Login / Register

Barking dogs, freakin' loud - hearing loss?
New Reply
Subscribe
hollow
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Gear addict

So here's another hearing thread from me, some like them, some of you guys probably hate me because of 'em.

But I can assure you that I'm also working with music, fulltime mixing engineer and producer.

So, my girlfriends parents just bought a new dog, a little sucker. Met it for the first time today - and sitting by the dinner table the dog gave a few really loud barks.

It was those high pitched 6k fast attack barks that almost feels like a pop in your ear.

Now, I am very concerned about my hearing as some of you know and I also have a big case of hyperacusis.

But these loud barks really scared the shit outta me. Found some sources on the net saying that a dog bark is well over 100 db...

You guys have dogs, barking ones? felt any hearing problems related to it?
Or just some input...

Maybe it sounds silly, but damn, dogs can be really loud - like a pushing impulse noise.

Maybe it was the first and last time with that dog for me...
hollow
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear addict

No dog owners in the business?
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Dont know about dogs but my folks have a parrot. I can't go in the room with it or it sqwaks at the top of its lungs. I have to put my fingers in my ears just to walk through that room. You think a dog is loud and high pitched? Parrots are designed to be heard for miles at high altitude.
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get your revenge with a high powered ultrasonic alarm ... ?
hollow
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear addict

Yeha I can reckon that parrots can be freakin loud as well.

Any AE:s here with dogs? For sure dogs barks sometimes, noticed any problems? Or is it just my sensitivity?
Shy
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

It's very simple: if it hurts your ears, it's not good for you. I know just how painful a very loud dog bark can be. They are short, not long continuous sounds, so your ears can handle it without being damaged, or seriously damaged, but of course if you're continuously exposed to those short sound bursts, damage is more likely. In any case, although hearing loss due to it is generally unlikely, it's always better to avoid very loud sounds.
hollow
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear addict

Alright, thanks for your answer,

Sadly, I think I'll have to avoid that dog...

It was a little puppy, just 14 weeks, but the bark was this high pitched fast bark,

Now I'm very sensitive to sounds in general, that's why I wanted to check with you guys - I do the dishes and vacuum cleaning with hearing protection - that's how sensitive my ears are.

I didn't know how loud a bark was so just wanted to have a little discussion. It did hurt my ears, but as I said - I'm one of those who are afraid of sounds...
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Joram

I have 2 dogs. They bark when needed, so when somebody is too close or entering the house.
The best way to get rid of unneeded barking is to train a dog barking on command. That way you learn at the same time when to shut up.
What doesn't work is yelling: the dog thinks you are barking too.
hollow
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear addict

Thanks Joram,

You haven't felt any discomfort when your dogs are barking sitting next to you, if that has ever happened?
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Loud noises being painful is a sign of hearing damage.
hollow
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear addict

Okay, sounds even more comforting,

would you like to expand on that one?
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
The loudest and harshest noise I have ever experienced was a freaking UPS truck pulling out of a loading dock and it's backend scraping against the concrete. Terribly loud and ****ed one of my ears for days after, which actually physically hurt. Seems to be fine now but no telling what kind of hearing loss I suffered. One of the several reasons I hate UPS.
hollow
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear addict

Thanks for all replys,

I really can't remember if I've reacted to dog barks like this before. Maybe it's just because I'm careful with my ears now, working with music.

I've read several sources on the net that dog barks are generally over 100 db... Which is quite loud
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy
It's very simple: if it hurts your ears, it's not good for you. I know just how painful a very loud dog bark can be. They are short, not long continuous sounds, so your ears can handle it without being damaged, or seriously damaged, but of course if you're continuously exposed to those short sound bursts, damage is more likely. In any case, although hearing loss due to it is generally unlikely, it's always better to avoid very loud sounds.
Actually, short sounds can be more damaging than prolonged ones. For a prolonged period, the ossicles in your ear stiffen up, you go a bit deaf temporarily, and this then goes back to normal - it's called temporary threshold shift and is your ears way of protecting itself. It can't react in time to shorter sounds so is no use there.

Of course, prolonged or instant exposure to very loud sound should be avoided if possible. I think in the case of a yappy dog though, the mental issue is more relevant than the noise issue. The OP sounds like he's developing hearing paranoia.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Dont know about dogs but my folks have a parrot. I can't go in the room with it or it sqwaks at the top of its lungs.
My friend had an African Gray that would, often and @~110db, imitate any sound it heard over and over (like my friend saying to his wife, "damn cat!"). One day he was out and the smoke alarm battery started dying. That, as they say, was that for the bird.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

a 6k dog bark? Thats gotta be a chiwawa on steroids!!!
Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much mate.

Now, the parrot mentioned.. that dreadfull screaming bird is something to worry about!
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear addict

Yeah, I really can't deny what you're saying - bout me developing some sort of paranoia... I just can't help it...

That dog barking is just awful - even though it's just a little puppy.

But the sound is kind of high pitched and it's such a short and snappy bark, you know a real "small dog bark"

Maybe I'm to worried? All loud sounds hurt my ears because I'm so afraid of ruining my hearing...
Shy
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Actually, short sounds can be more damaging than prolonged ones. For a prolonged period, the ossicles in your ear stiffen up, you go a bit deaf temporarily, and this then goes back to normal - it's called temporary threshold shift and is your ears way of protecting itself. It can't react in time to shorter sounds so is no use there.
I didn't say very loud short sounds can't be damaging. An iron rod smashed on a sidewalk next to you (I wasn't close, some other poor person was) is one example of a seriously dangerous sound burst which is much louder than any continuous sound.

As for ossicle muscles stiffening, they're often of no use since the avarage attenuation may be ~20 dB, but with very frequency limited sounds it's effectively much less and even if it wasn't, it would still not be enough to protect you. For example sirens, like of the hideously loud ambulances we have here, very painful unless you cover your ears with your hands, or various other sounds like a jet engine, which has one or two massive high-pitched tones in addition to overall huge volume which is also so loud that only 20dB attenuation would not even get you close to a level below the pain threshold (same as with the siren).

In general, loud continuous sounds are what affects everyone's hearing the most. Exposure to seriously damaging sound bursts are very rare compared to it, and normally-painful short sounds don't have nearly as much effect as long ones if at all. The thread's poster should go to a doctor to see if he has one of the several hearing sensitivity related disorders, neural or not, it doesn't matter, but in any case a dog bark can definitely be quite painful and it's not a paranoia to fear that.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I didn't say very loud short sounds can't be damaging. An iron rod smashed on a sidewalk next to you (I wasn't close, some other poor person was) is one example of a seriously dangerous sound burst which is much louder than any continuous sound.

As for ossicle muscles stiffening, they're often of no use since the avarage attenuation may be ~20 dB, but with very frequency limited sounds it's effectively much less and even if it wasn't, it would still not be enough to protect you. For example sirens, like of the hideously loud ambulances we have here, very painful unless you cover your ears with your hands, or various other sounds like a jet engine, which has one or two massive high-pitched tones in addition to overall huge volume which is also so loud that only 20dB attenuation would not even get you close to a level below the pain threshold (same as with the siren).

In general, loud continuous sounds are what affects everyone's hearing the most. Exposure to seriously damaging sound bursts are very rare compared to it, and normally-painful short sounds don't have nearly as much effect as long ones if at all. The thread's poster should go to a doctor to see if he has one of the several hearing sensitivity related disorders, neural or not, it doesn't matter, but in any case a dog bark can definitely be quite painful and it's not a paranoia to fear that.
Don't disagree with any of that, was just the way things were put in your last post that seemed to dismiss the "threat" of short burst type sounds. The obvious ones being gunshots or similar, hence the high levels of hearing loss in the military.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search