Best way to sync MCI JH16 to Apogee Rosetta 800
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Best way to sync MCI JH16 to Apogee Rosetta 800

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I've been looking around the forums here and haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

One is a tape deck and the other is an analog-to-digital converter. There is nothing to sync.
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
One is a tape deck and the other is an analog-to-digital converter. There is nothing to sync.
LOGIC is the DAW and the Apogee is the interface. Pardon my inaccuracy.
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Guru

Please clarify- do you mean having the deck run in sync with the DAW or just a one time from the deck?
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Please clarify- do you mean having the deck run in sync with the DAW or just a one time from the deck?
Tracking on the JH16 then drumping the tracks over to Logic. Then dumping back a stereo mix to the JH16 and doing further overdubs and then dumping those back to Logic and so on and so forth.

I've heard that some people recommend locking the tape deck with the DAW/interface as there is drift on the tape deck.

In the spirit of transparency, I don't have any experience with this type of workflow. I have used analog machines back in the day but with not with a digital system and sync'ing etc...

Thanks!
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Basically what you need to do is print SMPTE timecode on one track of your tape machine & have your DAW read that timecode.
The DAW slaves to the tape machine.
I have no experience using Logic but do it often with a G5 Mac, Protools LE 8 & a Studer A820.
I use Reaper to generate SMPTE & record this onto one track of the tape machine.
Timecode is recorded at a minimum of -10 on the Studer.

Then i use SMPTE reader to read the timecode & covert to Midi timecode for Protools.

Please note: their is no sync box or other interface needed to do this.
Send the recorded SMPTE track output to the audio line in on the back of G5 then as long as SMPTE
reader input is set to receive from line in it should see this timecode.

The output of the reader is then sent to the IAC driver in Protools midi setup.
Stick the transport online and in record ready, hit play on tape machine & once sync is acheived Protools will drop into record automatically.
You will need to have a bit of lead in time for the tape & DAW to lock up. Maybe 10-20 seconds at the most.

This is a cheap & effective method of syncing that i have put under much scrutiny & might be worth a try using Logic.
A friend told me about this method & initially i was a bit sceptical but it really works well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search