Condenser Mic Identification (Metallica)
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemming R
Hi again.

I also found some pictures of the amp rack I will post later.

SEEEE U
Flemming, thanks so much for posting! Looking forward to your other notes and pics...it's greatly appreciated! I'm sure Michael Wagener can help with the posting of pics and clarity of details.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe
Also, would you say that most who use the SM7 for vocals use a mic pre? I know it's a dynamic so it would not be necessary but still could be beneficial.
I know the thread has moved beyond this, but I thought it would be useful to clear up the slight misconception. All microphones (condenser, dynamic, etc.) require a mic preamp when recording. Condenser microphones require phantom power while dynamic mics do not. This may be what you were thinking of.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

On my knees, thanking you. Seriously.

Do you happen to know what speakers were used? It says 300, which would indicate a stock Marshall cab with a quad of Gt75's. James went on in some guitar mag interviews to say he was using Vintage 30's on AJFA... but the recording never sounded V30ish to me. There's something, um distinctive, in the lows that the v30's don't do, but the 75's (and 65's and CL80's) do.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict
holy crap.

flemming rasmussen.

i can still remember the day i brought home ride the lightning as a wee 14 year old lad. that was the first record that just completely floored me, and here i am 20 something years later, making records.

i think i owe you a beer sir.

i hate to be all gushing fanboy, but please would you tell us some stories?

did you know when you were making those records (RTL in particular) that they would be as huge as they are? did the band? how long did you spend on them? how was the vibe, how were relations? highlights, lowlights, magic moments? anything really

cheers!
scott
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja

On my knees, thanking you. Seriously.

Do you happen to know what speakers were used? It says 300, which would indicate a stock Marshall cab with a quad of Gt75's. James went on in some guitar mag interviews to say he was using Vintage 30's on AJFA... but the recording never sounded V30ish to me. There's something, um distinctive, in the lows that the v30's don't do, but the 75's (and 65's and CL80's) do.
Actually, the Marshall cabs from that era with Vintage 30's were rated at 300W. They were just called "Celestion Vintage," but they were essentially V30's. I used to have a Marshall 4X12 from late '91 or so, and it was a 300W cab with Vintage 30's. So, it's entirely possibly James was correct in saying the cabs had V30's in them.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
Actually, the Marshall cabs from that era with Vintage 30's were rated at 300W. They were just called "Celestion Vintage," but they were essentially V30's. I used to have a Marshall 4X12 from late '91 or so, and it was a 300W cab with Vintage 30's. So, it's entirely possibly James was correct in saying the cabs had V30's in them.
I'm not a celestion history buff, but I have a hard time swallowing that for MoP (because of the year). Maybe for AJFA, but all I remember from back then were 65's and 75's.

God.. it's been 20 years folks.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja
I'm not a celestion history buff, but I have a hard time swallowing that for MoP (because of the year). Maybe for AJFA, but all I remember from back then were 65's and 75's.

God.. it's been 20 years folks.
No clue...you could be right. I just know I had a Marshall 4X12 cab with G12 Vintage speakers in it rated at 300W...
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Head

Drum notes

Hi There

I have the EQs for drum recording on Master of Puppets

Flemming Rasmussen
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Do share then my man
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Flemming Rasmussen? Wow
I'd just like to say how great it is that your taking the time to answer these questions.

Have you got any info/notes on for the bass guitar(s) - eq, amps etc?
If you could post some info on that I'd be in your debt

Once again, much respect for doing this
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Wow, this is awesome.

Thanks for the info Flemming. If you could talk a little about how you EQd the
guitar tracks on the mixing board, that would be amazing.

Thanks again for the info!
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Just like to post my thanks to Flemming for taking the time to post his notes up.

Looking forward to seeing more
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfContained
Wow, this is awesome.

Thanks for the info Flemming. If you could talk a little about how you EQd the
guitar tracks on the mixing board, that would be amazing.

Thanks again for the info!
He's actually shared his settings for how things were EQ'd while tracking. If memory serves me correctly, Master of Puppets was actually mixed by our own Michael Wagener, who I'm sure would share any insight he recalls into the mixing process for the album...
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Head

Metallica Notes

16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Hi Guys

New Link for all the notes. They will come up in a couple of days.

http://www.sweetsilence.com/GearSlutzNotes.htm

Enjoy

Flemming Rasmussen
Again, thanks a million Flemming...it's much appreciated!
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Hi Flemming. Thanks for taking the time to post these settings and techniques.

I've been studying your production work (particularly on those 2 albums) for years now trying to get the same feel and sounds out of my own recording. I play the Hetfield part in an Metallica tribute Internet band called Sad But True and our entire work involves recording Metallica covers. Its nice to get some insight on the whole process.

If there are any other techniques, tricks, or techniques you'd like to share from the recording of these 2 aobums (or any other for that matter), I'm sure I speak for everyone when saying we would be mighty grateful.

Again, thanks for taking the time for coming here and posting. I'm sure there are far better things you could be doing with your time than indulging us on an Internet message board, so whatever you can give us, we will glady take and you have our most sincere gratitude.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
wow..

hi flemming! and after that please put up your notes on the morbid angel - covenant album I like that damned guitarsound!

welcome Flemming!
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Hi Guys

New Link for all the notes. They will come up in a couple of days.

http://www.sweetsilence.com/GearSlutzNotes.htm

Enjoy

Flemming Rasmussen
Thanks again!
I'll be sure to keep checking that site
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Hi There

I have the EQs for drum recording on Master of Puppets
Yes, please share those settings when you get the chance.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear maniac

This is...the greatest thread in the history of Gearslutz for some of us.

Matt
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear addict

Flemming, just saw the update...great stuff! I do have a question I hope you may know the answer to, though. It's been long rumored that on "Master of Puppets," you guys ran the Mesa Mark IIC+ head unit into a Marshall JCM 800 as a power amp. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks again!
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear Head

Metallica Notes

17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear Head

From Flemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
Flemming, just saw the update...great stuff! I do have a question I hope you may know the answer to, though. It's been long rumored that on "Master of Puppets," you guys ran the Mesa Mark IIC+ head unit into a Marshall JCM 800 as a power amp. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks again!
Yes - we did a lot of stuff like that. So YES is the answer.

Flemming Rasmussen

Myspace
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Yes - we did a lot of stuff like that. So YES is the answer.

Flemming Rasmussen

Myspace
Thanks for the info...enjoy your trip to Germany! thumbsup
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear interested

Once again thank you Flemming.

Im glad to hear you'll be posting instructions on how to read your notes, as they are at the moment, I can't understand a thing.

Have fun in Germany
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear interested

Wow thanks for the update with the bass guitar info

Have fun in Germany thumbsup
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear interested

Hello Flemming, it's awesome that you're here! Thanks for al the things you posted so far!

Could you please (when you get back from Germany) tell us how many guitars did you record on "Master of Puppets", meaning how many layers? Also, how did you pan them? Which of the three mics that you said you used was the "most important", meaning, which was later the loudest in the mix?

Thanks a lot!
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmot
Hello Flemming, it's awesome that you're here! Thanks for al the things you posted so far!

Could you please (when you get back from Germany) tell us how many guitars did you record on "Master of Puppets", meaning how many layers? Also, how did you pan them? Which of the three mics that you said you used was the "most important", meaning, which was later the loudest in the mix?

Thanks a lot!
In looking at Flemming's notes, it appears the SM57 and the AKG were the most prominent in most stuff, while the other mic was tucked a little more underneath. The mixing of the album (MOP) was actually done by our own Michael Wagener. If I recall correctly, I believe Michael mentioned before that there was 6 tracks of rhythm guitar on the album. One playing a set of riffs panned hard left and about 11 o'clock, another playing slightly different riffs panned hard right and 1-2 o'clock, and another set playing just the palm muted notes that were panned hard left and right. I'm sure Michael can elaborate more in-depth, though, if he likes.
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear interested

Wow! You are a legend Flemming! Thank you so much for posting here - what a treat. AJFA is my favorite record of all time - has been since it came out.

Cheers and thanks again.

-Aaron
17th February 2006
Old 17th February 2006
Gear interested

Flemming some drum notes would be amazing, and please get as extensive as you want. Thanks for your time and generosity.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search