Upgrade my JBL EON 15 G2's?
New Reply
Subscribe
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
The EON's had around 3 times as much hiss as The Box PA302's!!
Yeah, my 15G2's were very hissy as well. You wouldn't notice once you start playing, but it was apparent at idle.

Nonetheless, I like the EON's. Good value for money.

Z's hub
dickiefunk
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Yeah, my 15G2's were very hissy as well. You wouldn't notice once you start playing, but it was apparent at idle.

Nonetheless, I like the EON's. Good value for money.
Yeah this is my main niggle with the 15G2's,
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whilst I have no problem with the EON's not being the best I have had some surprisingly good results with them! They have done 2 years of hard gigging and I've put kick drum, bass, keys, guitars, brass through them for venues up to 300 and they have not complained!!
No disrespect meant to you...If you can make a pair of single 15" JBL EON's rock a 300 capacity room, then you do know your shit. You are obviously looking for more though, and hence the suggestions.

www.aisle6.com.au
dickiefunk
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
You are obviously looking for more though, and hence the suggestions.
My next step is to get another EON 518S sub. Having two subs should hopefully make a big difference to just using a pair of 15 G2's.

After that I may keep an eye out for a bargain secondhand pair of EON 515XT's but I'll be in no hurry!

One thing I've been really impressed with the 15 G2's is the full range frequency response. On some gigs I've put double bass and kick drum through them for a bars that hold around 150 people and they've been great! I didn't need to crank them either!
Because of the 15G2's full range I would be tempted to go for the 515XT's as they are said to have the same full range frequency.
I think the full range they offer + the upgraded amps, horn (apparently same as the PRX 515?), lower noise and amazing low weight would suit me for what I'm doing! For bar gigs I could use a pair of the 15G2's or 515XT's and still have enough bottom for bass and kick and when I do bigger gigs I could bring the subs aswell.
dickiefunk
28th April 2011
Old 28th April 2011
Lives for gear

Just briefly tried out the EON 518S sub with my 15 G2's and have to say I'm really impressed!

I still only have the 15 G2 tops turned up to 50% but the sub easily matches them. If I were to turn the tops up to 75%-100% then I would probably need another sub but I've not had to do this yet.

One thing that amazed me was how light this sub is!!! It's so light I can lift it with one hand. I can comfortably carry this by myself! I find it pretty amazing how such a small light box can produce the sound that it does!!
dickiefunk
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

EON 518S sub did it's first gig tonight and was absolutley brilliant!!!

Admittedly the gig was a fairly small gig of around 200 people but one sub paired with my 15G2 tops thumped it out without having to even crank them up!!

The rest of the band were amazed at how such a small and light sub could produce the sound it did!!

Well done JBL for making a truly portable sub that is BOTH lightweight and great sounding!!
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

I find that the JBL EON speakers are nice (kind of a smiley EQ). That works well for DJ's.

I prefer the QSC K series because they have the flat and vocal boost. They also have the deep mode if you need it. They sound more natural to my ears and they are built incredibly well. I like the symmetrical dispersion. The 6 year warranty and M10 rigging points are just the icing on the cake. YMMV

I LOVE the KW series, but they are not portable.
C - 214.471.9563
kdeal@gcpro.com
http://www.gcpro.com/
dickiefunk
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I find that the JBL EON speakers are nice (kind of a smiley EQ). That works well for DJ's.

I prefer the QSC K series because they have the flat and vocal boost. They also have the deep mode if you need it. They sound more natural to my ears and they are built incredibly well. I like the symmetrical dispersion. The 6 year warranty and M10 rigging points are just the icing on the cake. YMMV

I LOVE the KW series, but they are not portable.
The EON's are nice but I wouldn't be surprised at all that the QSC K12's are better.

My pair of 15 G2's cost me £500 brand new vs the K12's which cost £1400 for a pair!

My next speaker purchase will be another EON 518S sub which I'm going to wait for a secondhand one to turn up.

Beyond this I may then look to pick up a pair of secondhand EON 515XT's but these would have to be at a total no brainer bargain price as my 15 G2's are fine.
21st July 2011
Old 21st July 2011
Gear interested

maybe you already bought another sub ?

Grounding is definitely the issue which explains the hiss.
Using the balanced outputs on your mixer will probably solve the problem.

Another cheap solution is to use a device to "seperate" the grounding by using a DI box. DI unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A large selection can be found on: Direct Boxes | Sweetwater.com Check it. A good and cheap one is: ARTDUALXDIRECT or the ARTCLEANBOXPRO

I had the same problem...

Regards !
dickiefunk
21st July 2011
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply!

Yes most of the noise I was hearing was a ground loop! Sorted this problem out now!

The EON 15 G2's still have some hiss but nothing to drastic now!
dickiefunk
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thought I'd do a quick bump on this thread to see if anyone has since had the opportunity to compare the 515XT's to the EON 15G2's?

Also, has anyone had issues of reliability with the EON 515XT's?
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear interested

I owned the 15G2s for 8 years, they have been great speakers and I'll be keeping them as a back up. I had been looking for a replacement because as good as the G2s are, the weight was getting me down. I know they're powerful and not as heavy as many speakers, but they still caused me issues going up stairs and mounting them on stands being a person with a dodgy back! My duo partner (guitarist) called them "The Brutes" because we both hated lugging them around. I know in the grand scheme of things they are actually not that bad considering how much power they have, but the newer class D amplifiers and technology became more and more alluring!

When I was first looking for new speakers the XTs had not been released, and I was put off the original 515s because of the reports on forums that they weren't as powerful as the G2s and needed a high signal from the mixer to drive them properly. I have always liked RCF gear, so I ordered a single RCF422a from Absolute Music online (I live in Maidstone, and they're based in Bournmouth so I couldn't go in for a demo). The RCF had a beautiful sound, very compact and very hi-fi sounding for a loudspeaker. The weight was better but still 18kg. One thing I noticed was, there wasn't as much power as my G2s, it had less bass (being a 12" speaker I guess?) and also the top end didn't cut through as much. But overall playing CDs through it was very good, it just didnt sound that great when I was singing through it because I had to turn up the vocal mic so much to cut through it would feedback easily, and I'd need to turn the backing tracks down as well.

The RCF had a very balanced hi-fi sound with lots of detail, and if I were a DJ I imagine I'd prefer it. However, since i play saxophone and sing with a soft voice it is important to me that the vocals cut through with ease. This has always been something that the G2s have done well. Although the tweeters on the G2s are a tad harsh, they are good for making sure the vocals are heard over the rest of the band/music playing. So I sent the RCF speaker back to the shop within the 7 days under distance selling regs. Have to say, Absolute Music were brilliant, they just took it back with no questions asked. I waited a few months as I was unsure what to do and decided to stick with the G2s for a while.

When I heard that JBL had addressed the issues that concerned me and released a new model (515XT) I decided to take another gamble and buy one from Absolute, knowing that if I hated it I could send it back like the last one. When it arrived I put a G2 and 515XT side by side with my main set up connected to compare. The 515XT sounded more hi-fi with a nicer mid range, plus it had more detail. The horn wasn't as harsh as the G2 at higher volumes and generally sounded more rounded and complete. The 515XT sounded notably better to my ears with all kinds of music, and my vocals and sax still cut through the mix nicely. I also couldnt detect any distortion at high levels. The weight is wonderful, they're a pleasure to use and just as powerful too! So I ordered a second speaker to complete my set up. I have been gigging with them each weekend since January, and I have had lots of complimentary comments about them, the bottom end is nice and they seem to sound good everywhere we play. I genuinely couldn't be happier with them, and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

I can't comment on the reliability but I feel happy knowing that I have a 3 year guarantee with Absolute (if you sign up for their newsletter you become a VIP member and automatically qualify for that). Also, the heatsinks on the back are barely warm after a long gig, so I feel comfortable that everything is working nicely.

Finally I should mention, I did buy some padded bags for them, but they weren't for me - way too big and the huge handles were cumbersome. I ended up getting some of these which I much prefer: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~...X~ID~12564.asp

I actually bought a pair of the covers from whybuynew at £59 but I don't think they have stock now. They have a velcro bit on the front which rolls them up so you can use the speaker outside with the cover on, but I think you're not supposed to use them on powered JBLs, as it may not allow the heatsink to work properly - there's a label on it saying something along those lines. But for transporting to gigs these were a better option for me (as I remove the covers anyway).
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
s.

If you really want to run some small active boxes without a sub, then you just cannot beat the KV2 Audio EX12. 12" active 2-way. Try one and then get back to me. Nothing compares.
By far the best powered box I've worked with. But very expensive here in the states and without any domestic support. The performance is stellar, but I don't like to spend that kind of cash without a service center in my country. Even RCF covers domestic warranty issues.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Ok quick heads up. I got to try out a pair of 515XT's next to my EON 15G2's this week! I had them side by side and did some A/Bing.

First thing that I noticed with the 515XT's was how light they were!!!

I tried vocals, keys, bass and pre recorded music through both sets and there was clearly a difference in sound between these. The 515XT's mid range was a little clearer and the high end was more extended than the 15G2's but the G2's had much more bottom end! The difference was quite surprising as both speakers are quoted as having the same frequency response. If I tried to eq in the extra bass on the 515Xt's to match the G2's they didn't cope as well as the G2's.
Also JBL say the 515XT's have improved noise performance but they both had equal amounts of noise until my G2's were turned above 75% where the noise increased. On the 515 XT's the noise didn't get any louder even at 100%! Mind you I've never had to turn my G2's up beyond 75%.

If I had to buy either of these new today I would find it hard to decide which pair to buy as I like to have decent full range so that I can put bass and kick drum through for small gigs. For this purpose I would definitely take the older 15G2's for this purpose. However I think the 515XT's would be a better match for my EON 518s subs due to their clearer midrange and extended high frequencies.
I guess it's horses for courses with these and I won't be selling my 15G2's for the 515XT's.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

That's interesting dickiefunk, what mixer did you use in-between the speakers, and was it a balanced input? Using my Soundcraft Folio FX8 with a balanced cable I didn't notice a big difference in terms of bass and volume. If anything the 515XTs have a tighter bass, but there's still plenty of it through my mixer. In fact I have had to turn the bass down slightly (whereas I ran the G2s flat for bass).

My G2s have a sparkly top end, but that can become harsh/fatiguing at higher volume levels, whereas the 515XTs top end is more pleasant generally and seemed more comfortable/at home at higher volumes. Might be down to the mixer?
dickiefunk
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I used a Yamaha 01v digital mixer. When I put a bass or electronic kick drum through both sets of speakers the 15G2's clearly had more weight and punch. I used balanced cables.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

That's interesting... bit strange though as I have a set of both G2s and 515XTs and I have to roll the bass off slightly on the 515XTs. Maybe it has something to do with the different gear we are using.

Good to hear you finally had a chance to A-B them personally
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

Qsc k12 vs jbl prx615

I bought a pair of the prx615's a year ago, had then for about 2 months before hearing them side by side with qsc k12's. The qsc's were cleaner sounding, but with much more bass and also just sounder fuller altogether. And this was with both speakers bass settings on normal. I was amazed, especially because this was a 12" speaker beating a 15". Same sources (iPod,bass guitar). I immediately sold the jbl's and have been extremely happy with the qsc's ever since.
dickiefunk
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504James View Post
I bought a pair of the prx615's a year ago, had then for about 2 months before hearing them side by side with qsc k12's. The qsc's were cleaner sounding, but with much more bass and also just sounder fuller altogether. And this was with both speakers bass settings on normal. I was amazed, especially because this was a 12" speaker beating a 15". Same sources (iPod,bass guitar). I immediately sold the jbl's and have been extremely happy with the qsc's ever since.
Wow that's very surprising to hear!!
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
Grounding is definitely the issue which explains the hiss.
Using the balanced outputs on your mixer will probably solve the problem.
Except that the EON's tweeter still hisses with nothing connected.
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Head

Not in the sub ( frequencies ) range, but.. For full range keyboard monitoring with synth bass and pianos strings etc... I am not sure of the models ( to replace Eon G2 15" ) I have tried, but comparably priced pwred speakes from EV, JBL, ( I own presently own 2 K10's QSC, and a Bose L1 model 2 w their proprietary mixer and B1 ) were a big let down for me!! My 2 Eon G2's are breaking now under all the years of pounding they took.
Can anyone here nominate a candidate to replace ( either equal to, or better than ) the Eon G2 15's?? I am beginning to think that inspite of their odd shape and plastic construction and notable hiss, these darn things are not replaceable!
The Bose suck for bass, just suck. Bose excellent for piano, but not bass.
K10's are ok, but I miss the G2 15 thing, a nice rounded bass.

Please I need to replace quickly. bearing portability and price point in mind, can ANYONE name a single replacement that will put a smile back on my face?
You can nominate boxes that are pricey, I guess... just mention the price.
Same issue with portability.. Eon is around 50 lbs.
I don't need a super lightweight cab, esp if light weight compromises the TONE!
I don't want to deal with too heavy, but if it sounds great, I might be amenable.
Please I need a replacement today!
Thank you
dickiefunk
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

I found the Yamaha DXR15's to be quite a step up from the JBL EON 15 G2s I owned. My keyboards sound MUCH better through the Yamahas!
The depth and clarity on the DXR15s is outstanding within compared to anything I've heard within their price range! I have tried the JBL EON 515XT's and thought the DXR15s were in a different league!
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found the Yamaha DXR15's to be quite a step up from the JBL EON 15 G2s I owned. My keyboards sound MUCH better through the Yamahas!
The depth and clarity on the DXR15s is outstanding within compared to anything I've heard within their price range! I have tried the JBL EON 515XT's and thought the DXR15s were in a different league!
It costs a little more, but I would have a listen to the DSR15.
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

+1 to the DSR and DXR speakers- both are great.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search