New Reply
Subscribe
abadchris
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

Blue Bluebird Mic + ? Preamp

Hello studio slutz!

So I just picked up the Blue Bluebird microphone and have enjoyed it so far. It sounds good with my current setup, but I know it will sound GREAT if coupled with a solid preamp.

Just wanted to get anybody's opinion on what preamp would go well with this mic? I'm very new to the home studio game, so I'm open to any suggestions really. I'll be primarily using the setup to record R&B vocals, both male and female... with some occasional Hip-Hop.

Budget would be around $500-700.

Right now I have the Bluebird connected directly to the Apogee Duet, which from what I heard already has a pretty decent pre.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

-Chris
----------
13-inch Unibody MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Pro Tools 9 HD
abadchris
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear interested

BUMP
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

what preamp are you currently using for it?
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear nut

I have the Blue Bluebird as well, and I have been loving it for my voice and the lead signer in my band! I have been using a Focusrite Platinum Penta with it and I must say I sounds killer! Really nothing special. I mean I got the Focusrite as a gift so that worked out for me!

It depends on your budget really and the sound that you want. I would say the in mid-low end range though the Penta and the Presonus Eureka would be good candidates though.

Hope this is somewhat helpful!
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear nut

I would also add getting a more legitimate pop filter for the mic. I just upgraded to the Steadman and what a difference! Just my 2 cents...
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of good stuff in that range. Presonus Eureka, RNP, Art Tube VLA, UA 610, etc.
abadchris
12th February 2011
Old 12th February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
what preamp are you currently using for it?
Not using any preamp with it. Just connecting it directly to the Duet since I heard that it already has a decent preamp.
abadchris
12th February 2011
Old 12th February 2011
Gear interested

My friend is selling me his Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro preamp for $250.

Should I get it? Have you guys had any experiences with it? The device is about $700 new so I'm guessing it's a steal at $250.

Curious to know if the VMP preamp is significantly better than the preamp on the Duet?

THANKS for all the replies guys! I'm such a newbie so any help is greatly appreciated.
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

MY vote is the FMR RNP. I used mine with one while I still had the RNP (sadly I no longer have one - I traded it) and it sounded great. You get 2 channels- and I think you'll find it works great with a number of mics
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for beer

My Bluebird is one of my "Always up" mics... mostly because it sounds great on acoustic guitars and I record a lot of, er, acoustic guitars.

Mine is very happy running into my MPA Gold. It doesn't grump too much, however, if I demote it to the DMP3.
http://theaudiomc.com
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Gear addict

In my experience...

Knowing a mic's sound profile and matching it with the right sound source could be more important than fiddling with preamps. The Bluebird perks up darker sounds. I've used it with the Yamaha preamps in the Steinberg MR-816csx and it was spectacular for a smokey voiced baritone jazz singer.

Probably not a great mic choice for already crispy sounds, regardless of preamps.

Of course, there are other variables that could affect your results (like room acoustics).
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadchris View Post
My friend is selling me his Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro preamp for $250.

Should I get it? Have you guys had any experiences with it? The device is about $700 new so I'm guessing it's a steal at $250.

Curious to know if the VMP preamp is significantly better than the preamp on the Duet?

THANKS for all the replies guys! I'm such a newbie so any help is greatly appreciated.
I had the Trakmaster Pro which was ok but I much prefer my Presonus Eureka.
E 2
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
E 2
Gear interested

I'm not sure if this thread is dead.. But I'm curious.

So right now I am a songwriter who has the Blue Bluebird with the Apogee Duet running into Logic Pro.

Do you feel like I can capture a high quality sound strictly with these three elements or is the sound going to be colorless or lack a certain quality? I realize treatment, mic placement, etc.. all is going to be a factor but do I absolutely need to have a pre amp of quality as well or should I attempt to gain the best quality sound possible with what I have?
E 2
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
E 2
Gear interested

I'm not sure if this thread is dead.. But I'm curious.

So right now I am a songwriter who has the Blue Bluebird with the Apogee Duet running into Logic Pro.

Do you feel like I can capture a high quality sound strictly with these three elements or is the sound going to be colorless or lack a certain quality? I realize treatment, mic placement, etc.. all is going to be a factor but do I absolutely need to have a pre amp of quality as well or should I attempt to gain the best quality sound possible with what I have?
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear addict

Save your money and buy a decent one . My suggestion a BAE 1073 ....The 1073 says it all . On the cheap Black lion Audio Autuer has some good reviews and i dont mind mine either .

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search