Phase relation and Omni mics
New Reply
Subscribe
PJD3
18th June 2011
Old 18th June 2011
Gear nut

Phase relation and Omni mics

Hi There. I am having a little dilemma here that I hope some of you can assist me with. I'm a couple of weeks into a project that has alot of stereo recorded material using my 2 little blondies, SCA C84's and sometimes reverb quite strong and tracked with my Rumour. I discovered just today that one of the phase switches is flipped on a preamp channel. How the frick did I miss that. Damn. Well, I wondered why I hadn't noticed this just by listening while tracking which has been all on headphones. Now, I expected that it should have been blatenly obvious what would be in phase just by flipping the phase on a mixer channel while playing back. But bust my damn buttons, I cant tell for sure. I would have expected a huge dropout in center material to the mics (they have been 8 inches apart for nearly all the tracking). The result of flipping the phase switch only seems to spread the entire field further left and right. I suspect thats the "out of phase" rendering of the mics because of seemingly less center info and more outside separation. But, I dont hear the voice (which was always recorded right between the mics) get canceled out in terms of actual level, which I would have expected. It is just as apparent,but just spread out L and R as if some stereo processor was added. Swithing the other phase seems to put the voice more solidly in the middle more like there was a mono mic on the voice. That, make me tend to think that thats the inphase orientation. Could this be because the omni's in my hard walled little kitchen has so much loud reflected sound that the direct sound is being masked and doesn;t appear to get cancelled? Gees. I thought I would have a way to figure this out. I tried putting both Blondies directly together , got up real close, and hummed while flipping the phase on one preamp. Same thing. Things moved around, but no big noticable cancellation that indicates the true status of the phase. I'm so mad at myself for not being able to figure this out. Any ideas out there?

Thank you so muck for your time!

Phil (the baffled and confused)
18th June 2011
Old 18th June 2011
Taking Down your Network

Would it help to look at the visual waveforms in a DAW, and see how they match / line up along your timeline? Then you could at least see which mic is at the 'leading edge' of the wave. Might point you to the inverted channel.

I'm always interested in these phase issues-- such an ass pain, but very educational.
18th June 2011
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Head

the cancellation would occur if you listened in mono.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search