Old 10th February 2006
Gear addict

akg d190

useful for any thing?

i did a search and theres not a lot mentioned about them
11th February 2006
Old 11th February 2006
Gear nut

They're great on things like congas, bongos, timbales and the like. Kind of like the Beyer M201. They were originally made as mics for reporters interviewing people on camera.
11th February 2006
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltersoton
useful for any thing?

i did a search and theres not a lot mentioned about them
Had one ripped off from me at a live gig about 20 years ago.
The thief must not have known a lot about mics.
I never missed it ever

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
11th February 2006
Old 11th February 2006
Gear addict

I used a d190 on a really low tuned snare for this session once. Sounded like the snare sound off of the old Al Green records, mind you it was going through a tube pre to tape. It has its place. A mic doesn't have to be hifi to be useful.
17th February 2008
Old 17th February 2008
Gear addict

bump
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear maniac

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm posting this here.

I've been using my AKG D119E mic for kick! I capture a big '70s style sound, that's also easy to mix and effect. I put it inside, 7 inches from the beater point.

It's one of my tricks. If you've got the mic, check it out!
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear maniac

We had one years and years ago (me and my 'band' from back in the days) when we were kids.. We lost it somehow at the end.. I never got upset about that.. So if I didn't upset back then - we only had this mic and sure sm58... I don't know what I could think of it now
17th July 2012
Old 17th July 2012
Gear interested

About a year ago I had to record a full band for a TV show with the gear they had available in that local TV station. It was four D190s and four C460s and just four input channels. I obviously went for the 460s pack but one was dead, so I had to use a D190. Given the chance and the loooooong wait until the TV team was ready to start, I experimented a bit with them.

The D190 was intended as an affordable multipurpose mic but mainly intended for reporters and it was used a lot for this particular purpose in the past.

For vocals it's amazingly noisy if hand held. It picks everything from its body. Better put it in a good suspension. Even if set in a clip it picks any vibration from the stand worse than most condensers. It's extremely sensitive to handling noises. Crazy!

Placed on-axis it's extremely sensitive to plosives. Expect a damn big bunch of pops in your vocal track. This is biggest pop catcher mic I ever used. Truly unusable for this duty. Off-axis it behaves better. It has a very low rejection and coloration so it's good for reporters having the mics placed like a feet away (or so) off the speaker mouth and usually pointing to anywhere else. Think of that typical scene of a reporters crowd around an elusive guy trying to runaway from the mob. A very good mic for that purpose. You'll get the speech flawlessly.

It's said it works good for percussions. So I tried it that way too. It's somewhat in-between an SM57 and a M201. It sounds clearer and more open and upfront than a 201 and not as harsh or piercing as a 57 can be. The bottom end is tight and nice. 57s do it duller of flabbier in the low end register. IMO a good drum mic. It's very small and easy to setup almost anywhere even in a very crowded drum kit, but keep in mind the high noise picking up tendencies. It may need a suspension. Check for low end bursts before tracking your drums.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

I got a D190 in 1973 when I started playing in bands- my Dad knew the distributor and got one cheap. I used it on vocals for about 8 years and then went for a newer AKG dynamic. I sometimes used the 190 for snare which it did nicely, but recently I pulled the mic out of retirement and tried it out, but dropped it on its head and it lost all bottom end, so I need a new capsule one of these days!
30th May 2013
Old 30th May 2013
Gear nut

I'm in melbourne and looking for a replacement capsule for a D190E. Have you had any luck?
I don't own the mic personally, the theatre I work for does.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search