Login / Register

Complete silence on the Sonics Animas SE ?
New Reply
Subscribe
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear maniac

Anyone have the data that Joachim Gerhard posted about how he uses them with a sub?

thank you

yannick
25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
I love them as well. I have to say that the low end took a while for me to adjust to as it wasnt as exaggerated as on my focal twins.
Focal Twins have 'exaggerated' bass??

Wow, first time I've heard that.

And certainly not what I felt when shooting them out against barefoots and 0300's.

I ultimately went with Opals lol

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." --Gore Vidal
"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells
"Life is too important to be taken Seriously." --Oscar Wilde
"We have Art so that we may not die of Reality." --Friedrich Nietzsche
25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Just to add to your anticipation:

I'm about a month into my Animas now and I can't ever imagine being without them. They make mix choices so clear and easy.

Truly awesome mix tools that have totally transformed my work.

I realise now I already had all the high end mics and pre's and outboard I needed to get to my "secret sauce"; I just needed to HEAR what they could do.
I'm so excited to see you post this. My pair are one set of the 8 sets sold and I can't wait for them!!!! Thanks Brian!!
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Guru

I've heard them all. This little speaker is not ballsy or loud, but as a mix tool? It's going to change many lives, no matter what you're using. And we're working hard on keeping prices down as we go to all-US manufacturing on the cabinets.

In the good news category, I'm told the new cabs look amazing and are glued perfectly. Veneers are beautiful. 12 pair are still at the finisher. There are 4 or 5 pair left to sell at this price. After this set are sold (at a loss) we must raise the price for wood finishes. We will then make a black finish at the same price or barely higher.
Mastering Engineer Recent #1 records: The Black Keys "Turn Blue", Ray LaMontagne "Supernova", Chet Faker "Built on Glass", Arctic Monkeys "AM"

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Guru

The new Ebony speakers are breaking in ... the look is different than before so you may love it (I do) or hate it (totally understandable). I can sell about 10 pair at this price, then we will have to raise the price on wood grain veneers, as these are selling to you at a loss. No joke. They have integrity and are honoring my deal to you, but they are losing money here.

In a couple of months we will have a nice black over bamboo for the current, lower price ... all wood grains will be $400-700 more. TBA.

So here's the new Ebony look. Satin poly finish that has an open grain, very natural look and yet durable. Hand made and hand finished in San Fran. If you have these on order and want to wait for black that's fine, please let me know asap. If you like these and want a pair in this finish at this price, please let me know asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Complete silence on the Sonics Animas SE ?-new-ebony-1.jpg   Complete silence on the Sonics Animas SE ?-new-ebony-close.jpg  
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
Lives for gear

Brian I have replied to your mail, they look great.
23rd June 2011
Old 23rd June 2011
Gear Guru

If anyone wants Black speakers, they're coming soon and will be the future finish for the Studio Edition line. We're using bamboo in a 3 layer process to replace the Baltic Birch Ply and the veneer. Heavier, but less labor cost.

Veneered wood finishes like the above Ebony, made in the USA, are costly and will be approximately $500 more as soon as this batch of Ebony is sold.
29th June 2011
Old 29th June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Focal Twins have 'exaggerated' bass??

Wow, first time I've heard that.

And certainly not what I felt when shooting them out against barefoots and 0300's.

I ultimately went with Opals lol
I only meant that the Anima has less bottom than the Twins. Enjoy your Opals.

Cheers.

www.jaywilliamhenderson.com

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
-Albert Einstein
30th June 2011
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Long story short; had a little shuffle round in the studio here and changed my mix position. The Animas now have their backs to the wall, so to speak. I know I really ought to plug the ports, but I'm loving the bit of extra bass that the new postioning brings and it's been so quick and easy to check how my recordings translate to other systems.

So while it's true that positioning makes a big, big difference with these babies, it's also true that you can also learn or re-learn them very quickly - no matter what room your in.

Still groovin'!
1st July 2011
Old 1st July 2011
Gear nut

Hey Dayo,
Would you mind posting the dimensions of your room and where the speakers now sit in relation to those dimensions.

I just received my new Animas on Monday (Thank You Brian!!) - they are really beautiful boxes!

I've only had a short amount of time with them so far. My chain is coming out of an Apogee Rosetta into a Manley Stingray and into the Animas. The Stingray is unbalanced so I had to wire the outs to an RCA connector.

I've had probably two hours of listening to some current and old mixes along with my commercial CD --- I am impressed! I have heard nuances and clarity that I've not heard before in some of the commercial recordings on my standard go-to's that I've listened to so far. The animas probably need 200 or so more hours of break-in still, and I've not moved them yet according to Allen Perkins placement guidelines. But they are sounding excellent sitting where my KRK E8Bs were. I'll post more when I've gotten more time with them.

Cheers, Al
4th July 2011
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac55 View Post
Hey Dayo,
Would you mind posting the dimensions of your room and where the speakers now sit in relation to those dimensions.
You'll want a more or less equilateral triangle, if anything a little more narrow, with the tweeters aimed past your head. Ear height between the tweeter/driver. Moving them L/R and F/R in 2-3" moves will matter a lot in a small room.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear Guru

Monday news:

Ebony veneer over baltic birch ply prices are going up at least $500, later this week, US labor costs.
Black finish over bamboo ply will be the same price as now, up to $150 more/pair, later this week.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac55 View Post
Hey Dayo,
What Brian said!

Mine sit about 4 feet 6 inches apart. The tweeters are aimed about 1 to 2 feet behind my head. The rear wall (which is well treated) is about 8 feet from the speakers. Small room as you can work out.

I think you'll quickly get used to whatever position you can muster.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Monday news:

Ebony veneer over baltic birch ply prices are going up at least $500, later this week, US labor costs.
I would have thought that labor costs would be staying the same or dropping, given the state of the economy.
6th July 2011
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I would have thought that labor costs would be staying the same or dropping, given the state of the economy.
Perhaps, but skilled labor in the USA is a whole lot more than in China. The speakers up to recently were made in bulk in China. These are now cut and hand glued to a higher tolerance, and all done local to Berkeley. China was containers full, 30% not up to par, no credits until the following 6 figure order. That was not a workable model for the quality I want. We have worked very hard to hold prices, and at worst it's a $50-150/pr. increase that's coming this week on Black. Ebony will be around $400-500 more I'm told, unconfirmed, still working on making them, more than on pricing them!

The Black Anima speakers are all bamboo, so there is no extra step for veneer. The Ebony speakers are soon to be made of bamboo, with a veneer. Bamboo is a slightly heavier wood but also stiffer, and it's renewable, so that's the decision. The finish is also California "green" compliant. So we have gone from a cab made in Germany and then China with toxic chemicals, and shipped to the US for manufacture, to a cab being made and then assembled all in the USA, and all green/renewable.

The Black Animas are now going to be the primary model. A vast majority wanted black at first, and Allen Perkins/Spiral Groove have responded to that. They have also worked hard to keep the prices low.
27th July 2011
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Still looking for anyone in NY area who has a pair that would be kind enough to let me stop in and take a listen to for a minute...
27th July 2011
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Still looking for anyone in NY area who has a pair that would be kind enough to let me stop in and take a listen to for a minute...
In 2 months I hope to have a demo unit in the US of the new black model.
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Guru

Sonics by Joachim Gerhard is now: Spiral Groove
Anima has evolved into: Studio One

New, stiffer, eco-friendly, cab material of bamboo ply with a water finish ... hand glued, hand stained in Berkeley, California, USA.

Website up soon
18th November 2011
Old 18th November 2011
Gear maniac

these look unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
The new Ebony speakers are breaking in ... the look is different than before so you may love it (I do) or hate it (totally understandable). I can sell about 10 pair at this price, then we will have to raise the price on wood grain veneers, as these are selling to you at a loss. No joke. They have integrity and are honoring my deal to you, but they are losing money here.

In a couple of months we will have a nice black over bamboo for the current, lower price ... all wood grains will be $400-700 more. TBA.

So here's the new Ebony look. Satin poly finish that has an open grain, very natural look and yet durable. Hand made and hand finished in San Fran. If you have these on order and want to wait for black that's fine, please let me know asap. If you like these and want a pair in this finish at this price, please let me know asap.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Anything new about these monitors?

I am mixing a metal album now for the first time on my Opals... and don't like them at all. They are too bright for my taste... my mix sounds too fat with not enough clarity.

Anyone here who has the Animas and had or has the opals as well? How do they compare?

www.diy-racked.com
Musician
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Animas kick Opals out of the water for sure.
Heard the Opals and they sucked for me.
The Animas are a very nice mixing reference but they dont go that loud though.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Would you say voicing of the Animas is closer to the Twins (mid forward) then to the Opals?
Musician
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

I had the Twins on demo.

The Animas are much clearer than the Twins which are somewhat midrangey.
But you have to have quality cables and pro amp with them by all means.

I did not like the Opals cos the mids were sunk, as opposed to the Adam S3X with so upfront mids it just was too overdone.

The Twins did not show articulate mids, less than the Adams and better than the Opals... but the sound was kinda muffled?

The thing is: the Animas are smaller so the bass is tight but there, but the mids and highs are clear and well balanced, and thats what a great studio speaker should be about.

Need bass or subs ? Get a separate sub to switch in and out.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Twins with the Sub, Opals and Avantones... thinking to maybe sell the Opals or even the Twins but keep the sub and go for the Animas. The only drawback is that I can't demo the Animas before i decide.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman View Post
?

The thing is: the Animas are smaller so the bass is tight but there, but the mids and highs are clear and well balanced, and thats what a great studio speaker should be about.

Need bass or subs ? Get a separate sub to switch in and out.
Agree. The Animas aren't going to give you that thump in the chest kind of bass, but I always say it's bass you can use.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Are Animas anything close to the small Adams A7 regarding how much low end you can get out of them vs the mid and hi range?
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha View Post
Are Animas anything close to the small Adams A7 regarding how much low end you can get out of them vs the mid and hi range?
I've owned the A7X's for about 2-3 weeks and had them in the same room as the Animas. It's not even close. The Adam A7Xs are not in the same league. I found the bass on the Adams to be muddy and difficult to use when compared to the Animas. The bass on the Animas is clean, tight, fast, and extremely usable, while being consistent at any volume level.

Personally I don't think the price of the A7Xs justify its performance. I found that I preferred the sound of other monitors that cost considerably less than the Adams.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

I am just trying to get some understanding how much bass do the Animas produce vs the mid and hi range.

I know the A7 monitors are very weak in the low end section.
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear nut

Hi purusha

For mixing with these, you really get a great balance of lows, mids and highs - not too much of anything, but just the "right" amount of all frequency content. That is why they are great for "mixing". You will not be blowing the doors out with these. They are a top notch "mixing" tool. A good mix done on these translate everywhere for me. I've yet to hear a better pair for "mixing". I have a sub inline but use it only when I want to check my "sub" freqs.
I know you are in Slovenia and shipping is rather costly, but I think if you contacted Brian and voiced your concerns, he would accept them back if they weren't the right pair for you. He's a trustworthy guy.
Of course I'm assuming you want to buy his product from the U.S., and not the ones being manufactured in Europe. Hope this helps with your query!
Good luck and let us know how you proceed
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks, I got the picture. Lets see how things develop in the future. I will need to save some extra cash first and decide which ones would be better to replace with Animas, the Twins or the Opals... it's a tough decision.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search