But the best I think anyone can honestly say is get a pair. If you already find that you like the Focal family sound then you might be wisest to keep in that family of sound, as they too don't suck, and you can get good work out of them. But they aren't perfect either, despite their current popularity, though they might just be perfect for you.

https://soundcloud.com/audio-wisdom/sets/demo-reel
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Solo6s get my vote - have em love em, but have to agree need plenty of burn-in & also took a bit of getting used to, but was well worth while - translate great. I dont feel I need a sub in my current room.

Bottom end decent, slightly tubby for me but in a very helpful low-mid detail way.

My previous monitors have been Dyn M1s, ATCs, PMCs, NS10s, Genelec 1037s and Mackie 824s (MkI) - I've never owned any Adams/KRKs & have only used them occasionally tho so cant compare.

Having said all that you may have issues going from closed boxes to ported ones - there are specials on AE monitors about, could you stretch to get some PMCs ? They're a good alternative to the AEs.
dickiefunk
29th June 2011
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Any thoughts of the Focal Solo 6be vs Unity Audio's The Rock monitors?
1st August 2011
Old 1st August 2011
Gear nut

for what u want i think the hr824mk2 its better.. it can go really deep and loud without any port interference or distortion, it will never crack.. by the way u will need a big room to take advantage of the deep bass @hr824, but u can change the crossover to 47hz... focal 40hz is not on the really deep area.. but its deep, depending on the situation it will buildup bass too.
also, vxt has rfi interference, stay away..
dickiefunk
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Heard the Mackie HR824mkII's at a store yesterday and thought they sounded pretty nice. They reminded me of the 824mkI's quite a bit!
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Gear nut

did u listen to the hr624mk2 too ? if u are going to use the 47hz switch maybe is good to listen to the 624 because with the smaller woofer the mediums are better articulated and also i think the crossover at 47hz "bottom" of the 624 is a second order (-12db/oct) with the passive radiation vs the 824 -24db/oct @47hz and sealed enclosure.. not sure about this anyway. love my 824mk2 a very accurate and fun monitor at the same time, with better highs then the older model and it's very smooth, non-fatigating sound.
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

I've got A7X's, owned Focal CMS and heard the Twins a few weeks back.

Personally I much prefer the Adam sound so would get the A8X's, more clean, open natural and great to mix on.

But it's very personal, you need to listen first.
dickiefunk
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

I hadn't considered the Mackie HR624mkII's but these look very interesting!

At the moment my list is :-

Unity Audio The Rock
Focal Solo 6BE
Mackie HR624mkII
Adam A7/8X
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

The HR624 will lack low end compared to the rest, it would have to be HR824.

Out of them Id seriously consider The Rock or the A8X, though the Solo BE are suppose to be nice!

If I had more money I would of got either one of those rather then the A7X's. Infact I should of went B stock really, love the A7x's but as allways more money gets you more and if I went B stock I could of got the A8X or The Rock's. Check out the B stock at dv247.com ,very good prices.

All good choices though!
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Gear maniac

Definately A8X, than HR824mkII. Never understood all that hype about Focal monitors, they are good, but not that good to my ears. But, to each his own.
dickiefunk
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

I heard that The Rocks don't have as good stereo imaging as the AE22's?
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Gear nut

47hz @ -12db/oct is not lacking that much of bass.. 35hz is only half octave below.. anyway, Solo 6 would be my choice for what had read around.. but never listen to it actualy.. get them all to an audition, good luck!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search