Login / Register

Headphones that could work like auratones?
New Reply
Subscribe
foge
16th April 2011
Old 16th April 2011
Gear nut

Headphones that could work like auratones?

I end up doing alot of mixing on headphones and was sat in a studio today working with a pair of auratones (mixcubes) and other monitors and was wondering if there is a headphone equivalent of this?
I.e. on auratones I find it easy to judge relative levels, upper bass, kick eq etc. They are super fast and revealing for setting attack times on compressors etc.

I would love to have an option of something similar work with when I am on the move with my laptop and it would be easy for me to switch headphones.

I use a pair of beyerdynamic dt880pros as my main headphones and they are fine but I have started to wonder is there a headphone equivalent of a pair of auratones that don't have the bottom and top end that can be really distracting when trying to mix for small speakers?

I may be just going nuts on this one.

Any suggestions from anyone else working in the laptop mobile world?

Cheers
GEoff
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dualflip Send a message via Skype™ to dualflip
I actually think you mean that you listened to Avantones right?, in such case i think that the standard white ipod earphones would be the "equivalent" sort of speak of that kinda vibe...
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

@dualflip

Aurotones are the originals, no longer in production. Avantones are the fairly expensive modern copies that have a similar name, and are a similar but not exact copy.

Behringer are bringing out the active C5A and C50A (called "Behritones" - there about to drop in the next few months the C5A is like an Aurotone, C50A is like an Avantone mixcube)and there is a High-end Aussie company called Grover Notting making their own version as well. I had a listen through a mono Grover just the other week and its a beautiful broadband speaker, could happily mix on one of those all day. But I think I'm just gonna snap up a Behritone when they are released (and just hide the Behringer logo)

so, back to your question foge,

For end user headphone translation, then yeah ipod earphones are the way to go, but thats not what your asking for really.

In terms of getting a second set specifically for focusing on mids, setting levels and comp settings without having everything hyped etc, maybe look at a pair of open backed phones (if that isn't what your already using). Closed backed have that bass-resonance thing and can be distracting.

Maybe some open backed AKGs? k240s IIs? (I think thats the correct product name), I thought they were really nice when I was testing phones (went for AT M50s in the end)

Aurotones have the theory that because they are a single broadband speaker you focus on the most important part, the middle, and maybe show problems that the crossover in your 2 or 3way monitors were hiding. But your probably just better off getting 1 mixcube/behritone/aurotone in reality and just switch to it from your headphones when you need to

EDIT: As headphones are single driver anyway (well most are) there isn't really any comparison other then less bass buildup in closed phones
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dualflip Send a message via Skype™ to dualflip
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
@dualflip

Aurotones are the originals, no longer in production. Avantones are the fairly expensive modern copies that have a similar name, and are a similar but not exact copy.

I already know that, but when he said "mixcubes" which is the name of Avantone's model i thought that he meant the Avantones, and not the Auratones, ive used both and know them very well....
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I already know that, but when he said "mixcubes" which is the name of Avantone's model i thought that he meant the Avantones, and not the Auratones, ive used both and know them very well....
righto, sorry mate
foge
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah the avantone mixcubes.
I just found them easy to mix on, the trouble for me is I am always traveling around and frequently writing/editing/mixing on my laptop. My Dt880pros feel like mixing on full range monitors and I find the bottom end and top end distracting in the same way I find it distracting on big monitors.
i.e. Mixing is easier with two different sets of speakers.

So I was thinking about the same thing with headphones i.e. I like the dt880s which are open back headphones, but don't find them particularly helpful for predicting my mixes behaviour on smaller speakers or crap car stereos which often mock me

So I have been wondering if there is a way of monitoring on headphones that will predict my mixes behaviour in a way thats comparable to using mixcubes/auratones.

I suppose I can always highpass and lowpass filter my mixbuss until focusrite or someone else brings out a Audio Unit version of VRM but as with all things audio its rarely that simple :(

Glad Behringer are gonna hit the market with some cheap auratone copies will be really interested to see how they perform as the mixcubes are pretty serious cash at least they could fit in a small bag.
G
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Gear addict

Have a look at the Focusrite VRM Box.......
Works for me.
And not expensive either.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search