Most advanced and best sounding recording studio in the world?
RainbowStorm
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Most advanced and best sounding recording studio in the world?

In your view, what is currently considered to be the most advanced and best sounding recording studio in the world?
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Well, mine, but I may be be slightly biased... although, I do know the place pretty well.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't think there is an easy answer to that...

The best sounding live rooms I've ever had the pleasure of visiting are Abbey Road 1 and 2. Studio 2 has a quite short and bright ambience and the whole room seems to resonate in a very pleasing and musical manner if that makes any sense. Studio 1 is like stepping into a lush 3D reverb, unbelievable.

When the live rooms are of that calibre and the mic locker is, err... substantial, the rest becomes quite secondary, really. World class joint for sure.

I would love to someday walk into Ocean Way. It's on the things-to-do-before-I-die list.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
In your view, what is currently considered to be the most advanced and best sounding recording studio in the world?
It's hard to say because there are so many great studios in the world, it's hard to narrow it down. But I can name a few in my town(Los Angeles), Conway Recording Studio, Village Recording Studio, Sunset Sound & Sound Factory.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

haha, i think you'll find a lot of the best sounding studios arent actually the most advanced at the same time....vote 1 for abbey road....
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
When the live rooms are of that calibre and the mic locker is, err... substantial, the rest becomes quite secondary, really. World class joint for sure.
I quite agree! I've walked around in S2 as well and it has a very pleasing sound ......not stepped into S1, but have listened to an orchestral session from the control room and it's easy to hear how good it sounds. S3 is nice as well funnily enough......

I think the "best sounding" studios are always going to be the ones with the "best sounding" live rooms and the most experienced engineers......so opinions will differ greatly depending on the nature of the sound that is desired by a client and their production team.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear maniac

It would be difficult to say.

I know an important songwriter who recorded and arranged a song in a laptop. He tried to improve the song in a important studio, in a warm mix where Joni Mitchell recorded some famous song. Finally, he chose the first song, recorded in the laptop. This song was included in a movie and got Oscar prize to the best song.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolleno View Post
It would be difficult to say.

I know an important songwriter who recorded and arranged a song in a laptop. He tried to improve the song in a important studio, in a warm mix where Joni Mitchell recorded some famous song. Finally, he chose the first song, recorded in the laptop. This song was included in a movie and got Oscar prize to the best song.
On the 'Best Sounding Studio' part of the question, the above pretty much answers that.

As far as the most advanced......... that's a tricky one. Conway and Village Recording are top notch, but even in today's music industry environment there are some pretty state of the art facilities out there that don't even want to be known by the general public, and unfortunately some of us are not really keen on revealing that info out of respect for the owners discretion. That said, the question you have promulgated has such a broad palette of answers that it probably would be best served by more categorical specificity.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ours is one of the "best" sounding rooms in the world. Most advanced if old gear can be considered "advanced."
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
Ours is one of the "best" sounding rooms in the world. Most advanced if old gear can be considered "advanced."
Dreamland looks awesome.

Where is your studio located?

I think church spaces make for the best acoustics. Of course there could also be too much reverb/delay but I think you have a handle on that with rug placement and such. Nice room mate.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

@Flymax, Just looked it up, you`re not too far. Awesome.

Whats going on in the choir loft?
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd say either Abbey Road or Capitol Studio's room A, historically.

Chicago Recording Company Studio 4 sounds wonderful to me
theother
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post

You don't seriously expect an answer, do you?

What is the most beautiful woman? What's the best car? The best microphone, pre-amp, vocal chain, platinum selling EQ, etc.

Can we stop this: 'What's the best?' - nonsense please? And stop being sheep?

It doesn't exist. YOU have to find out what's best for you and chances are it isn't the same as for me or anyone else here. It can be your friends garage or Abbey Road, depending on where YOU get the best results for the job at hand. How the fu'k should we know? And you will only know by actually going out and trying things only to see what clicks/works for you. No questions/answers on forums will get you any closer to real personal experience.

Now if you can't do this, there is no place for you as an engineer/producer/artist. You are looking for a shortcut where there isn't one.
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The one with the best band, and the best engineer, and the best staff!

Steve
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

...and the best menu book.

Steve
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Can we stop this: 'What's the best?' - nonsense please? And stop being sheep?

I nominate this post as the BEST response to a 'What is the Best?' question!
29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I nominate this post as the BEST response to a 'What is the Best?' question!
+2! - "Best" is ridiculously subjective... Way too many variables!
31st December 2010
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Although "best" is undoubtedly a subjective issue, it remains that certain studios over the years have gained a reputation, deserved or not, for their "sound." The Record Plant had an unmistakable, cavernous sound... Capitol Studio A has that classic "warm" sound... really, there's nothing wrong about discussing this. Because, after all, it IS gearslutz.com
31st December 2010
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

You don't seriously expect an answer, do you?

What is the most beautiful woman?
Hell, that's easy (don't tell my wife):

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search