Sennheiser MK4 vs AT4040 vs Bluebird
New Reply
Subscribe
XCorrupt
18th March 2011
Old 18th March 2011
Gear interested

Sennheiser MK4 vs AT4040 vs Bluebird

Hey guys, I need some help here with choosing a mic. I am looking for a mic that i can record vocals and acoustic guitar with lately. Ive been looking at these three mics, the MK4, AT4040, and the bluebird and couldnt decide between them. I know that the MK4 just recently came out, so has anyone been able to try it out yet? Does anyone know how it compares with the AT404 or bluebird?

Thanks!
XCorrupt
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear interested

bump. anyone?
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear addict

do a search for the mk4. I saw someone post a sample on here not too long ago.
XCorrupt
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Gear interested

yeah i saw that too before, but does anyone know how it compares with the bluebird or at4040? and would anyone recommend that over the bluebird/at4040?
17th April 2011
Old 17th April 2011
Gear interested

From looking at the frequency response and all the samples of them out of all 3 mics id say my choice would be the sennheiser MK4 because it has a better body and capsule and a smooother sound and response....the at4040 & bluebird have major bumps or cuts in frequencies not needed in vocals....while the MK4's smoothness can comply with vocals great and mostly any source.....some people say its too bright in the high end but i DISAGREE !!!!.....FOR EXAMPLE : the RODE NT2A is $100 more and MUCH BRIGHTER & SIBILLANT!!!! I think im going to pick the MK4 UP immediately !
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Head

We A/B d the 4040 and the senny and the mk4 walked all over the 4040. We really like the mk4, dubbbed "the chocolate" mmmmmmmmmmmm
3rd June 2011
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear interested

Bump. Does anybody have the Mk4 and the AT4040 to actually compare them with some samples? I would like to hear them on speech.
3rd June 2011
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear addict

-SM57/MD421/AT4040/AT2020/Blue Snowball
-iMac 27" i7
-Well Treated Room
-etc...
3rd June 2011
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear interested

Thank you Joe!

Anyone with spoken word (not broadcast) AT4040 or/vs MK4?
3rd June 2011
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino loss View Post
Thank you Joe!

Anyone with spoken word (not broadcast) AT4040 or/vs MK4?
I don't have the clip handy, but I recently tracked an actor doing dialogue for an animated film audition. We used the Blue Bluebird into a UA LA610 and the results were top notch.
3rd June 2011
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear addict

6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear interested

Sennheiser Mk4 Vs Akg C214

Which mic is better?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

The Bluebird can work great on acoustic guitar if you get the placement right. I'd inquire at shops in your area to see if you could demo the MK4 before you buy. Likewise, the 4040 works great with some voices, less so for others. Voice on the Bluebird is hit and miss. Getting a little off axis is the key for me. The sweet spot is on the small side.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
quick summary which is subjective but I think it gives an idea of what to expect:

bluebird. very nice. not too middy or uber present, more in the bass and treble coming out. can put vocals or anything slightly back in the mix, but also can sound great on the right vocal in a very processed sounding or produced sounding mix. traditionally not a lead vocal mic, but certainly can be made to work for that.

4040. very nice (See a trend here)? studio standard. there are studios that put a 4040 in front of almost everyone singing. imho all, and I mean ALL, audio technica large diaphram condensors sound almost identical. Sorry, but the differences between AT mics are very subtle. All are pretty darn good, but they all are imho a little weak in the bass (as are a ton of other LDC mics, so it's just an observation, not a complaint).

mk4. capable of being very nice. warmest of all three in the bass imho. sounds most like a high quality vocal mic of the three imho, however it also can sometimes have something in the high frequencies that just doesn't work on some singers. I think maybe it's presence peak is just a little too strongly on a certain set of frequencies or something like that. But it's quite amazing on the right singer. Not as versatile as either of the other two. However I prefer it to either of the other two since I already have mics similar to both of the above as well so am covered (m179 which is very similar to at4040 and several scooped sounding mics like the bluebird).

cheers
Don
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear maniac

6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
imho all, and I mean ALL, audio technica large diaphram condensors sound almost identical. Sorry, but the differences between AT mics are very subtle. All are pretty darn good, but they all are imho a little weak in the bass (as are a ton of other LDC mics, so it's just an observation, not a complaint).
Don
I own a 4033, 4050, and 4060. I used to own a 4047. IMO, these mics all have a family character, but they have some major differences as well. And I totally disagree about the comment on bass response.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

In have the 4040 here and used to have a Blue Bluebird. The Bluebird was the harshest sounding LDC I've tried!
The 4040 is a really nice mic though and sounds quite different to the AT4047! I've used the 4040 on a vocalist where on a certain song it was clearly the best mic for that song but used it on a different song with the same vocalist and found it was totally the wrong mic.

You really should try the mics out first as they will sound so different on different voices.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Getting back to the bass response in 40xx series mics, it's actually quite good. I've had mics that are light in this area (like the TLM102) and would never put the AT's in that category. They're very "dense" sounding...all of them. And they all have very strong mids (which makes them great for cutting through a mix). They're also very responsive to proximity so you can get them to sound as thick as you like. I did a shootout between my 4060 and sm7b last week, and the bass was every bit as present in the 4060 as it was in the sm7b.
I would love to hear the 4040, since it's the only one of the bunch I haven't had my hands on
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

You really should try the mics out first as they will sound so different on different voices.
Totally agree.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I own a 4033, 4050, and 4060. I used to own a 4047. IMO, these mics all have a family character, but they have some major differences as well. And I totally disagree about the comment on bass response.
I did say that the bass response thing is common with a lot of LDC designs. I didn't mean it's not there, I just mean it's a db or two lower than flat. true fact ,and true of many other mics as well from other brands, and not a negative as I already pointed out, not a criticism at all.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, I was pointing the differences between the 3 mics he's asking about. bluntly, mk4 can have a harsh presence peak but has a much sexier low end than many other LDCs available in it's price range. the 4040 is much more neutral and versatile than the mk4 but doesn't have the nice low end I like about my mk4. I don't own a 4040 any longer but used to work with several on a nightly basis. and the bluebird is a great mic, not nasty or harsh, but it is slightly scooped sounding. comments that any one of these mics has something truly bad in it's sound are wildly inaccurate - there are shootouts all over GS showing how good every one of these mics sounds. check out the 103 versus mk4 shootout for example.

just an observation, and yes it's subjective. 2db less bass than many of the mics I prefer doesn't mean they lack bass, but it is less bass by comparison.

anyhow, yes the family character is very strong between all of those mics compared to the difference between blue mics, the family difference between akg mics, the family difference between neumann mics. just for example ,and imho and all that :-)

at LDC mics DO bring things forward in the mix a little bit, they do flatter presence frequencies a speck, while not missing the bass but having it as a veyr slightly lower level than the presence area. That is a long winded detailed description of what I think I summarized in my earlier post.
cheers
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Jai guru deva om

Every mic you're asking about, and others mentioned here are all referenced on drums / ac gtr / el gtr / m vox in our Clipalator. I would strongly suggest a listen first if considering that MK4........

War

6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

I suppose a reference point should be put on my statement about the at series being slightly light in the bass. My vocal mic of choice for mellower music and male vocals these days is a lauten clarion. definitely a mic with lots of bass output. And most LDC mics are weak in bass output by comparison...

cheers
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I suppose a reference point should be put on my statement about the at series being slightly light in the bass. My vocal mic of choice for mellower music and male vocals these days is a lauten clarion. definitely a mic with lots of bass output. And most LDC mics are weak in bass output by comparison...

cheers
I bet it's a very nice mic!
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I bet it's a very nice mic!
oh it is.... I love it! I own a blue kiwi as well which is the polar opposite, relatively thin but still with great pop vocal sound to it, and the two are so different from anything in the budget categories that I adore them both and use them all the time, the lauten and blue.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search