Opinion wanted: Millennia STT-1
New Reply
Subscribe
Richard Chycki
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear nut

Opinion wanted: Millennia STT-1

Millennia STT-1 channel strip .... like it? hate it? What is the resale value of one of these?

It's included in a gear package I'm considering and I've not had the opportunity to plug one in ....

Thanks much

R.
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear maniac

Like it a lot.

Particularly the Solid State path. EQ is very clean and compressor is fast enough to deal with dynamic issues when tracking. I also like the Mic pre on vocals in particular, combined with a C12-A for example.

The tube path is also good, but benefits from replacing the stock Sovteks with Telefunkens (which Millennia will do, or you can do yourself). Just gives it a tad more warmth, which makes it a more useful alternative.

I'm yet to find an all-in-one type tracking channel I prefer.

Jules
Richard Chycki
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear nut

Thanks, Jules ...

BTW, can anyone compare it to the Avalon hybrid??

R.
jhg
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
jhg
Gear addict

Avalon vs Millenia Origin

I have used both of these units, the 737 and the STT-1. I like the Millenia piece much better. Among the highlights: much more versatile with the option to switch in and out the tubes in different sections: IE the tube circuit can be switched in for the compressor, but the EQ solid state; it has a de-esser; the eq sounds good, each band can be switched in/out. I have used with a U87 and a Soundelux U99, which, despite all the tubes and potential for mudiness, sounded very smooth.

That's my take.
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear interested

27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Gregg Sartiano
The STT-1 is great. How much $$$ is it worth in your package???

Resale would be $1800 up (maybe $2k?). I don't know, but that's the ballpark. I've seen people try to sell 'em for more on craigslist, but they keep being repeat-listed, so I assume they're not selling at higher prices. It's hard to tell 'cause it's not exactly a common piece.

It sounds great with a Pearlman mic for guy voices, girl voices, and acoustic guitars, I will say that. But, then again, for that kind of $$$, it had BETTER sound good...

It has a rep for being 'neutral' when it comes to tone-color. I would tend to agree.
"We need to legitimize peer-to-peer sharing as a business model, because it's already a business. If [the P2P companies] are going to make money on us, we should have a chance to make money along with them."
-- Perry Farrell on the failure of national intellectual property policy to keep up with the rapid evolution of online media

"Every Internet transmission of a musical work constitutes a public performance of that work. " http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webfaq.html
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Guru

I think the STT-1 is a fantastic piece of gear. The Avalon, for my money, no way compares with it.
27th January 2006
Old 27th January 2006
Gear maniac

Millenia STT1 is a great piece of gear. The solid path is without comparison as far as clean recording goes (acoustic guitars e.g.) For the tubes path I would advise changing the tubes to Telefunken ones. Not that the original ones are bad, but the Telefunken ones give you a really noticeable second choice as compared to the solid path.
Richard Chycki
28th January 2006
Old 28th January 2006
Gear nut

Thanks for the input everyone ....

Best regards,

R.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search