gorgeous guitar recording....
New Reply
Subscribe
imaginaryday
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

gorgeous guitar recording....

pat metheny has a solo guitar recording coming out next week. i just fell in love with the recording of "that's the way i always heard it should be (carly Simon).

it looks like he used 3 mics one of which is an re20, i have no idea what the other 2 are. anyway, the recording is all covers from the beatles to paul simon and others.

10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Gear Head

yeah, nice recording. he's a heavy breather though :D
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
pat metheny has a solo guitar recording coming out next week. i just fell in love with the recording of "that's the way i always heard it should be (carly Simon).

it looks like he used 3 mics one of which is an re20, i have no idea what the other 2 are. anyway, the recording is all covers from the beatles to paul simon and others.

Besides the mics:

He has some good high end pre's, these pre's are high gain with lots of clarity...If I had to guess I would say chandler or avalon's.

The reverb is subtle, smooth and perfect for the application. If it isn't an EMT then it must be a britcasti or lexicon that someone dialed in perfectly. The space could be an additional asset in the reverb department but not without well placed area mics...not shown here.

I concur that this is an excellent nylon string GTR recording...very well done. I just think that the gear inline AFTER the mics may lend themselves more to the recording than the mics...
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
Besides the mics:

He has some good high end pre's, these pre's are high gain with lots of clarity...If I had to guess I would say chandler or avalon's.

The reverb is subtle, smooth and perfect for the application. If it isn't an EMT then it must be a britcasti or lexicon that someone dialed in perfectly. The space could be an additional asset in the reverb department but not without well placed area mics...not shown here.

I concur that this is an excellent nylon string GTR recording...very well done. I just think that the gear inline AFTER the mics may lend themselves more to the recording than the mics...
That is not a nylon string guitar, most certainly a steel string. Also I am willing to wager that its a baritone guitar judging by the scale and tuning depth.
imaginaryday
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Besides the mics:

it's not a nylon guitar. it's linda manzer's baritone steel guitar.

i believe metheny uses an avalon at his home studio (where he recorded this cd titled "what it's all about".
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
If I had to guess I would say chandler or avalon's.
neither of which sound anything remotely alike
and then there are 4 different chandler pres which also sound nothing alike
10th June 2011
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Amazing Piece, and brilliant delivery.

I'd like to think that 80% of the sounds due to Pat's amazing control and expression playing his acoustic guitar. The notes are struck with such finese and feel that it makes for a great recording. Coupled with the fact it's a killer acoustic number to begin with.

What's really interesting is that its looks like it was tracked "outside" and at night, in theory, this gives an almost near anachoic chamber response in regards to reflections (however, I may be wrong about the location though).

Love this piece, thanks for sharing.

There's a spaced xy config at the 12 fret and at the tip of the body of the guitar to capture the low end.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear interested

Looking forward to this release. I'm sure his take on Paul Simon's ''The Sound of Silence'' and The Beatles ''And I Love Her'' will be amazing.
imaginaryday
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaytrucker View Post
Looking forward to this release. I'm sure his take on Paul Simon's ''The Sound of Silence'' and The Beatles ''And I Love Her'' will be amazing.
here is a preview of some of the other songs:
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Makes me want a baritone guitar. Can't play like that, but it makes me want to...

Better a crust in peace than a banquet in a house of contention

"Be careful chasing Unicorns..." -tINY
imaginaryday
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Makes me want a baritone guitar. Can't play like that, but it makes me want to...
go for it! life is too short my friend.
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

I enjoyed that...yea well nice..Thanx for sharin that.
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Telling it like it is

Quote:
go for it! life is too short my friend.
+100000

Regards,
Frank
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Is that a dirt floor where he is recording?
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear addict

IMHO one of the most gifted 'communicators' on the planet - Pat is a beautiful monster of a musician. Thanks for throwing the video up
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehauser View Post
Is that a dirt floor where he is recording?
Wow! That is fantastic playing. I agree that this sound is more performance than the equipment or space. Pat has incredible feel, touch and dynamic control. Really amazing player.

That said, the equipment and space do effect the sound. It most likely is an outdoor space. It is hard to tell if the floor is dirt or sand. If you look at the background, there appears to be some type of cement wall or pillar. It might be an "enclosed space" outside, like a rotunda. Perhaps a cement roof? I look forward to the release, interviews and learning about how it was recorded.
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Guru

Sounds great and Hi Howdy from Loudoun County :-)
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to santibanks
Quote:
it's not a nylon guitar. it's linda manzer's baritone steel guitar.

i believe metheny uses an avalon at his home studio (where he recorded this cd titled "what it's all about".
Yes Metheny uses an Avalon preamp at home as a front end. He records usually in Digital Performer with a Motu 828. Not sure if he still uses the 828, it was a very big deal for him at the time.
Most of the shows are recorded with the 896HD. I believe the Tokyo daytrip EP was entirely 896HD.

However, his setup with the PMG is different. Everything is recorded with Neve 1081 preamps.
Some of his acoustics have AMT mics and use the AMT preamp (he endorses these mics).
Applied Microphone Technology - microphones for trumpet, trombone, saxophone, clarinet, guitar, violin, harmonica, percussion, cello and more.

He used to use the PCM60 for his acoustics.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to guitarmax_99
Thanks for posting this.

I already have "One Quiet Night" and this is basically the same guitar sound. This is a somewhat processed sound to my ears. I know he's miked up, but he's also using his onboard pickup to get this sound. I don't know what he's using, but it sounds like some under-the-saddle-piezo pickup to me, and it is significantly coloring the tone. It isn't what I personally go for when recording acoustic, but I've heard other great players use onboard pickups on their studio recordings (Pierre Bensusan's later stuff comes to mind, and Michael Hedges was known to use a pickup in conjunction with mics in some of his recordings as well).

Anyway, Pat is one of my favorite musicians ever. Glad to hear that he's putting out another solo guitar album.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search