Login / Register

What's a good elec gtr for pop/rock?
New Reply
Subscribe
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

I play death metal with an ash tele and I have a LP, SG and ESP, as well. I installed a Seymour Duncan hot rail in the bridge and the guitar sounds brutal tuned down to B!

Teles do rock!
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
FYI Keith barley plays a note these days. I guess you can't call it lip sinking
but there is a guy backstage playing most of his parts.
Keith Barley? Who's that?

Lip sinking? That would be Mick's area....

A guy backstage playing most of his parts? ABSOLUTE BS!
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006

Teles do rock![/QUOTE]

They certainly do! I tune mine to C
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet
This is way off track from answering the original question. I'll agree asking a question like that is sort of like asking for the best bloody mary recipe.

To the original poster....if you're looking for a versatile gtr for smaller hands, look to any of the fender stuff....Teles, Strats, Jaguars, etc. They're all pretty decent in the right hands. Gibson's can be a tad on the heavy side, so the only one's I'd probably suggest looking for there are SG's and LP Jr or Specials. I'm head over heels into the mid-90s Specials and Jrs that they put out. You can spot them by the fact that they have neck binding and a real "Gibson" inlay on the headstock. I've owned, and still own about a half dozen of them and they're all great. On the lower end of the new scale, I'd look for the Mexican Fenders and the "faded" specials from Gibson.
Above all, just play a bunch of them and find one that speaks to you. That's all that matters. Hell, you could play a Danelecto, Steinberger or whatever....just go somewhere that has a lot of guitars and play them. Also, if you do decide on say a Tele...play all that they have. There are really good ones mixed in with so-so guitars. I always say, don't plug them in at first. Just strum a big ol' open "E" and listen to the body. Is it resonating? Can you feel the chord in your stomach? If so, you're getting warmer.....

m
And for smaller, be sure to consider the scale length... fenders are longer, gibsons are a tad shorter, I want to say prs's are right in between those, and the fender mustangs i think are even shorter than gibsons. So a mustang or an sg (really thin and pretty light) might fit the bill, and remember gibson string spacing is a little wider than gibson, so gibson(or gibson/epi depending on your price point) should have a slightly narrower neck...

As far as sound, it's gonna be up to o.p. to find something you like... but there are good suggestions on here.
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

Euhmm... Okay guys, I am pretty new to guitars so honestly, I got about 4 hours experience on them.

But I'm a producer for over 10 years now and I like my Gretsch anniversary on a Fender Deville 2x12 a lot!

I can make it sound bassy, agressive and a bit thinner thanks to the two tone regulators and 2 switches that appear to be some filters or whatever; just to say, that's what I call a versatile guitar.

I felt the Fenders thinner then the Grestch but hey, dunno shit about pedals and effects so maybe there's a trick somewhere to it I'm unaware of today...

Regards
Lawrence

http://top-producers.blogspot.com/

SSL6048E/G
32Ch Prismsound ADA-8 out
G5 Quad, PTHD3 Acell, Waves Platinum, SoundToys,
DUY and then some...
Some outboard: AMS-NEVE, Eve H8000FW,
Lexicon300L etc.

WANTED, Neve1073, 1083,1084!
21st February 2006
Old 21st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. A tele is just not a good rock guitar. I know I have come across as a tele basher but they just don't cut it in true rock rock/pop, metal, hard rock etc..

They are great for country and if you were in Tom Jones' or Wayne newton's back up band.

A good versitile guitar is like a PRS or some of the old hamer and bc rich models.
These guitars have various stock pickup configs that cover all the bases.
A tele has 3 pickup configurations. Bad, horrible, and totally unusable.

GET OVER IT. TELES ARE NOT ROCK GEAR!

-telebasher
Led Zepppelin is not a rock band. Led Zeppelin I is not a rock album.

and i only got over the "fancy top" hypnosis about five years ago and sold my "vintage" 1989 prs. just heard another a couple weeks ago. those things are just not happening. just my opionion tho, the only answer is to play a bunch of guitars.
22nd February 2006
Old 22nd February 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
and remember gibson string spacing is a little wider than gibson
How can that be? A Gibson is a little wider thana Gibson??????????????
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear maniac

Tele.

I've got some friends who love their Gibsons as well, but I don't personally know any working musicians that use a strat. I saw a lot of "rock stars" using strats back in the 90's, but I think that had more to do with a Jimi revival than anything else.

-Jp
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Banned

You guys are so goofy!

#1 a good Tele with a proper p.u. can grind with the best of them
#2 Strats are one of the most versatile GTRs you can buy (you have to know how to use it though)
#3) Les Pauls and most Gibsons are a tad more forgiving and easier to play, but won't give you the tones that a Strat, Tele or a lot of other GTRs will.

Once you put a humbucker on a GTR you are pretty much going to get the thick saturated 'bucker sound. There are variances and nuances, but it is the thicker sound. Consider Eddie VanHalen's GTR... a Warmoth (?) Strat body with a humbucker.
Humbuckers vary themselves, but they never sound like single coils.
On the otherhand, I can make a Strat sound pretty thick, but I have played for over fortythree years, too! My dad had a LP Jr. and an Alamo (Valco) amp when I was in first grade.... it became mine.

I'd say that overall a Strat does come closest to the ideal studio GTR.
Still, I have a LP, a Gretsch Tennessean, a Strat with humbuckers and a Floyd Rose, a Baritone GTR as well as a VERY dialed in Strat.
I play the Strat most often because it fits the bill more often.

Danny Brown
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritymusic
The style is poppy/rock - not at all metal - here's a link to some demos to give you an idea of the feel I'm after (clcik on the Audio button once there) www.sonicbids.com/gilbertandthechicgeeks
Based on that 1st song, I'd say either a Tele or a LP Junior if you want to go a little thicker.

www.audioinstruction.com
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How can that be? A Gibson is a little wider thana Gibson??????????????
HA! I'm stupid. FENDER is a little wider than Gibson, thanks for pointing that out.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1
Here are some of my guitars.
My favorite is my PRS McCarty because you can make it sound like a Les Paul or pull up on the tone control and split the coils for a strat/tele sound.
I have to disagree with ya, here. McCarty's sound nothing like strats to me. Pulling the tone knob doesm't even get you into Strat territory. It just kinda seems to pull out output and add brightness. Try playing ANY Strat tune with your McCarty's coils tapped. It's just not the same. There are great tones to be had, but they aren't Strat OR Tele tones. Not trying to offend or belittle anyone, they just aren't similar tones.

I love PRS. Nothing "uncool" about em. That's like the same mentality of the folks that just plain prejudice. lol Like all high end gear, you need to spend an additional $1000 for a 2% improvement. But IME, the quality is extremely consistent and high. Gibson on the other hand, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good Les Paul, but I don't like the QC on the bound fretboards. Lately, it seems "shoddy" would be an improvement. Completely unacceptable for a $2000+ instrument. I'd rather play a good sounding LP Studio.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgraff
Based on that 1st song, I'd say either a Tele or a LP Junior if you want to go a little thicker.
For your music, I agree with this guy. I hear those guitars and a JCM 900.
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear nut

In my opinion, (try it, and you'll probably find yourself in agreement) most versatile guitars are HSS or HSH style with a splittable bridge P/U, whether the body be strat or tele. You can get em wired in different ways, for example you can have the bridge and neck wired to a position, and get a Tele-ish tone. For a lot of stuff, the bridge humbucker is a necessity, and a neck-bucker can be a luxury.

On Strat's, I LIVE on positions 1,2, and 4. To me the 3 just never sounds right for what I'm trying to do, and 5 is almost always too bright. In general, Les Pauls tend to be too thick for general pop/rock. Not saying there aren't great pop LP tones out there, just saying.

THERE IS NO BEST GUITAR!! Dammit, I love to argue, too, but these are TOOLS for creating music (some might say art). To reiterate, you will not get the same tones, not even pretty similar from a glued-neck mahogany/maple guitar that you will from a single-coil, bolt on, alder/ash guitar. Just not gonna happen.

Amps have different feels to them, but most players tend to dial them all in similarly and sound the same as long as their using the same guitar. IMO, all parts of the equation are important, but #1 is guitar (pickups) and speakers. Speakers sound very different. Cabs make a diifference, too, but there's such a great difference going from celestion blues, to greenbacks, to vintage 30's, and I haven't even left one brand name. Speakers make up a greater part of guitar tone than guitar players want to admit (or pay for).

If it has to be smaller, how small are we talking? You could buy Warmoth parts and make yourelf a Tele with a shorter scale. Same scale as a regular Gibby. If you have to get a smaller guitar, I guess you can find a 3/4 scale guitar, and work it over until it's not a toy anymore (hardware upgrades, maybe neck shaving, electronics, shielding), or just play it and enjoy it as it is.
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear nut

Actually, I agree with you.
I think the PRS is versatile for playing live when you only want to bring one guitar.
I should have typed in Les Paul-like and Strat-like when describing the sounds.
If I want a Tele sound, for recording, I play the Tele.
If I want a Strat sound, I play the G&L Legacy (built while Leo was still alive).
If I want that EVH sound, I play the MusicMan EVH.
If you want "that" sound, just get the real thing.
There is no Variax.

I disagree with you about the Gibson Quality.
I bought my Custom a while back ago, maybe 12 years ago from the Gibson rep. (Gordon?) and Craig Chaquico of Starship fame helped me to pick it out.
I picked up the Standard from the Gibson factory when I was in Nashille last year.
To actually watch those craftsmen build the guitars, mandolins, and acoustics, you can see why they are so expensive.
However, I aked the Gibson factory guy why the quality is better than what I see in GC.
He said, "We keep the good stuff here".
You have to play each guitar and look at the build quality.
I never mail order guitars.
IMHO, if you want a good Gibson, get it in Nashville.
There are so many guitars there that are so awesomely built, but will never be seen in stores like GC.

Another favorite guitar of mine, which is not pictured is my American-Made Hamer Artist. Talk about a quality guitar!
There are a couple of guitar lines that seem to have consistent high quality -
MusicMan and Tom Anderson.
I've never picked up a bad one yet from those lines.

Each guitar has its own personality.
Maybe your hate for PRS has to do with getting a bad one.
I played about 25 PRS' before I picked the one I own.
I think the older PRS's are better then the new ones.
Maybe you played a new one?
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear addict

Anyone had any experience with the Rickenbacker 325 series? I really like the look of them, and I seriously think it would be a perfect size for me to play, especially live.

What do they sound like? I really like the look of the 325c58 Mapleglo

Shaun
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1
I disagree with you about the Gibson Quality.
I bought my Custom a while back ago, maybe 12 years ago from the Gibson rep. (Gordon?) and Craig Chaquico of Starship fame helped me to pick it out.
I picked up the Standard from the Gibson factory when I was in Nashille last year.
To actually watch those craftsmen build the guitars, mandolins, and acoustics, you can see why they are so expensive.
However, I aked the Gibson factory guy why the quality is better than what I see in GC.
He said, "We keep the good stuff here".
You have to play each guitar and look at the build quality.
First, I don't hate PRS by any means. I love my McCarty's, and do agree that there are a many tones in them. I'd say that it is as versatile as a telecaster. Not that it can do what a telecaster does, or sound the same, but it covers as much ground on another continent.

But for the gibson quality? I could never defend something that way. The ones that are for sale that you can see any place you go, i.e. GC, Sam Ash, Daddy's, local shops, whatever. If I play a bunch of LP's, and > 50% (Pretty, but duds, or poor work on bound fretboards, with decent tone) of them are poo with a $$$$ pricetag? You're kidding me! That's part of their advertising. You go in, you pick up some guitars, and if the quality is not there, than you walk home with the impression that they have poor quality control, and be less inclined to keep looking at those guitars. I can understand that you've seen them at their best, but the world at large sees them at whatever quality you put in front of them. Not everyone goes to the factory or Nashville to pick up a guitar(from what you say, they probably should ), but most of them will pick up a Paul occasionally at a local shop. After the luxury of owning a "lifestyle" product like a Gibson wears off, if the quality isn't there, you're left with a poor instrument.

Again, no disrespect to you, or folks who are actually putting forth great efforts at the Gibson plant, but they really are not putting their "best foot forward" by stocking music stores with these instruments.
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritymusic
Can you get slightly smaller scaled versions of tele's?

Shaun
If Suzanna Hoffs can play a full scale guitar...then I think you can too.

Best guitar for pop? Are you serious? I think the song will dictate if it's pop or not, not the guitar.

J.
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Guru

I get my guitars "factory-tuned" like Joe Pass. Oh, I'm sorry, WHAT was the question, again?

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear Guru

And don't forget you can get the Guild Brian May guitar if you want that Queen sound. Spot on!

I had one once. Pretty much a one trick pony, though. And quite expensive.

A girl comes towards you, you once used to know
You reach out your hand, but you're all alone

25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxnsteel

But for the gibson quality? I could never defend something that way. The ones that are for sale that you can see any place you go, i.e. GC, Sam Ash, Daddy's, local shops, whatever. If I play a bunch of LP's, and > 50% (Pretty, but duds, or poor work on bound fretboards, with decent tone) of them are poo with a $$$$ pricetag? You're kidding me! That's part of their advertising. You go in, you pick up some guitars, and if the quality is not there, than you walk home with the impression that they have poor quality control, and be less inclined to keep looking at those guitars. .

I see your point now and agree with you. That's the reason I bought my Standard in Nashville. I saw the crap they sell at GC and couldn't believe those were Gibsons. Some look like were built in India! (No offense to Indians, I'm really making reference to brands like Lotus that were made in India)
The same goes for G&L. After Leo died and G&L was sold, the new G&L stuff went downhill .
I guess that's why the quality stuff is now called "Custom Shop".
My point was simply that they do make quality stuff, but you just have to hunt for the good ones.
The new regular PRS are no longer hand made. You have to buy their " Reserve Stock" models to get a good quality one. Their made in Korea SE models are crap.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
A tele is just not a good rock guitar. I know I have come across as a tele basher but they just don't cut it in true rock rock/pop, metal, hard rock etc..
Uh. ALL of Zeppelin I and some of II where recorded with a Tele (and the solo to Stairway to Heaven, which is my favorite part of that bloated beast). Not good for hard rock? You've got to be kidding. Recoriding is alot about how things set in a mix and not how they sound on their own. Teles seem to have a natural EQ curve which fits beautifully in a mix. I've had several occasions recording guitar from a Les Paul that sounded great in the room, but got lost in the mix.

My thought for one guitar-get the Tele (the Strat just doesn't cut hard enough). But it's cool to have as many as possible lying around, as they'll all come in hand sometime or another.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear addict

The tele (actually ASAT) gets more use than the other two combined. Hence the excessive fingerprints.

25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcballs
I respectfully disagree. I think telecasters do one thing very well, but I wouldn't call them versatile. I think you'd be better off with a Strat. But even then, you are limited. Ideally, you'd get both a Strat and a Les Paul... two drastically different sounds, and you really can't copy one with the other IMO.

McBalls
+1 Strat's are the most versatile guitars around. I have EMG pickups in mine and the rrnage of tones I can get is amazing...
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
And don't forget you can get the Guild Brian May guitar if you want that Queen sound. Spot on!

I had one once. Pretty much a one trick pony, though. And quite expensive.

That thing sure has a lot of pu's and switches for a one trick pony, though.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Gear Head

you must the same guy who was bashing fender amps. what's wrong, did fender not hire you or something — good thing they didn't.

to the original poster - i think tele's are great. espcially pre-79 (the later 70s models are pretty heavy, but have TON of sustain). just be prepared for potential noise issues withg the stock single coils.

also, there are versions made with humbuckers, so you can look into those for potentially even more versatility.

just to start, prince, led zep, stones, slowdive, heart, elastica, belle and sebastian, pixies, RATM, blur, mudhoney, pearl jam, nofx, albert collins (cough), etc. all use or have used teles - it's very versatile.

if you're looking for a guitar, i'd **generally** avoid buying anything made since the mid 80s. generally speaking, the make quality of fenders, gibsons, gretsch, guilds, etc. have not improved, esp. given shortages in wood, etc. just be careful of les pauls and sgs pre-70 and check the neck joint.

for shorter scale, mustangs, musicmasters, hagstroms, melody makers have shorter necks i believe. i'd avoid a prs or a bc rich.

personally, i prefer semi-hollowbodies and p90 equipped guitars (or both) for recording and gigging.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

If we are talking about versatility, from my experience I would go for something with P90's.

I have a Gordon Smith GS2 in TV Yellow with 2 P90's and a Bigsby fitted. It is actually exactly the same as the Les Paul Junior Borau posted earlier, but with a Bigsby.

Now, if I ever had to use ONLY ONE guitar for a gig, it would be the Gordon Smith. The P90's can clean up to give you any clean tone you need and will also rock when using high gain.

Failing that, a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge covers most bases...
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

i have played and owned various PRS (old, new, private sock, overseas. etc). don't bother.
generic eye candy at best.

just had a private stock one in here 1 month ago. absolutely unremarkable in every way. cept the top was fancy.

used guitar shop with a large selection of fender, gibson, G+L....you will find something great for a fraction of the price of a PRS. the only reason i have a personal thing with these guitars is that the price/performance ratio is SO out of wack.
25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

Kats,

Is that a 1974X?

How is it? (I'm considering scaling down my 1987x/1960TV to one of those puppies...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I'm going to have to call a point of order

Telecasters have more body than a strat and less than a Les Paul. That's what makes them versatile. For eg, a strat can get too thin on the bridge pickup for a rythym crunch in alot of overdriven amps like class A 18 watters etc. You can get a nice lead tone on the neck pup similar to a strat. Your only missing pos 2 & 4, but a good bridge position is more important.

Gibsons are great, but very distinctive. I would say Gibsons are left wing, Strats are right wing, and Teles are right down the middle.

I own them all, and use the Tele the least....but if I could only keep one, it would have to be the tele. It covers more bases and I'll go as far as to say this is a fact.

25th February 2006
Old 25th February 2006

To me you need both a tele and a paul. Tele's don't always cut it for rhythm tracks, to thin and bright.

This yellow paul is a $600 Special that sounds and plays better then my Standards

Last edited by James Lugo; 25th February 2006 at 08:37 PM..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search