What Speaker: DIY subkick
Old 4th March 2006
Gear addict

What Speaker: DIY subkick

If I could find a used NS-10 speaker........................... I would use it.

What else can be used with good results in a decent price range. In most pawn-shops there are those funky looking sub-speakers but they don't even have a center cone in them. But would they still work well?

I also have a little beater practice amp (Peavy Rage) that I could rip apart. Or maybe just leave it in the case? Would that little bastard work well if it was stuffed up to a kick drum.

Also, what is the best size of speaker to use?

Any help here (maybe some online links) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

actually, now that you mention it... i'm going to make an extension (or just use a headphone ext.) and plug the speaker from a combo amp, speaker still in, and run with that. I never even thought of that before, thanks.

Oh, and any speaker really should work. I don't know how much sound quality/differences you will hear though. I've seen people use ns10's, i've seen other bare speakers hanging from a mic stand, and i've seen complete stands people have made, sometimes putting large subwoofers...
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

We use an 8" "Audax" car stereo speaker claped into an old snare drum stand. Works well enough.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

I built one myself recently. I used a 6 1/2" speaker and mounted into a home made wooden stand. From what I've heard the cheaper the speaker the better as they are generally thinner. I don't know if this is fact or not, it's just what I've read on various forums.
Old 4th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
putting large subwoofers...
Do you mean the kind that don't have a center cone. Y'know the ones that the kids put in their car trunks that keep me up most nights.

Boom...........Boom........Boom..........

Those would work?
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

Don't be afraid to go bigger. A buddy of mine made one out of a Dynaudio woofer 8" Sounds great. I have used a 10" Tannoy and it was wonderful. The bigger it is the lower the octave and the fuller the sound. I compared the Yamaha subkick to an actual ns-10 woofer in the cabinet and thought the NS-10 sounded deeper and better. Don't know why but it felt less peaky and more balanced.

Michael Greene
Old 5th March 2006
Gear addict

Thanks for the help!

I for kicks tried the line out on the headphone jack of the guitar amp on a bass amp the signal came through very hot.

Had to turn the bass amp waaay down to keep it from clipping!
Old 5th March 2006
MonsterIsland.com

I use a 6 or 8 inch speaker from Radio Shack.

The funniest thing was that and engineer who had used it at my place called me up later to get the model because the he thought the on I had sounded better than the one he got when he went to Radio Shack looking for the same thing.

I don't thiknk he's crazy beucase, one, he's got good ears and two, I've found with my set up, the choice of mic pre makes a far bigger difference that I would have guessed.

I'm assuming that it's an impedance issue.
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

Has anyone ever used a bass cabinet as a mic? I'm guessing you could just plug a cab into a DI box - haven't tried it though ...
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

Do not forget a pad. My first attempts had some not so nice distortion from clipping.....

I also tried a closed speaker cabinet. does not work. The damping of the cabinet makes it too woolly.

I still used a 421 or 112 next to it to have options when mixing.

Kind regards,

Harrie
Old 5th March 2006

I used to use a whole trace elliot 4 x 10 inch speaker cabinet. subs from hell.

I think pretty much any speaker will work. and remember the pad.

narco
Old 5th March 2006
Gear addict

I use an old guitar combo amp with a 12" speaker. I plug the speaker into a DI with pad (-20db)
Works great.
There is no need to build anything to hold the speaker.
Just put the combo in front of the bass drum.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear addict

Are DIY subkcks really that easy? How did you guys wire up the speaker you decided to use? Just wired the speaker to an xlr or.... I'm curious to try this but have never heard how before.
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolate4roses View Post
Are DIY subkcks really that easy? How did you guys wire up the speaker you decided to use? Just wired the speaker to an xlr or.... I'm curious to try this but have never heard how before.
I built one a few weeks ago... I used a 6" speaker out of an old Altec Lansing computer subwoofer (the internal amp died).

I really did just make a stand for it and wire an XLR to it.

I found contradicting articles about how to wire it (standard or reverse polarity), so I just wired it hot (pin 2) to +, and cold (pin 3) to - ; I left the shield unhooked. I figured that if it sounded out of phase I could just switch the wires, but that wasn't necessary.

This thing sounds GOOD... coupled with my D6, it sounds GREAT.

A lot of people mentioned having to put a pad inline, but I didn't... the output didn't seem nearlyas hot as most of them made me think it should be; granted, I only have the gain on that channel at about 15-20%, but still, I can make that work. Maybe a pad would get me closer to 50% on the gain (giving me more adjustability), but in my case it doesn't seem necessary.

Anyway, If I wouldn't have used a GOOD XLR cable, I'd have virtually NOTHING into building this thing... it was all crap that I had lying around the house!

Have fun!
Steve
Old 28th February 2010
Can't stop buying gear...

I use the LF driver from a Focal Solo 6 that FedEx decided to drop when I sold it. I like it in this application so much more than as a studio monitor...
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

I use a 12" subwoofer for a car. It's a dual voice coil 2000 watt woofer that cost about 400 bucks. I thought it would be cool to have this in my car...but I was wrong. So, I just have it in a shitty wooden box from wall mart and put it right in front of the kick. It's got a TON of resistance and makes for a really 'puncy' sound compared to my uncle's subkick from yamaha. It goes super low too. It sounds good with just a tiny bit mixed in with an re-20 with the high pass filter engaged.

Neil
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

A subkick shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to make. Just make sure you do a good job soldering, these things can be noisy as hell. On that note, make sure you filter the heck out of it above 80hz.
The big differences in sound will come from the quality of the bass drum, its tuning, the room, and the preamp. Other than that, a cone is a cone imo.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear addict

Awsome!
I'm goona give this a shot and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the pin lay out.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen View Post
I use an old guitar combo amp with a 12" speaker. I plug the speaker into a DI with pad (-20db)
Works great.
There is no need to build anything to hold the speaker.
Just put the combo in front of the bass drum.
Hey! Seems to be the German way of sub-kicking Exactly my "setup": old bulky 12" Marshall combo in front of the kick drum - there's a jack input, or as I use it now: output which I plug into a DI box and to a preamp. Experiment with the distance and you'll be very happy with the LF.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search