Selling Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade
New Reply
Subscribe
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Selling Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade

I am having the most impossible time getting in touch with a rep from Avid, and am trying to find out what the exact process is for properly selling my PT 9 Crossgrade to someone. I was wondering if anyone happens to know the exact process and would be willing to share that info with me. I'd greatly appreciate it!
"I can tell you what's gonna happen when you patch it in for the first time and squeeze your voice into submission: you're gonna cuss, then a split second later you're gonna laugh. A few seconds after that, you'll wonder out loud wtf took you so long. Then you'll get back to it, and within days you will begin to think about which compressor to get next, and how long it'll take to scrounge up another $1500" - UBK
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to AstralPStudios
Are you having an issue setting it up or something? Can't understand why anyone would want to get rid of PT9...If you bought it from Sweetwater, contact them instead.

Label quality mix engineer/A&R | Like APS on FB | APS on Twitter | Audioblog
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Is it just the software? or .?? the process is a little different.

jeff
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralPStudios View Post
Are you having an issue setting it up or something? Can't understand why anyone would want to get rid of PT9...If you bought it from Sweetwater, contact them instead.
It's just way more than I need, as I am not doing any mixing, mastering, or multi-tracking. I also don't dig that I can't export in mp3 format, upgrades will cost me a lot more than Logic Express updates and I am unable to get an Avid rep on the phone. I am only recording vocals, so Logic Express will be perfectly fine for my needs. I originally bought Pro Tools because my producer in Denver uses it and said it would make file transfer a lot easier. I can just export wav files in Logic Express, so there is no reason to have such an expensive software program, when Logic Express upgrades are $99, and I can move to Logic Studio at any time as well. I did buy it from Sweetwater, but it's way past the allotted return period. I wish!
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
Is it just the software? or .?? the process is a little different.

jeff
Yeah, just the software. It seems really difficult to find jnstructions on how to sell and transfer the software properly.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

you'll regret it.
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
you'll regret it.
Why, because you would? Haha.

I'd seriously appreciate it if we could stay on topic in this thread. There is little to no information on the web pertaining to my issue, so I really would like this to be a thread that can potentially help others having the same issue. Opinions on PT vs Logic are already in tons of threads. Not needed here whatsoever. Thanks in advance good people.

Last edited by hereticskeptic; 19th March 2011 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: typo
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Yeah, just the software. It seems really difficult to find jnstructions on how to sell and transfer the software properly.
It's just an iLok transfer of the license. Pretty painless.. you'll have to
have a transfer fee to PACE .. but it's not much.

jeff
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Why, because you would? Haha.

I'd seriously appreciate it if we could stay on topic in this thread. There is little to no information on the web pertaining to my issue, so I really would like this to be a thread that can potentially help others having the same issue. Opinions on PT vs Logic are already in tons of threads. Not needed here whatsoever. Thanks in advance good people.
Stand down soldier, I was only cracking a whimsical. Also, I didn't even mention another DAW, so... dfegad
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
you'll regret it.
Quote:
It's just an iLok transfer of the license. Pretty painless.. you'll have to
have a transfer fee to PACE .. but it's not much.

jeff
Oh okay. I guess I'm just worried about a buyer having trouble getting updates and all, since the software has been registered in name. Does that not matter?

As far as the ilok transfer, can it be transferred to another user's ilok, or am I supposed to transfer it to a new ilok and send it to the buyer?
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stand down soldier, I was only cracking a whimsical. Also, I didn't even mention another DAW, so... dfegad
Pardon if you were joking. I'll say no more though. I really do want to keep this thread on topic. That's all.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh okay. I guess I'm just worried about a buyer having trouble getting updates and all, since the software has been registered in name. Does that not matter?

As far as the ilok transfer, can it be transferred to another user's ilok, or am I supposed to transfer it to a new ilok and send it to the buyer?
You can also fill out a transfer of ownership form from Digi I think things
are a little different with PT9 .. because you used to only be allowed
to transfer the software with the hardware .. that's changed with the
iLok and open hardware situation (of PT9).

If the other user has an iLok account, you just transfer the license
to them. You can transfer the whole iLok .. but it's more expensive.

jeff
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can also fill out a transfer of ownership form from Digi I think things
are a little different with PT9 .. because you used to only be allowed
to transfer the software with the hardware .. that's changed with the
iLok and open hardware situation (of PT9).

If the other user has an iLok account, you just transfer the license
to them. You can transfer the whole iLok .. but it's more expensive.

jeff
See, that's what I'm having a difficult time figuring out, because Avid's website is pretty unclear on whether you must pay to transfer ownership. Will a transfer of ownership be necessary for the buyer to update/upgrade the software, or is the transfer more of a technical thing that doesn't really matter a ton?
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

goddamn stupid ilok b.s. - the only reason I'm hesitant to upgrade is because of it. Buying used becomes a greater pita than it should be. I mean transfer fees? honestly...
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

Pro Tools is cool. I'm actually the most familiar with it, but I'm not even using it right now. There are a lot of reasons one might use other DAW's. I'm not not sure when and if I'll upgrade to Pro Tools 9. Is there a time limit for the cross grade?
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

You're right .. doesn't look like they've updated their transfer of ownership policy yet..

It's still the old one.. you can certainly transfer the iLok asset .. there's
no problem with that .. whether they'll be able to get the updates isn't
clear.

from the website:

Pro Tools License

The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.

The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system. If the current software and authorizations were not included, the buyer must purchase a Pro Tools software upgrade from the Store or an Authorized Avid Reseller. All purchased Pro Tools upgrades are complete installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools or registration, either to purchase or install the Pro Tools upgrades.

Registration of Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable

Avid will not transfer product registration for used plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner. Transfer of iLok authorizations by buyers and sellers can be done at iLok USB key - iLok.com. Transfer of iLok licenses are between the individual parties. Avid will only register software purchased by the original owner, and only when purchased from an Authorized Avid Reseller.

Authorized US Avid Resellers do not sell Avid products on eBay.com or other online auction sites in the US. If you purchase a Avid product from an online auction site, you may be purchasing from someone other than an Authorized Avid Reseller, and your software product may not be registered.
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
goddamn stupid ilok b.s. - the only reason I'm hesitant to upgrade is because of it. Buying used becomes a greater pita than it should be. I mean transfer fees? honestly...
Man, seriously! I can't wait to get out of pro tools and ditch a lot of the hassle.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
See, that's what I'm having a difficult time figuring out, because Avid's website is pretty unclear on whether you must pay to transfer ownership. Will a transfer of ownership be necessary for the buyer to update/upgrade the software, or is the transfer more of a technical thing that doesn't really matter a ton?
Unless it's changed since Pro Tools 9 and "Avis" you'll probably want to transfer. I would call Avid directly for the info.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Pro Tools is cool. I'm actually the most familiar with it, but I'm not even using it right now. There are a lot of reasons one might use other DAW's. I'm not not sure when and if I'll upgrade to Pro Tools 9. Is there a time limit for the cross grade?
I don't believe so .. the PT 8 to PT 9 upgrade price has been the
same since they announced it.

jeff
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, seriously! I can't wait to get out of pro tools and ditch a lot of the hassle.
Well .. at least it took 17 posts before we got to this...

jeff
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

I like it for editing, though it's useless for me for mixing because of the software I use and am unwilling to give up!
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

If you find positive news regarding transfering all the future update rights etc I would be interested in doing a deal.
Soundtoys Speed HD £65
Studiomaster 6-2-1 - offers?
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right .. doesn't look like they've updated their transfer of ownership policy yet..

It's still the old one.. you can certainly transfer the iLok asset .. there's
no problem with that .. whether they'll be able to get the updates isn't
clear.

from the website:

Pro Tools License

The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.

The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system. If the current software and authorizations were not included, the buyer must purchase a Pro Tools software upgrade from the Store or an Authorized Avid Reseller. All purchased Pro Tools upgrades are complete installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools or registration, either to purchase or install the Pro Tools upgrades.

Registration of Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable

Avid will not transfer product registration for used plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner. Transfer of iLok authorizations by buyers and sellers can be done at iLok USB key - iLok.com. Transfer of iLok licenses are between the individual parties. Avid will only register software purchased by the original owner, and only when purchased from an Authorized Avid Reseller.

Authorized US Avid Resellers do not sell Avid products on eBay.com or other online auction sites in the US. If you purchase a Avid product from an online auction site, you may be purchasing from someone other than an Authorized Avid Reseller, and your software product may not be registered.
It seems like once the license is transferred, the buyer may be fine as far as updates and upgrades are concerned. I may be wrong though. Does the buyer need the serial number from the PT 8LE hardware, or a code from PT 9 (for an upgrade to 10, for example)?
hereticskeptic
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

I logged into my Avid account to look at my registered products, and came to what may be a startling realization. After clicking the link to my registered products, Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade was listed, but not under my name. Instead, it appears as though it is listed only under my ilok user account. It even informs me to go to ilok.com if I want to retrieve my license. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that since Pro Tools 9 is not attached to digidesign/avid hardware, transfer of the ilok license alone is all that is necessary for the buyer of your PT 9 copy to be able to get updates and future paid upgrades.

The more I think about it, this makes sense. When software was attached to hardware, you needed the previous hardware serial number in order to upgrade. Now that PT 9 is it's own product and requires ilok registration, you should only need proof of owning the ilok license in order for Avid to know you are eligible to use any future upgrades. When I registered the PT 9 Crossgrade via the Avid website, it was really only done by registering the license on ilok. Again, I could be wrong, but it seems that the ilok license itself serves as the owner's registration. There is no serial number attached to PT 9, only the ilok license/registration. For future upgrades, why would they require a serial number, when a buyer does not need a serial number to install PT 9? Makes sense to me, and would be great news for sellers and buyers of PT 9.

Thoughts?
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011

...only that I'm slightly confused about the MP3 thing.....
hereticskeptic
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
...only that I'm slightly confused about the MP3 thing.....
Haha. Do you mean the need to purchase the ability to export in mp3 format?
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to AstralPStudios
Quote:
It's just way more than I need, as I am not doing any mixing, mastering, or multi-tracking. I also don't dig that I can't export in mp3 format, upgrades will cost me a lot more than Logic Express updates and I am unable to get an Avid rep on the phone. I am only recording vocals, so Logic Express will be perfectly fine for my needs. I originally bought Pro Tools because my producer in Denver uses it and said it would make file transfer a lot easier. I can just export wav files in Logic Express, so there is no reason to have such an expensive software program, when Logic Express upgrades are $99, and I can move to Logic Studio at any time as well. I did buy it from Sweetwater, but it's way past the allotted return period. I wish!
Waitaminnut! You so totally CAN export to MP3 as the MP3 option is installed WITH PT9!

Trust me stick with PT9 even if it's too much if your producer uses it, it
will just make things 10x easier for both of you really.

edit for proof:
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011

I thought it was now part of 9, as in no need to purchase (same for OMF)? Or am I mistaken..?
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

The serial number is for the hardware .. they used to have a
"registration code" before the iLok.

When I bought PT9, they asked for my iLok ID . and the serial
number of my hardware .. but that was only for the X-grade to

AFAIK, after they deposit the license in the iLok account ..it's all
iLok from then on .. no serial numbers required.

jeff
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha. Do you mean the need to purchase the ability to export in mp3 format?
Used to .. it was annoying.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search