Login / Register
 
Pro Tools 9 ...'Student Edition'...
New Reply
Subscribe
David Watts
Thread Starter
#1
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #1
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
Pro Tools 9 ...'Student Edition'...

I can't work out what the drawbacks of getting a student version of PT9 is? Is it literally just cheaper, or are there certain key features missing...?

I'm thinking of kidnapping a friendly neighbourhood student and forcing him to buy it for me you see...
#2
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 547

Nelson89 is offline
If its anything like the other companies, it'll be fully functional, just won't have the option of upgrading to the next one, you'll have to buy it outright.
__________________
"You sold the blues mobile for this hunk o' shit?!"
"no i sold it for a microphone"
"oh...i can see that"

www.facebook.com/matthewnelsonmusic
www.facebook.com/mattnelsonaudio
www.youtube.com/matthewnelsonmusic

"They put songs on the radio...not mixes..."
#3
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: N wales
Posts: 232

Steb is offline
as far as I know, its the same..just cheaper! (I have it - I wont be too happy if theres no upgrades available)
David Watts
Thread Starter
#4
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #4
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
how much did it set you back?
#5
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 608

Herb is offline
Usually the only difference is the licence prohibits using it in any commercial fashion.
#6
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #6
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: N wales
Posts: 232

Steb is offline
I think i paid $142 for it, which aint half bad, seeing as im in the UK.
#7
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Scott Whigham's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,364

Scott Whigham is offline
__________________
http://www.scottwhigham.com
#8
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Webb's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 627

Webb is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Seems pricey if there is no upgrade. Here's a link showing it for $295

Avid Pro Tools 9 Student Edition (Mac / Win) for $294.95 at Academic Superstore

I just looked on Sweetwater and you apparently can get it for $195 with an older mBox mini:

Pro Tools 9 | Sweetwater.com

What am I missing? How is the student edition a better deal?
Pretty sure the mbox mini at Sweetwater you linked does not come with Pro Tools 9. It comes with Pro Tools LE 8 with the option to upgrade to 9 for $250 I believe.
#9
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Scott Whigham's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,364

Scott Whigham is offline
lol - you are right. Not the first time I failed at marketing. Glad I wasn't trying to buy!
#10
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #10
Gear Head
 
Enuncia's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peabody Institute, MD
Posts: 43

Enuncia is offline
I actually just purchased the student edition. Far as I can tell, it's not "broken" in any way. It seems to just be a way of throwing us broke college kids a bone.
#11
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #11
Gear addict
 
EstockAudio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 321
My Studio

EstockAudio is offline
It is exactly the same thing as a full version of PT9, but is specifically meant for students and cannot be upgraded.
#12
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Canuk
Posts: 6,271

T_R_S is offline
Just as the academic version of Logic is non upgradable.
#13
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #13
Gear nut
 
Dan Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Dan Smith is offline
Crossgradeable

Well I have never tried to upgrade my Pro Tools (from 7 to 8 for ex) but when 9 came out many of my classmates were able to get crossgrades for their academic versions of PT 8. Not only that but they got it at an academic price. My school's bookstore sells the LE crossgrade for $125 and the MP version for $175. Both versions are fully functional and the only indication that they are academic is a small sticker on the box. Check your schools bookstore. Make sure you talk to the person who orders the software because my time they don't even know until they talk to their distributor. Good luck!
David Watts
Thread Starter
#14
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #14
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
when you say you can't upgrade it, do you mean you won't be able to eventually upgrade from 9 up to 10, or do you mean you can't get the various updates that will no doubt be rolled out come out for 9?
#15
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 547

Nelson89 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
when you say you can't upgrade it, do you mean you won't be able to eventually upgrade from 9 up to 10, or do you mean you can't get the various updates that will no doubt be rolled out come out for 9?
As in upgrade to 10...you'll still get all the updates...but it's probably wise to contact AVID about it...i just know that when the time comes, i'll be able to upgrade my version of Logic 9 cause its not a student version, but i won't be able to do the same with my version of Cubase Studio 5 because its a student version (not that i'd really want to anyway...it'll probably stay with that same computer until it wears itself out).
#16
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #16
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 136

Bluemoa is offline
I just got it, works fine and comes with the bite-sized iLok. It also comes with 4 years of free upgrades, whatever that means.
David Watts
Thread Starter
#17
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #17
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
erm.... 'bitesize ilok'?! what the ****** is one of those...?!

Can you point me in the direction of where you can pick these student versions up from? cos at the moment I've only found 1 place...........

thanks... sorry for being a *********.
David Watts
Thread Starter
#18
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #18
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
so... you can't say "d_o_u_c_h_e_b_a_g" on GearSLUTZ then? #doublestandards
#19
6th January 2011
Old 6th January 2011
  #19
Gear maniac
 
Adib's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 167

Adib is offline
Seems to be a bit of misinformation here about Logic Studio educational. If you buy this in the UK at the student price (£118.00), then you are in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to upgrading to the next release.

The confusion comes from Apple's pricing. For example, I bought Logic Studio 8 at the educational price of £118.00. When Logic 9 was released I wanted to upgrade. As normal, I could upgrade for the standard price of £159.00. The problem is that for me to buy Logic Studio 9 was still £118 as an educational discount. So it actually worked out cheaper for me to buy the full version of Logic 9 than the upgrade.

When Logic 10 comes out I will no longer be a student, so the only options for me will be to upgrade (for £159, based on current prices), or buy the full version for £399...not that I would do that!

I don't know about Pro Tools, although I have PT9, bought for just over a couple of hundred from KMR at educational discount. When I want to upgrade to version 10 or whatever I'm hoping there will be a discount, but if not I'll be able to upgrade for the same price as everyone else (according to my dealer). Also, no key features are missing. Anwering the OPs question, no - there are no drawbacks getting the education version (of PT or Logic...don't know about Cubase). Hope that helps
__________________
Adib Mehrabi
David Watts
Thread Starter
#20
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
  #20
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
any news on where to pick up educational copies in the UK? I'm kinda struggling to find one....
#21
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
  #21
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 147

vcs3 is offline
Try Studica.com (PT9 195 squids)
#22
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 547

Nelson89 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adib View Post
Anwering the OPs question, no - there are no drawbacks getting the education version (of PT or Logic...don't know about Cubase). Hope that helps
Yeh not 100% sure about Logic, but i know that with the educational version of Cubase 4, you couldn't upgrade to 5, you had to buy it outright (whether it was the educational version again or whatever...)
David Watts
Thread Starter
#23
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
  #23
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3 View Post
Try Studica.com (PT9 195 squids)
yeah, I got Studica, but are there any other options out there?
#24
8th January 2011
Old 8th January 2011
  #24
Gear maniac
 
Adib's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 167

Adib is offline
Try the usual dealers..if they don't list it online just give them a call...

DV247 (MV Education)
KMR Audio
Studiospares
PMT

I got it from KMR but it was through an institution, not as a student (I work in a school). I'm surprised Avid aren't offering it on their site.
David Watts
Thread Starter
#25
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
  #25
Gear addict
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 331

Thread Starter
David Watts is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adib View Post
Try the usual dealers..if they don't list it online just give them a call...

DV247 (MV Education)
KMR Audio
Studiospares
PMT

I got it from KMR but it was through an institution, not as a student (I work in a school). I'm surprised Avid aren't offering it on their site.
Cheers, I'll give them a call on Monday. You would've thought they'd make it a bit more straight forward though....
#26
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
  #26
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Now - London. Before - Brisbane
Posts: 230

pechnatunk is offline
FYI


Reply I got from Avid Rep:

Hi,


I can confirm that the Pro Tools 9 STUDENT version includes 4 years of free updates, no matter how big the upgrades and including new versions of Pro Tools.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Luke M*&*&*&*&*&
Applications Specialist | AUS/New Zealand



So it seems there'll probably be no new versions for at least 4 years...
#27
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
  #27
Gear maniac
 
Blewgrass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 177

Blewgrass is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
FYI


Reply I got from Avid Rep:

Hi,


I can confirm that the Pro Tools 9 STUDENT version includes 4 years of free updates, no matter how big the upgrades and including new versions of Pro Tools.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Luke M*&*&*&*&*&
Applications Specialist | AUS/New Zealand


So it seems there'll probably be no new versions for at least 4 years...
For $125 this is a no brainer buy.
#28
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
  #28
Gear Head
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 30

Dan Clark is offline
I've got the student version and can also confirm it's exactly the same as the full version, it doesn't even mention student version on it anywhere.
#29
15th April 2011
Old 15th April 2011
  #29
Gear Head
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: newyork
Posts: 43

daceymathers is offline
I want to confirm you that student edition of pro tools 9 includes four years of upgrade.and it cost $298.95 only.So i don't think that there is any drawback in the student edition of PT9.
#30
15th April 2011
Old 15th April 2011
  #30
Gear Head
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: newyork
Posts: 43

daceymathers is offline
hi Joshua

I think you are not familiar with the student edition of pro tools 9 or you have not read the latest updates by pro tools software .I want to correct you here the student edition of pro tools 9 is now available with 4 years free upgradation and it is also cheaper so you can't say that it can not be upgrade.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tapevault / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
LaserWolf / Low End Theory
16
phaedrus / So much gear, so little time!
22

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.