Bandcamp vs. Soundcloud vs. ?
New Reply
Subscribe
bmsander
3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear nut

Bandcamp vs. Soundcloud vs. ?

I'm looking for a place online to put up some examples of my mix work. Anyone have any experience with Bandcamp or Soundcloud? Or should I just make a wordpress site for myself?

Again - I don't need much - just a place to put up examples of my work that ISN'T MySpace.

thanks for any advice/experience.
b
3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear addict

Bandcamp is really nice. but I don't know that I'd use it for anything other than finished product stuff. I honestly can't think of anything better for offering up your music to download, purchase, share on blogs and facebook-ish sites.... I love it.

Soundcloud seems like a good site if you're just looking for something to host your demos, or roughs, or the like, and easily post/share them on line.

"Your days of plenty are numbered."

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com
http://maggotbrainny.blogspot.com
3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

I like both.

Bandcamp, as Brains says, is really solid for offering online sales -- they give you one of the best artist cuts around (they pay direct through Paypal and if you set up or change your Paypal account to micropayments, it can mean as much as an 75% to 80% artist cut of retail) -- and they give purchasers options ranging from small, phone friendly Mp3s to truly lossless FLAC or Apple Lossless versions for a price the artist sets. (And they allow purchasers to pay more if desired, which is awfully nice, since, increasingly, paying for recorded music becomes more like voluntarily throwing a few coins or bills into a busker's open guitar case.)

That said, most folks probably only really know one online store, and that's iTunes. One ignores that venue at his own risk, perhaps. Runner up is Amazon.

It's relatively easy to sell through Amazon's CreateSpace service [even CD's on demand for the dinosaurs among your customers ] but, while it's supposedly technically possible for an artist to get his stuff up on iTunes for sale himself, it's such an onerous task jumping through their many hoops [and any undotted i or uncrossed t can cost you months in terms of release delays, AIUI] that most folks and smaller labels probably pay placement services like TuneCore or use a similar service at ReverbNation (and likely other services as well).

As far as selling online, I recently wrote a pair of articles for my music biz rant blog: From mix file to online store in 3 hours: the rebirth of an album and Net / Social Checklist for Musicians.

But for demos and stuff your putting up for feedback and critique, Soundcloud has a couple of nice features.

While Soundcloud's free accounts have some tight restrictions on the number of downloads for a given track (last time I checked it was 100 maximum), their interface, in addition to a 'wave graphic' type timeline/progress bar representation (that can help one visually find one's place in a song, at least unless the song is squashed into tubularity ) it offers the ability for visitors to tag specific comments to specific locations in the song (or on the timeline,more properly).

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
3rd January 2011
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to loh90
soundcloud is excellent for hosting samples or songs you wanna show people. it integrates extremely well into the facebook news feed (people will be able to play all of your songs right on the news feed in a converted flash player, similar to how you can view youtube videos right in the news feed). It's also kinda cool how you can see the waveform, and other soundcloud users are able to comment on specific parts of the song which is also cool. you also won't lose quality on soundcloud.

as mentioned, bandcamp is better for a final product.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search