Has anyone tried the Blue Spark?
New Reply
Subscribe
jlaugh87
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Gear maniac

Im wondering if anyone has purchased this newer mic? I bought one today our of sheer curiosity of the product...

Any reviews yet?
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have been curious about this as well. Not really to buy one myself, but I am a fan of BLUE (more their Latvian made stuff), they have interesting products. If this is a relatively dark mic, it might be a turning point in what "cheap" mics are.

When you get yours, please let us know what you think. Thanks
18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
Gear addict

I'm a fan of Blue too, and I have never tried any of their Chinese mics. I wonder how the baby bottle, dragonfly, bluebird and spark stack up to the competition. I haven't tried any chinese mics since the first couple of years after they started coming out.
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

They sure do look cool. Cant find too many reviews on them...
31st January 2011
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Are they trying to claim something special by putting a low cut filter on a mic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue website
A new feature found only on the Spark microphone is the unique Focus Control, providing two different usage modes at the push of a button: the Normal mode (out position) providing increased low frequency sensitivity for recordings with great impact and definition, along with the Focus mode, (in position) for even greater clarity and detail.
Follow me on TWITTER!

WWJMD?

Come see me on the Tape Op boards!

It's only inches on the reel to reel
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

I am going to try one out at GC this week.
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to brandonhackler
I picked one up recently. I haven't had much of an opportunity to put it through its paces but first impressions of it have been favorable. I tracked some acoustic guitar with it, placed about a foot and a half off the 12 fret coupled with a LDC on the body. The Spark sounded nice and smooth and was pretty much everything i had hoped/expected it to be.

Sorry I can't be more helpful at this time. The mic is what you'd expect from a Blue mic. Built great, looks beautiful and has a top notch shockmount and pop filter included. It'll easily make it's way into the mic rotation but I've just been swamped with fast moving projects and haven't had a lot of time to integrate it yet.

I will say, for 200 bucks it's BEYOND any expectations I had for it. The packaging and included accessories make it an insanely good deal. I'm not sure the focus button is even a selling point because it's kind of just there but for a good medium diaphragm mic that can be plugged in for a number of applications I'm very very happy with it. Plus, seriously… look at it… looks awesome!
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome. Let me know your results with vocals when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhackler View Post
I picked one up recently. I haven't had much of an opportunity to put it through its paces but first impressions of it have been favorable. I tracked some acoustic guitar with it, placed about a foot and a half off the 12 fret coupled with a LDC on the body. The Spark sounded nice and smooth and was pretty much everything i had hoped/expected it to be.

Sorry I can't be more helpful at this time. The mic is what you'd expect from a Blue mic. Built great, looks beautiful and has a top notch shockmount and pop filter included. It'll easily make it's way into the mic rotation but I've just been swamped with fast moving projects and haven't had a lot of time to integrate it yet.

I will say, for 200 bucks it's BEYOND any expectations I had for it. The packaging and included accessories make it an insanely good deal. I'm not sure the focus button is even a selling point because it's kind of just there but for a good medium diaphragm mic that can be plugged in for a number of applications I'm very very happy with it. Plus, seriously… look at it… looks awesome!
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear maniac

Bought one for 179$ CAD, tried it on acoustic guitar...

Sound is more focused - no pun intended - than a LDC. I'd say tighter. Less lows, little less highs also.

Found it very useful...so much that I purchased another one last week-end...

Now if I can only find the time/space to do a drum session....with them as OH!

Gearlist - as of now...
iMac 3.06 intel Core i3
MOTU 896mkIII
UA LA-610 MKII
Summit-Audio2BA-221 and Tla-50
2X GAP Pre-73
RNC
KRK Rokit8
MDR 7506

Mic Locker
Sontronics Orpheus, KEL HM2D, BLUE Sparkx2, Rode NT5x2 , 57x2, 58x2, Beta57a, Beta52a, 421, e609x2, AKG 451x2, ATM25, GAP R1 active ribbon, Cascade Fatheads IIx2.

Basses, guitars and drums a plenty!

WISH LIST:
API 3124+, Distressor, 1176, Telefunken AK47
Decent SDC's
Lunchbox...
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I think Brandon said it best----it's what you expect from BLUE, and that is more than you expect for the price point. When Dino (BLUE National Sales Manager) showed it to me before the AES show, I was intrigued by the look but of course---sound is what matters HOWEVER when I learned of the price point, I was curious---and then I heard it, it's a really nice mic!
www.theaudioprofessional.com (to meet me)

p:(404)844-9758 (24-hour phone/voicemail)
e:blyons@gcpro.com

*No one beats my value of Expert Advice, Personal Service, and Incredible Pricing....NO ONE*
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411
Awesome. Let me know your results with vocals when you can.

In the new product hardware forum i posted some acoustic and vocal samples a while back. For the price its a nice mic. Pretty well suited for vox i think. - paul
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Went to go try one today at GC but they were closed because of bad weather here in Dallas. Bummer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search