Login / Register

New MR816x interface setup options
New Reply
Subscribe
samth3mancgp
17th March 2011
Old 17th March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to samth3mancgp Send a message via Skype™ to samth3mancgp
New MR816x interface setup options

I just ordered a Steinberg MR816x from NovaMusik. (never bought from them before, just shopped there because they had B-stock Steinberg units for $559.99 which seemed like an awesome deal )

I am trying to re-think my setup a bit with this new purchase.

I am upgrading from an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O that I still have and will probably use as a control surface. I have spent the last two years building up a decent analog front end, mostly mics, but some pres too. I felt that the ProjectMix was giving me a good control surface, but was lacking as an interface. Hopefully the MR816 will be a noticeable step up from it!

In addition to that I have a Presonus Digimax D8 that I will probably use with the ADAT inputs on the MR816. I have a Seventh Circle rack with two T15s, but will also have 2 N72, and 2 A12s come this summer. I am wondering if I should run the SCA pres through the MR816 or the Digimax? The MR816 A/D conversion would probably be a stronger link in the signal chain than the Digimax. An example of a signal chain would be something like: U87>SCA N72>MR816x>ProTools for vocals. Recording real instruments, micing cabs, and capturing big vocals are things I am trying to improve on. There are tons of people in my area that record with a Line 6 pod, Drumagog, and a 2ch interface with an MXL mic. I'm trying to offer more unique recordings, appeal to more genres, and offer the ability to track live (thus saving time and money).

I am also excited to finally have more than the 4 outputs on the Pmix.. I monitor with ADAM A7s, KRK Rokit 8s, and also feed a headphone amp/stereo speakers for reality checks. The Pmix never allowed me to have the capability for so many monitoring options. Maybe something like the Presonus Monitor station will suit me well to manage monitoring? Does it noticeably color the sound the way the Mackie Big Knob is said to? A monitor controller would also leave lots of free outputs on the MR816 to create some hardware inserts for some of the interesting outboard effects I would like to try! I've got some unique sounding outboard EQ, as well as some old digital reverb effects.

Besides the few questions I asked are there any other suggestions? Caveats? Experiences? Advice? I'm Looking forward to making some great music with local bands this summer!
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

you know, im thinking about getting a MR816x interface soon.

i have the presonus digimax D8 as well....

i have never used ADAT before...so i have a question....

if use ADAT to connect the D8 to the MR816, do i need to use the word clock? or just connect an ADAT cable from the D8 to the 816 and thats it?

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search