What's a good elec gtr for pop/rock?
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

What's a good elec gtr for pop/rock?

Hi

Can anyone suggest a good versatile electric gtr for poppy/rock songs? I would prefer something that's size 000 too.

Thanks!
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

Fender Telecaster. The workhorse of the music industry. Does all things well.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I would agree 100%.

Augment it with a Les Paul or SG and you're pretty much set.

I see very little use of strats these days and frankly, these are the only guitars you need to concern yourself wit.

(Anybody mention a PRS and there will be punches)
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Can you get slightly smaller scaled versions of tele's?

Shaun
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I respectfully disagree. I think telecasters do one thing very well, but I wouldn't call them versatile. I think you'd be better off with a Strat. But even then, you are limited. Ideally, you'd get both a Strat and a Les Paul... two drastically different sounds, and you really can't copy one with the other IMO.

McBalls
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs
I think you'd be better off with a Strat.
McBalls

Yes. I agree. I would also throw out that the guitar amp is more "tone" specific for a particular type of music.
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Hi

I'm thinking of going for a Randall MTS setup, to give me the versatility of interchangable modules.

But I really want a guitar that's slighter smaller, like the 000 size acoustics, but electric. Something like the mini tele.

Any suggestions?
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear maniac

I just recently pondered this exact question... went to my local music store... tried out 20 or so guitars... price range from $200-$1600 and walked away with Mexican made Fender Tele... I tried out the US Tele and for some reason did not match up... this Guitar is one great sounding guitar... it sounds so full and deep without any EQ... me and my friend who came along could only describe it's tone as... MUSIC...

r.
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

What about Squier minis - how do they sound?
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritymusic
Can you get slightly smaller scaled versions of tele's?

Shaun

Not easily.
You might want to look at a Fender Jaguar or Mustang.
They are shorter scale and fit smaller hands better.

Rickenbackers can also work for small hands.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Anything but a fender is a good guitar.
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

So does the scale refer to the length of the neck, from nut to the last fret?

I'm actually after a guitar that is smaller overall in size, maybe a little bigger than a Fender Squier Mini (do these sound ok?)

Shaun
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Well, first off the guitar has to feel right in your hands. I like Gibson tone but for me I don't like how they feel. Not for my hands. I like PRS tone...but yet again does not feel right. I like fender tone..some of them feel good and some don't. Ibanez (highend line) like the tone but I LOVE the feel. SO what can u do? Well u can find a gutar that feels good and change the pickups. Now sure it won't be 110% of the tone of a let's say Gibson but with the right wood combo..you can get close enough.
The other thing you have to think about is the style of the "sound" you are looking for. A combo of the right guitar and pickups along with the right amp and speaker cab is the key. All of these are a BIG factor in your tone. So what kind of vibe are you looking for? Is there a band or guitar player's sound you are looking to get close to?
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006

If you want a smaller guitar, how bout one of those double cut-away Les Paul Juniour or Specials?

There's a UK gtr manufacturer called Patrick Eggle that did a small bodies (LP Junior inspired) double cut gtr. Its tiny, and sounded pretty raucous! Can't remember the name... something like New York or Manhattan?

Your hands (touch/technique) and how you set up your Randall MTS will go a long way to making a versatile array of pop/rock tones

EDIT ---- Yes its the Patrick Eggle New York
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear maniac

Les Paul - versatile in sound, does almost all I want ...
celebritymusic
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Hi

What you're saying makes sense.

The style is poppy/rock - not at all metal - here's a link to some demos to give you an idea of the feel I'm after (clcik on the Audio button once there) www.sonicbids.com/gilbertandthechicgeeks

I think I'll probably get a Randal MTS setup, and try different modules until I find something I like.

I'm a smaller guy, so I want to find a smaller guitar that feels nice without too much of a sound compromise. I asked on a guitar forum, and they basically said -play a ****ing normal guitar. Hell, I was at a gig the other week, and there were some kids hanging around the stage asking me a million questions. One of them mentioned he was trying to lose weight, and it turned out that all three of them were heavier than me, and they were only 11!!!! So I think I am justified in finding a guitar that I'm comfortable with.

I guess the tone I like is either a nice crunch, not too screamy, or something than moves between clean and a bit of dirt. I like warm tones.

I hope that helps!

Shaun
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Definitely a PRS and the mroe ******* and flamey the quilt top is the better the tone!dfegad
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Telecaster, Stratocaster, SG

You can't go wrong with any of those....Great tones, great looks, and playingwise you've got to struggle a bit. As You should.

Definately not PRS, those are simply H O R R I B L E and overprized. The Neumann M-147's of the guitar world.

A nice guitar that are to rarely seen, and also is seemingly smaller than those other guits- are Les Paul Double cut-aways. They are cheap, too.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

oh come on !!!!!

the gibson les paul!!!!
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher

(Anybody mention a PRS and there will be punches)

20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
Definately not PRS, those are simply H O R R I B L E and overprized. The Neumann M-147's of the guitar world.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think telecasters do one thing very well, but I wouldn't call them versatile
I'm going to have to call a point of order

Telecasters have more body than a strat and less than a Les Paul. That's what makes them versatile. For eg, a strat can get too thin on the bridge pickup for a rythym crunch in alot of overdriven amps like class A 18 watters etc. You can get a nice lead tone on the neck pup similar to a strat. Your only missing pos 2 & 4, but a good bridge position is more important.

Gibsons are great, but very distinctive. I would say Gibsons are left wing, Strats are right wing, and Teles are right down the middle.

I own them all, and use the Tele the least....but if I could only keep one, it would have to be the tele. It covers more bases and I'll go as far as to say this is a fact.

20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

"Fender Telecaster. The workhorse of the music industry. Does all things well."

Hmm, not so sure about that. Even though I`m not a Fender strat fan (even though I own one) I would say you`re better off with a Gibson SG or Les Paul for pop/rock.

Pop/Rock calls for a little dirt at times and I think the Les Paul can give you that and some and you can also play it clean and still get some attitude.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley
"Fender Telecaster. The workhorse of the music industry. Does all things well."

Hmm, not so sure about that. Even though I`m not a Fender strat fan (even though I own one) I would say you`re better off with a Gibson SG or Les Paul for pop/rock.

Pop/Rock calls for a little dirt at times and I think the Les Paul can give you that and some and you can also play it clean and still get some attitude.

Agreed. A tele is just not a good rock guitar. I know I have come across as a tele basher but they just don't cut it in true rock rock/pop, metal, hard rock etc..

They are great for country and if you were in Tom Jones' or Wayne newton's back up band.

A good versitile guitar is like a PRS or some of the old hamer and bc rich models.
These guitars have various stock pickup configs that cover all the bases.
A tele has 3 pickup configurations. Bad, horrible, and totally unusable.

GET OVER IT. TELES ARE NOT ROCK GEAR!

-telebasher
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Agreed. A tele is just not a good rock guitar.

A good versitile guitar is like a PRS or some of the old hamer and bc rich models.
Hamer. BC Rich. Good Lord. Our tastes in guitars don't exactly match.

I guess PRS guitars are decent enough. But they're terribly overpriced (and *completely* uncool, if that matters.)

IMO a good Tele is a wonderful all around guitar, from rock to poppier stuff.

I'm a Gibson man myself and would recommend a Les Paul if you're doing mainly distorted gtrs, but if you're doing a lot of clean sounds as well a Tele is probably an even better match for you.

Forget PRS and all that stuff. Get a Tele or a Les Paul. They work. Try out various models and pick the one you like the best.

Quote:

Keef would disagree. And after all, he pretty much invented rock'n roll, so he should know.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bill
Hamer. BC Rich. Good Lord.

PRS, maybe. But they're terribly overpriced (and *completely* uncool, if that matters.)
Ok, I have to cry foul!

What is *completely* uncool about a PRS? And also what is so overpriced about them?
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006

---- allencollins ---- Absolutely not the case!

Are you saying Tom Morello, Richie Kotzen, Jeff Beck and Rich Robinson don't have rock tones???

Believe me, I have been in front of Rich robinson cranking a tele through a Hiwatt, and it flat out ROCKS!

Listen to my tune "High Again" on my myspace profile. That guitar is a tele.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Agreed. A tele is just not a good rock guitar. I know I have come across as a tele basher but they just don't cut it in true rock rock/pop, metal, hard rock etc..

They are great for country and if you were in Tom Jones' or Wayne newton's back up band.

-telebasher
Tom Morello.
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Quote:
Anything but a fender is a good guitar.
run for your life here he goes again
20th February 2006
Old 20th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:

Go spin a few old Heart albums.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search