Microtech Gefell UM92 S
New Reply
Subscribe
tigheguy
14th May 2011
Old 14th May 2011
Gear maniac

Microtech Gefell UM92 S

Anyone want to give me a history lesson or any other info about these? It's a little hard when most of my searches pull up info only on the UM92.1. I have 3 total. 1 silver matched pair and 1 black.

I've really been digging the way they sound. They're another color than anything else in my toolbox for sure. The difference in response when cycling through the polar patterns is more dramatic than I've ever heard. I know the sound of an 87 like the back of my hand so I put them up in comparison on a lot of applications and they were so much fun to listen to.

Thanks
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear maniac

Hello,

.....The UM92 (as well as the UM92.1S, UM57, CMV563 etc)...all have very similar circuit topologies with some varying components choices (different tubes, transformers). With the UM92 being effectively a slightly modified UM57....
...the ".1" designations only indicate the addition of R.F. chokes in the circuit and an ef86 tube and updated power supply.

The UM92 uses a ec92 triode, a dual humbucking style transformer (with an average ratio of 6:1), and an M7 capsule. The circuit is a plate follower with no cathode bypass cap but instead connects the transformer to the cathode resistor for feedback. A lowish value (comparatively speaking) plate resistor as well as a lowish value grid resistor. Grounded front membrane with the signal taken off of the backplate. I do also believe that it has a heater voltage trimpot inside the mic.

I believe its introduction was simply to satisfy a U.S. distributor.

There are a wide variety of modifications available that allow the beauty of the M7 transducer to really shine through, effectively removing certain (what some would consider) sonic maladies of the circuit design. However if you enjoy the current sound and it suits your purposes then great! I personally like the way it sounds either way...(for different reasons on different material of course)

I hope this was of some help...enjoy!
tigheguy
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks a lot Dimitri. I appreciate it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search