Login / Register

Mix-only-setup: stress DAC or Monitors (concrete scenarios inside)
New Reply
Subscribe
MarkieMark
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear interested

Mix-only-setup: stress DAC or Monitors (concrete scenarios inside)

Hello everyone,

at first let me tell you, what an awesome forum this is! Even if i didn't participate actively up to now, i pretty much enjoy every thread if i get around reading.

Since 2 years i'm a general electrical engineering student in germany and i'm pretty sure that i'm going to concentrate on the field of acoustics when time comes.
But more current: Since i'm really fascinated by the process of music production - especially the technical aspects of sound/acoustics - i now have in mind to build up some kind of small ITB-Mixing enviroment, to deal with such things in practice, really understand them and hopefully achieve some learning progress.
The music genre will be RnB/Pop/Hip Hop mostly, because that's basically the kind of music i come from and so it happens that i've got some friends who make their living as Musicians/Producers in that area. They're liberally willing to provide me with some of their work, that is completely recorded songs, to dabble in mixing, editing etc.
Besides some time ago i'was fooling around with some beatmaking myself (since i'm no trained musician at all, let's just call it that). So while i'm at it, i'd like to revisit that also. But that would be 100% ITB, using vstis & samples and no recordings, so apart from Midi there's no need for other inputs i guess.

First of all, i'm aware of the fact that accurate room treatment has probably by far the greatest influence on the acoustic situation in my kind of range and of course i will try to cover that the best possible. But i thought if i'm investing money in gear anyway (in my budget a few hundred euros/dollars are a lot of cash unfortunately ) i should aim for the most reasonable.
So heres my main concern:
If there's a budget limit of €750 / $1000 for monitors and an interface, and it comes down to either spending a little more on the one or the other, what would be wise to do?

Consider this comparison:

Lower priced speakers in the category of:
Yamaha HS50m / Alesis M1 MK2 / KRK RP5
+
Apogee Duet
(seems to be an interface with DAC of higher value, given the mentionings in this forum)

VS.

speakers one level above, like:
Adam A5x / JBL LSR 2325P / Yamaha MSP5
+
something like:
EMU 0204 / M-Audio Fast Track Pro / Echo Audiofire 2

Both alternatives would pretty much match the said Budget. I saw that in most cases of the question "monitor upgrade vs. interface upgrade?" you guys recommended to go for better speakers, but i wasn't able to find a thread covering these particular or very likewise scenarios (yet if there is: i'm sorry for opening this thread).

So is the improvement between the mentioned speakers really much bigger than the Sound difference between a Duet and a standard $200 Interface?
Because i have really no experience in the scope of these aspects or any quality differences between manufacturers, i was hoping you could give me some useful advice on that.

Thank you very much!
Mark
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear interested

I think the Adam A5x + E-Mu 0204 combination is better, alsolater you can add another pair of monitors to the setup.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search