Login / Register

THE WUP Poll
View Poll Results: WUP: are you "IN" (WUP Paid) or "OUT" (WUP NOT current)
WUP is OK, freebies are cool, I'm "IN"
11 Votes - 4.07%
WUP sucks, Plugs are worth it, so I'm "IN" (sigh)
49 Votes - 18.15%
WUP Sucks, Plugs good, I'm "OUT" but I still use the (waves) plugs
87 Votes - 32.22%
WUP Sucks, I'm "OUT" and I NEVER use waves because of it
74 Votes - 27.41%
Who cares, waves plugs aren't worth it, I'm "OUT"
26 Votes - 9.63%
WUP the F**k are you talking about?
23 Votes - 8.52%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
ProPower
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

THE WUP Poll

WUP is clearly a contentious policy. Many are quite outspoken about this. Is this the general trend or ??????.

I tried to list what seemed like the most popular responses to this. It was harder than I thought to sum it up! Anyway, here it is.....

It's my first POLL :-)
Have fun....
-Lee
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower
WUP is clearly a contentious policy. Many are quite outspoken about this. Is this the general trend or ??????.

It's my first POLL :-)
Have fun....
-Lee
eh. mmmm eh where is the poll?

remco
ProPower
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

Bump....
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

dfegad WUP
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Gear addict

My Gold Bundle WUP expired in 2004. I just looked yesterday and it's almost $300 to upgrade which I need to do IF I want to move to PT7 (from 6.9) and get the enhanced plug-in efficency. $300 is almost half an API mic pre! Damned if I do, damned if i don't.
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Gear Guru

WUP sucks but I'm stuck having to do recalls that involve Waves plugs. If I was starting from scratch- NO WAVES!
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

I did not vote because no category describes how I feel.

In terms of my own experience, I have had no problem with WUP.

A company needs to fund development, research, and ongoing support and either they will charge for upgrades, charge for support on a per-incident basis, do something like WUP or some combination of these three.

I'm under WUP and have had GREAT tech support (long distance to Tel Aviv with very personable techs for well over an hour several times) and a few freebies, so I personally have gotten my money's worth. I wish other companies were more responsive in terms of support, and if it means paying more, I would not mind.

I don't necessarily feel that Waves plugins are the greatest, but I like several and use them.

So, personally, I can't complain that WUP has adversely affected me.

However, even though it does not affect me, I do feel very strongly that holding pre-WUP customers bound to the new WUP policies is very, very wrong. It is effectively changing a contract mid-game.

Specifically, someone who is happily running version 4 with HD authorization and experiences a hard drive failure ... having to pay/upgrade to continue using the plugin (without wanting or needing any upgrade) is wrong.

Waves would probably counter with, "but we are providing a support service" to which I would counter, "YOUR copy protection scheme is the only reason the customer needs to deal with you". The policy essentially FORCES a customer who has experienced a disk failure or needs to reinstall to upgrade whether they want to or not. I'm not against copy protection at all, but it needs to be implemented in a fair and responsible way.

Requiring people who want upgrades to pay for them, I have no problem with. Requiring people to pay to continue using an older version: bad. People who do not like the idea of WUP have a choice to not buy Waves plugins in the future, but existing pre-WUP customers have no such choice. The word "extortion" gets bandied about and it's not too far off the mark in this case.

I think a lot of the animosity towards Waves and WUP stems from this last part. It is not WUP per se, but how it is being implemented that is problematic.

@ Waves, if you are reading this: change your policy regarding pre-WUP customers who do not want to upgrade.

That's my opinion.
ProPower
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

Hey,

Just for the record....

Someone added a new category to the poll (#6 ie WUP the f**k). I didn't know this was possible. Oh well..........
-Lee
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
Lives for gear

What the **** is WUP ?

I hate not knowing what`s going on around here.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
What the **** is WUP ?

I hate not knowing what`s going on around here.
WUP is the Waves Update Plan.
The idea is that you pay a yearly fee and you get free stuff...
Problem is, the stuff you get is not free after you own it for a year and you need updates. The biggest problem with WUP is that the clock starts ticking the day you register your Waves product.

This is one of the latest discussion on the "Q-Clone is now included with Diamond Bundle" responce on Digidesign's Forum:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...rt=&PHPSESSID=

What you need to be aware of is that even if you let your WUP expire, the bill keeps going up if you need "ANY" type of service from Waves. Examples:
ProTools V7 update: Required a current WUP to make Waves work with ProTools V7...
You're Disk Authorization fails when you upgrade your system or your HD dies: Requires WUP to install your authorization onto an iLok... Through Waves, not iLok,com...
You purchased IR1 and you want to download new Convolutions: You need a current WUP for your IR-* product to access acoustics,net

What's the cost, you ask? In my case, Platinum Native: $200-/yr ..and.. IR-1 Native, $100-/yr. My current WUP? ~$400 for being out of date 6 months.

What have I received for my original WUP you ask?
RenMaxx (BFD... just another compressor)
L3 Multimaximizer: although the Mastering Bundle is included in the Platinum Bundle, they only saw fit to give us the "LITE" version of L3. The full version is $300- more.
IR-1 update to V2... again, BFD!... and one year of sporatic captured Convolutions.

What would I get if I paid the $400- WUP you ask?
ProTools V7 compatability and Tune-LT (which has its own WUP next year).

No... I cannot support that kind of careless policy.

BTW, thanks for whoever posted this poll. You gave me the insentive to finally sign up here.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Thank you Shaman D and I`m sorry I asked now.

That doesn`t sound like a good deal at all.

Welcome to the forum !
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Almost Human Send a message via Yahoo to Almost Human
So here's a question...for someone that would now purchase a Waves bundle and had it authorized to an iLok...if you're happy using your current version, you would technically not need to pay for the WUP would you? I mean, even if you switched computers and hard drives, or your hard drive crashed...wouldn't you just have to reinstall the version you had (assuming you have it stored on a disk or elsewhere), pop in your iLok for authorization, and then have everything work like normal? Maybe I'm not understanding the way the WUP works.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
So here's a question...for someone that would now purchase a Waves bundle and had it authorized to an iLok...if you're happy using your current version, you would technically not need to pay for the WUP would you? I mean, even if you switched computers and hard drives, or your hard drive crashed...wouldn't you just have to reinstall the version you had (assuming you have it stored on a disk or elsewhere), pop in your iLok for authorization, and then have everything work like normal? Maybe I'm not understanding the way the WUP works.
Yes. Except that the possibility exists that a new operating system or host DAW upgrade might require a newer version of Waves to work properly ... and then you would need to contact Waves. But yeah, barring such situations, and assuming your iLok led a long and healthy life, you could continue to use the software and your authorization would be on your iLok.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Waves took serious advantage of ProTools users since the PT V7 update requires a new Waveshell. Not just to get the efficiency PT incorporated, but to even let your Waves plugins work. When PT V7 was released, Waves raised the price of WUP to 150% of what it was a week earlier.
As for the iLok, yes, it was always an option to use Disk Authorization or iLok through Waves' web site. Waves once told me that WUP was not required for Disk Re-Authorizations (July '05) so I thought that is okay. Then Waves cancels the whole Disk Authorization capability and requires you to have WUP for simply transfering my authorization to iLok. This is plain WRONG! I have better things to spend $400- on. I'll use PTLE v7 on my other "WAVES~less" rig.
Can you say "EXTORTION!"
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
i see no reason to ever buy software from waves.
ProPower
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

THANKS for all who took the time to vote on this!

FWIW I originally got the bug to do this because my local gear pimp up here in Seattle said that most people hated WUP but paid it none the less. This poll seems to indicate otherwise....

It is interesting to see that out of the 85 responses so far a whopping 25% just say NO to waves because of this policy! The biggest chunk though are people in category 3 who ARE waves customers but have not bought nto the WUP program. If/When this category is faced with either WUP or loose these plugs Waves could see a major loss of their existing user base. If you look at categories 1 through 3 as their existing user base the exposure is close to 75% possible loss.

Of course it is all YMMV, IMHO, yes there were only 85 votes, limited cross section, etc etc....

In the end I will surely email this to the waves folk......

-Lee
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear addict

Come on Peep's; VOTE!

[shameless bump]
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear addict

Message left on the Waves forum as a result of this poll:

"As you can clearly see from the above poll, a sampling of actual users, there is a serious disconnect between Waves' consensus from users "wanting" a WUP plan v.s. Users who spoke up about WUP.

With the premium cost structure of Waves plugins and the wealth of product diversity, why would Waves continue to insist WUP is good for everyone. More than 75% of polled users state imphatically stated that WUP is a bad policy. 22% are marginal on accepting it.

What is WUP really doing to the bottom line for Waves products sold? Is Waves really making more money with requiring WUP be paid up from the time you register? Wouldn't there be a much greater income if Waves were to simply charge for updates as they come along at a fixed fee? Shouldn't WUP be offered as a "Premium Service" for the studios that require full time support and on time delivery of updates and upgrades?

WUP is just plain wrong for the average home studio owner and artist. And believe me when I tell you that it takes very little to convince a would be Waves customer to put the product back on the shelf when they understand the true impact on their pocketbook over time with the WUP policy.

There is a market for WUP, but not as a sole solution for all users. Fixed fee processing is still the norm in this industry. Waves would probably have 50% of the polled unhappy customers back if they were to adjust their policy which heeds the concerns voiced to date.

Thank you for your time in reading this and other rants of mine on this forum and many others. I am one of many very unsatisfied Waves customer. "

http://forum.waves.com/cgi-bin/yabb/...6319;start=0#7
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
What sucks is for people that bought under disk authorization and then to install on a new machine. They don't do disk authorization anymore and will only transfer your authorizations to iLok if you buy WUP. It's a racket and a breach of contract. When I bought and installed the software, I did not agree to pay Waves forever for the privilege of installing software that I've already paid for.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear addict

It gets better... I even wrote Waves just before my WUP expired and asked if Disk Re-Authorization required a current WUP, and they "No, you do not need a current WUP for Disk Re-Authorization"... So I was fine with dropping WUP and not moving my bundles to an ilok.

Yes, this is betrail!
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to hociman Send a message via Yahoo to hociman Send a message via Skype™ to hociman
WUP'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamansDream
Yes, this is betrail!
No, you got WUP'd!
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hociman
No, you got WUP'd!
I may have been taken for a ride, but WUP'd, no way!
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

I think, since no one else does it, it makes them seem like assholes. I have no problem with the WUP fee since they add new plugins for free. I am ok with it. I do not expect continued tech support and new plugins releases for free. Tech support for a plugin is a lot more work for the company then hardware support is. With all the updates, and everyone having a slightly different system, there is a lot of room for errors. Someone has to pay those guys answering the phones.... And when you call Waves, they pick up fast. Little wait time and well educated people helping. No complaints here.
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I think, since no one else does it, it makes them seem like assholes. I have no problem with the WUP fee since they add new plugins for free. I am ok with it. I do not expect continued tech support and new plugins releases for free. Tech support for a plugin is a lot more work for the company then hardware support is. With all the updates, and everyone having a slightly different system, there is a lot of room for errors. Someone has to pay those guys answering the phones.... And when you call Waves, they pick up fast. Little wait time and well educated people helping. No complaints here.
I don't think Waves is charging you $600.00 for your WUP. IMO it's out of line
$600.00 is a lot of *ukin phone calls

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Gear addict

Does anyone else that makes convolution reverbs charge you $100-/year for downloading new IR's? ...And you're lucky if acoustics.net provide 3 a month!
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I don't think Waves is charging you $600.00 for your WUP. IMO it's out of line
$600.00 is a lot of *ukin phone calls

We just paid that bill last week!! I have no problem with it. I think, since recording has gotten cheaper (with digital) people seem to expect more for their money. It is the strangest thing. People should be happy they can get in the game so inexpensively. Imagine trying to do what you do pre digital.... 80k per tape machine, $200 for each 15-30 minutes of tape, 500k for a console, big plate reverbs, and the room to use it all in. How would you operate then? How about when your console would go down, or your tape machines? In the grand scheme, a $600 yearly 100% up keep bill for a major component in a studio is not bad at all.

The fact is, most people on gearslutz would not be able to do what they do for a living or hobby if it wasn't for all this stuff. If you wanna play with the big boys you should have to pay. There should be a separation of the real studios/records and low budget demos. That line gets thinner all the time and people should be happy with what they can get and not complain about any costs, cause you don't know costs (that last line goes out to all the youngsters one here who never had to deal in the old world).

P.S. Sorry to go tad OT, but I think it is relevant to this thread.
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
We just paid that bill last week!! I have no problem with it. I think, since recording has gotten cheaper (with digital) people seem to expect more for their money. It is the strangest thing. People should be happy they can get in the game so inexpensively. Imagine trying to do what you do pre digital.... 80k per tape machine, $200 for each 15-30 minutes of tape, 500k for a console, big plate reverbs, and the room to use it all in. How would you operate then? How about when your console would go down, or your tape machines? In the grand scheme, a $600 yearly 100% up keep bill for a major component in a studio is not bad at all.

The fact is, most people on gearslutz would not be able to do what they do for a living or hobby if it wasn't for all this stuff. If you wanna play with the big boys you should have to pay. There should be a separation of the real studios/records and low budget demos. That line gets thinner all the time and people should be happy with what they can get and not complain about any costs, cause you don't know costs (that last line goes out to all the youngsters one here who never had to deal in the old world).

P.S. Sorry to go tad OT, but I think it is relevant to this thread.
Your first paragraph reads very similar to a point I constantly make when people overly criticize the costs involved with UPGRADING hardware/software in the digital platform.
However, I do not consider WUP an upgrade but rather an enforced maintenance fee. They seem persistent in wanting a steady and continuous income stream (like a royalty) well after the initial purchase. The problem for me is that wasn’t part of the agreement when I first bought into Waves many years ago.

Music production is my living not a hobby. I’ve owned large format consoles, various tape machines and I’m well aware of the costs involved with doing business in both analog and digital formats. I believe enforced WUP is wrong. An option i.e. extended warranty or fee based charge when needed would seem more appropriate.
I remember in the early 90’s Waves probably being the first company to come out with plug ins I used in combination with Sound Tools. I hadn’t been as impressed with computer technology since the Fairlight. So maybe I’m not a youngster.

In 1998 I purchased my first Waves Gold Bundle. At the time it was perhaps their most expensive collection of plug ins for Pro Tools. The saleman’s pitch was informing that by buying into the Gold Bundle I was entitled to any new plug ins or upgrades that Waves might produce within a year of my purchase. Sound familiar?
Shortly thereafter these plugs and upgrades were released and I paid.
Doppler & Enigma -- $400.
C4 -- $350.
L2 -- $720.
V3 --> V4 -- $400.
Upgrades to Platinum + Upgrades to Diamond....you get my point?
Eight years later I now have the pleasure of paying what amounts to a maintenance fee on that same software I purchased in 1998.
Charge me for upgrades...charge me for tech support but only as released and as needed.
I do not appreciate being lured into purchasing a product with certain assurances coming from the manufacturer only to find that they continually change the rules and subsequent benefits after the sale.

Today I have 4 Pro Tools rigs and therefore have a few Waves bundles. I like Waves plug ins, appreciate their technology and am impressed by their support. Just as much as I am with other software companies I’ve bought in to that don’t charge an enforced maintenance fee.
I’ve been a long and loyal Waves subscriber and have paid for that Gold Bundle over and over again under their various terms or policies. While I don’t expect to be rewarded for that loyalty I also do not anticipate being screwed either.
This is an expanding platform that I for one have committed to. We need companies like Waves to continue developing quality products and I will gladly pay for those products. It’s the number of times I have to pay for the same product I’m objecting to.
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Jamz, your points are well taken. I understand, from an ethical stand point, the frustrations you and many of us have with Waves. My point was geared to look at things like this as an overall wash.

You have been in the game a long time and you have experienced the headaches of the past, and now, this is an example of the present day headaches. If I had to choose, I prefer today's headaches, but I admit, I miss yesterday's separation (... a studio being a special place outside the reach of people's bedrooms).

Waves was (as you mentioned), a big part of the initial group of companies that brought legitimacy to DAWs. Even with your long history of being shafted by Waves, you are still a customer. You continue to upgrade and get new products. That says something.. They are still cutting edge, and a step ahead of most other plugin companies. I don't disagree with you for your anger towards them, but you know the score by now and you know what you are getting yourself into when you buy their products. So, if their policies really erk you that much, don't buy anything new that they release. Luckily, unlike years ago when you first bought into Waves, there are many more companies now and you are not forced to buy from them to stay in the game.

Still, in relative costs, I think it is a small price to pay for what we get compared to the old days. That is why I am not bothered. It is all part of a big wash to me. But, rightfully so, YMMV. Cheers!
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

What about McDSP and their massive pack policy . I have channel G with Massive pack4 and to turn it into a regular version (ie updates) you have to pay 195$ . That's a lot for one plug in cause I had MC2000 already even if it's in MP4 .

And you have to update by fax . Very convenient .

Volodia
Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Scott View Post
BWR drums? I guess Bob played them punchier.
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Jamz, your points are well taken. I understand, from an ethical stand point, the frustrations you and many of us have with Waves. My point was geared to look at things like this as an overall wash.
Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
You have been in the game a long time and you have experienced the headaches of the past, and now, this is an example of the present day headaches. If I had to choose, I prefer today's headaches, but I admit, I miss yesterday's separation (... a studio being a special place outside the reach of people's bedrooms).
My problem with Waves only dates back to 1998. We had running water back then LOL! I'm guessing that my "yesterday" dates back a little further than your "yesterday". Either way it's a safe bet to state there'll always be headaches regardless of time frame. However, that's no excuse for poor business tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Waves was (as you mentioned), a big part of the initial group of companies that brought legitimacy to DAWs. Even with your long history of being shafted by Waves, you are still a customer. You continue to upgrade and get new products. That says something..
I also drive up to the gas station reguarly and pay what the oil companies are charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
They are still cutting edge, and a step ahead of most other plugin companies. I don't disagree with you for your anger towards them, but you know the score by now and you know what you are getting yourself into when you buy their products. So, if their policies really erk you that much, don't buy anything new that they release. Luckily, unlike years ago when you first bought into Waves, there are many more companies now and you are not forced to buy from them to stay in the game.

Still, in relative costs, I think it is a small price to pay for what we get compared to the old days. That is why I am not bothered. It is all part of a big wash to me. But, rightfully so, YMMV. Cheers!
Wow! you sound like my parents. Speaking of relatives I sure hope your "WE" in "We just paid our WUP" aren't your parents. LOL! I'd feel pretty silly at this point.
Your longing for the seperation of bedroom and studio is certainly attainable. Stop recording in bedrooms. Not really clear on your old days/new days stuff but again as an excuse to substantiate questionable business tactics it's nowhere near relevant.
Especially, since they're the only one's doing it ...so far.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search