Best headphones for mixing for around £100?
hemmick reef
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Best headphones for mixing for around £100?

I need to get some headphones to help me with mixing in my home studio as my room monitoring isn't great.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

Ditto! I just posted a similar thread here!

I've since seen a few good reviews for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Would anyone else recommend these?

I'm currently mixing on a £30 pair of AKG K66's, sound great till i listen back on my ipod & Senheisser MX95's The higher frequencies make my ears bleed!
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

Audio Technica ATH M50. Ask anyone. Best cans there are. I have them and love them.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Honestly man, I'd say the best are the ones that you know, are comfortable with, and that work for you...no joke. With that said, it probably doesn't really help you...so....

I have a pair of AKG K141 studio headphones that I check my mixes on, and also like to monitor with when adding reverbs and things to start. They aren't the "best" but I know what music sounds like through them...so then I just make my mixes sound close to reference mixes on them. Between my Focals (main monitors), computer monitoring system with a sub, home stereo system, 2nd pair of Roland monitors, headphones, then the car...I can usually get the mix sounding pretty decent everywhere. Oh, but my room is pretty well treated, which is super great!!!

So really, the best advice may be to hold off on the headphones, and treat your room a little.
hemmick reef
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies.
I'll check out the headphones mentioned - all of them would be an improvement over my Beyerdynamic DT231's.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
Audio Technica ATH M50. Ask anyone. Best cans there are. I have them and love them.
+1thumbsup
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear addict

Also check out the Beyer DT990's. Awfully comfy too, important if you're mixing for a long time. Open back is nice. Quite a lot of highs, which means your mixes shouldn't be overly bright.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

What's best for mixing, closed or open back?

My mixes do suffer from being overly bright... so the Beyers sound appealing.
I think thats the problem im having with my cheap AKGs, they make my mixes sound nice and bassy as there's very little highs on them so i end up over compensating for this and over brighten everything.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search