Cheapest US city for buying used gear?
Old 19th March 2011
  #1
Banned
 

Thread Starter
Cheapest US city for buying used gear?

Sorry, if question is a little bit out of topic, - I would like to ask to Americans - is any difference for prices to search used music gear over net between USA cities and states? Are any regions and coasts more expensive or cheaper, or it is very individually?

Thanks in advance!







Soviet Synths | Facebook
Old 19th March 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
uncle muscles's Avatar
 

Cheapest US city for buying used gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorysounds
Sorry, if question is a little bit out of topic, - I would like to ask to Americans - is any difference for prices to search used music gear over net between USA cities and states? Are any regions and coasts more expensive or cheaper, or it is very individually?

Thanks in advance!







Soviet Synths | Facebook
Good question!
Old 19th March 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 

look at craigslist and find out yourself...

any place with failing studios or a flooded market can have some amazing finds. I've had great luck in Memphis and the LA selection is excellent
Old 19th March 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

LA NYC and Nashville may be the largest markets for used gear, but that also means there is both an informed buyer and seller base, so while there are bargains they are fewer and fewer. Smaller markets have some good prices, but more and more stuff is marketed nationally so I'll say no market is real bargain.
Old 19th March 2011
  #5
|-|
Lives for gear
 
|-|'s Avatar
 

Detroit

Not much gear to be had, but this is a city who's harder than nails.

For the price some of you buy hi end gear at, you could buy an entire property with a house.

You'll have to hunt though
Old 19th March 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
FreshSkweez's Avatar
 

At this point it's gotta be Detroit.


Sorry for my dark sense of humor, I didn't mean to be insensitive...
Old 19th March 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I would imagine that Ebay has pretty much leveled the playing field in the States, but things may be slightly cheaper down south compared to the big coastal cities and Chicago.
Old 19th March 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Sigma's Avatar
 

mexico city
Old 19th March 2011
  #9
Gear maniac
 
KickDrum's Avatar
 

Not Seattle. Haha. Used gear seems over-priced here in general (exceptions of course). I had heard good things about Philadelphia and so I looked on their craigslist and the rumors were true.
Old 19th March 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDrum View Post
Not Seattle. Haha. Used gear seems over-priced here in general (exceptions of course). I had heard good things about Philadelphia and so I looked on their craigslist and the rumors were true.
Old 20th March 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Detroit

Not much gear to be had, but this is a city who's harder than nails.

For the price some of you buy hi end gear at, you could buy an entire property with a house.

You'll have to hunt though
Isn't Vintage King in the Detroit Area ?

I'd say if they are it's not the cheap market!
Old 20th March 2011
  #12
Gear nut
 
solveforq's Avatar
 

I've hit a couple great deals in Seattle. Could have been isolated incidents?
Old 20th March 2011
  #13
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
I would imagine that Ebay has pretty much leveled the playing field in the States, but things may be slightly cheaper down south compared to the big coastal cities and Chicago.
ebay was my answer too.
Old 20th March 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
fastlanestoner's Avatar
 

Camden, nj
Old 20th March 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Im from Detroit, went to school in Nashville and now live in LA. I check Craigslist around the country every day for certain items to price compare to the local LA prices... it seems to me that Nashville and Seattle have the lowest overall prices on used gear for sale. LA certainly is not the lowest.... neither is Detroit. Often deals can be found in remote areas of KS or places like Minnesota where it is probably too cold to shop gear so the lower prices make them sell faster.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
aflon-telom / So much gear, so little time!
60
nbenford / So much gear, so little time!
13
666 / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
3
Mr Ted / High end
4
bojan_1 / So much gear, so little time!
31

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.