Sub and bass heavy mixes
CLH
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear maniac

Sub and bass heavy mixes

Hey fellas,

I'd like your views on a little issue I have.

My mixes seem to be having a bit too much information in the low frequency spectrum; app 20-100 Hz. If I 'dial in' the amount that seems appropriate in the studio, when played back - especially on car stereos, newer small hi-fi systems (they are bass exaggerated, I know!), etc. - there is a bit too much information down there...

I have a very well treated (fairly small) control room, Dynaudio BM5a's with a KRK 10 sub, and also NS10's. The sub is set at 80 Hz, in the middle below the speakers and turned up to where I like it with other well-known mixes.

I'm thinking if I can't correctly determine what's going on in the low lows, that is also going to influence on decisions made in other areas, and we don't want that!

What would be the first thing to look at in your opinion?

Thanks!
Deleted User
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Deleted User

Room acoustics.

Experience. More low end might seem cool when you're mixing it, but it might not need it.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear interested

A lot of what you're trying to achieve in the bass area actually depends on the mids. the ear can 'reconstruct' a bass note even when only its harmonics are present. exciters do a good job in using that psychoacoustic phenomenon and so does a good mastering engineer

in a small room, a pair of good headphones is sometimes the only way to hear the bottom end properly..
LMS
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
LMS
Lives for gear

try a 110 cut and a 250 cut, maybe 1-2db max on the 2bus, adjust the q until it gets thin and then narrow it up to taste.

This has always cleared the low-mid up for me and also seems to bring a depth to the mix. Too much lows, in my experience causes you to not be able to get depth.

This, of course, is from my experience and it might not work for everyone.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS View Post
Too much lows, in my experience causes you to not be able to get depth.
If it's subbass bothering you - that "muddy" sound, make sure you're highpassing before the compressor/limiter. 4th order at 25Hz oughta do nicely.
CLH
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Room acoustics.

Experience. More low end might seem cool when you're mixing it, but it might not need it.
Thanks - please elaborate on 'Room acoustics'; like I said my room is well treated with bass wall, bass traps, panels, diffusers etc. What could be worth looking in to?

As for experience - I believe working with audio is a never ending learning experience Having said that I'm pretty well broken in, but used to mixing records in other facilities.

Hope you can enlighten me on the acoustic side!
CLH
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS View Post
try a 110 cut and a 250 cut, maybe 1-2db max on the 2bus, adjust the q until it gets thin and then narrow it up to taste.

This has always cleared the low-mid up for me and also seems to bring a depth to the mix. Too much lows, in my experience causes you to not be able to get depth.

This, of course, is from my experience and it might not work for everyone.
Cool - never had the need to do that when working in other rooms, but it's definitely an area that will cause mud...
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear addict

I think cutting on the 2buss sounds weak. Try working aggressively with the HP and LP filters, particularly HP. Cut all guitars (except for bass guitar) roughly 150-400hz. Cut the bass at 44hz. Cut Snare's at 100-230hz. Cut cymbals all the way to 800-1khz. Use only 24db octave slope on your eq plugs. This should clean things right up!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search