Recording vocals with speakers on 2
I did find a similar post, but not with this approach .. what do you think?
Today I did some experiments, don't know if this is done before .. but I'll share my idea for discussion. Recording vocals with speakers on.
1) Setup the mic and a gain setting for the song (or part of the song)
2) Set a comfortable level on 1 speaker
3) Be very quiet and do a silent pass, record the spill in the mic
4) Don't change any levels on the pre/speaker, don't change mic position ..
5) Record your vocals
6) Buss the silent pass (flip the polarity) with the recorded track
7) If desired, bounce the vocal buss for easier editing
I found out this worked pretty good .. and got a very clean vocal to compress/eq afterwards ..it doesn't eliminate the spill completly .. but it did give a serious and very workable reduction.
NOTE .. when you change mic position/pre-amp gain/speaker level .. re-record the silent mic-spill pass for that part. That's the only trade off I guess.
Worth trying, or done before?
Last edited by chielio72; 12th May 2011 at 01:32 PM..
Reason: added examples