CAD m177/179 Current Draw
New Reply
Subscribe
theproduca
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

CAD m177/179 Current Draw

After reading SOS (Sound On Sound) the ONLY pub I trust because they have actually reviewed a number of products and have NOT been afraid to say they SUCK!!! They mentioned the HIGH current draw from these mics, though they said these puppies are not ONLY made here, they sound GREAT (Neumann U87 owners). So I'm getting a few starting with a 177 I saw cheap somewhere. Has anyone had a problem with HIGH current draw ...8m/A and vibration problems being it doesn't have a shockmount? Other than that, I've heard nothing but GOOD things HERE and everywhere else about these puppies.

SOS

The HolloMedia Group
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Geariophile

Yet SOS have also praised some piece of gear to high heaven when it DOES completely suck on many occasions.......= magazines = big bag of salt.

For the CAD's just make sure you have a proper phantom supply. And they do go down lower than most mics I can think of, so handling noise will be subby....
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproduca View Post
After reading SOS (Sound On Sound) the ONLY pub I trust because they have actually reviewed a number of products and have NOT been afraid to say they SUCK!!! They mentioned the HIGH current draw from these mics, though they said these puppies are not ONLY made here, they sound GREAT (Neumann U87 owners). So I'm getting a few starting with a 177 I saw cheap somewhere. Has anyone had a problem with HIGH current draw ...8m/A and vibration problems being it doesn't have a shockmount? Other than that, I've heard nothing but GOOD things HERE and everywhere else about these puppies.

SOS
I have never had an issue regarding current draw and I use mine regularly. Mine have shock mounts so I cannot speak to that
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nosebleedaudio
Has anyone measured the current???
The specs state: Phantom requirements; 24/48V 8ma .
Not the same as it DRAWS 8ma..just that wants to make sure your phantom HAS enough current...
If it DOES draw that much, which is about twice as most High current draw mics (4ma) then the voltage to the mic would drop considerably, leaving around 21volts for the mic circuit to use...
Also it is NOT uncommon for someone to get the specs wrong (No proof reader)...even the Man..

But if it is...it is...

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search