Tuning drums to fit song?
New Reply
Subscribe
MikeMitchell
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Gear addict

Tuning drums to fit song?

On a current project I'm working on, all the drums this band is using are sampled. Alot of tracks are done using DKFHS. They have an industrial style edge to them, and often detune the 'kit' or samples to fit the track. However, there is no rhyme or reason to the detuning, and I don't know if it should match up with in key of the song or what... it seems like on recordings we use as reference the kick is 'tuned' to the bass, and that the drums just fit into the song along side the synths and dirty guitars.

Also, they use alot of samples of machinery and such they spot recorded, and intend on incoperating them into the song. Should these also be tuned using auto tune, melodyne, or pitch and time? This is my first experience with a band that has come in and not just straight recorded their set or used samples that were fine the way there were tuning wise.

Picking up one of these plugs has been my only idea, but I don't want to drop the cash on them if they won't help the situation. (Maybe auto tune could recognize the pitch of the kick and could match it to the key of the synth line?)

Thanks for any help,
Mike
MikeMitchell
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Gear addict

bump
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search