New Reply
Subscribe
Almost Human
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Almost Human Send a message via Yahoo to Almost Human
Best Mic Cables?

I'm looking for some opinions on mic cables and what you guys think is some of the best quality ones you can buy? I'm looking to move away from the lower end gear now that I have the money to upgrade, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd prefer to not drop $100 for a 20 foot cable...perhaps something around the $50 mark max for 20 or so feet as a guideline? Thanks! thumbsup
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Motown legend

I've used almost everything under the sun and keep coming back to Gotham.
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Anyplace sell Gotham cables premade?
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

That's an excellent question, and a question I'd love an answer to.
I'm likely pathetic and helpless when it comes to soldering things. Won't even bother to try, when it's the quality of my audio signal at stake.
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Gotham is available as bulk and premade assemblies direct: http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/

And also in standard and custom premade configurations, plus bulk, here: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=653

Whether it impacts the sound or not is your judgment, but the popular GAC-3 cable has a relatively high capacitance value (46 pF/ft cond/cond and 73 pF/ft cond/shield) not typically seen in other companies recent-model balanced audio cables. Also, there are some oxidation issues with the colored jacket GAC-3 cables, please contact Gotham for that information.

And see this thread for some more discussion of cables, plus audio samples (scroll toward the end of page 2, then there are several more on page 3). Some interesting things there:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...6&page=2&pp=40

Steve
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Gear Head

I like using the canare L-4E6S terminated with Neutrik NC3*X-B connectors. It's very affordable cable, and the sound is excellent. I make my own cables, but there are many companies out there that will make custom cabling for you at a fraction of the price of name brand cables. I also make Mogami mic cables that wind up costing less than half of the same thing that Mogami sells as a finished product. I use the same 2534 cable, and the same Neutrik ends. Remember, a lot of the price in high end cabling is just name recognition and advertising. Don't spend an arm and a leg on cabling. Just make sure that you use good quality cable and interconnects. You can also save a LOT OF MONEY by soldering the cables yourself.

Cheers,
Zach
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006

I prefer to make my own, but Van Damme, Mogami etc have never let me down.
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

As I've posted about a dozen times, try Belden 9182 lan network cable. Or use the General Cable/Carol equiv 8014. Runs about 23 cents a foot. Comes in a 500 foot reel. Real stiff, don't trip! Use Neutrik connectors and pound out the plastic insert in the strain relief. 8 pf capacitance per foot, 14 ohms DC resistance per 1k ft, 150 ohms impedance. Holds up to $1500 Kimber stuff, not as "pretty", but just as open. All other audio "mic" cables are filters in comparison. Listen and believe.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
As I've posted about a dozen times, try Belden 9182 lan network cable. Or use the General Cable/Carol equiv 8014. Runs about 23 cents a foot. Comes in a 500 foot reel. Real stiff, don't trip! Use Neutrik connectors and pound out the plastic insert in the strain relief. 8 pf capacitance per foot, 14 ohms DC resistance per 1k ft, 150 ohms impedance. Holds up to $1500 Kimber stuff, not as "pretty", but just as open. All other audio "mic" cables are filters in comparison. Listen and believe.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Cool. Thanks!

15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Gear addict

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! thumbsup I'm checking into the Gotham cables as we speak. Glad to hear some good things about Mogami aslo. Has anyone else used Mogami cables and have any opinions on them?
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

The best cables out there: HOSA.
15th January 2006
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! thumbsup I'm checking into the Gotham cables as we speak. Glad to hear some good things about Mogami aslo. Has anyone else used Mogami cables and have any opinions on them?
Well I can't tell you which cables are the absolute best (as if there is such a thing) but about 10 years ago I took close to twenty years of assorted cabling out of my studio ( mostly Belden and West Penn) and redid everything from mic lines to all control room wiring with Mogami and the the improvement was palpable. Don't really give a rat's ass as to how it specs out 'cause it sounds right to my ears and I don't have to second guess whether my wiring is the weak link. I tried several types before settling on Mogami, but the Mogami was the right combination of sound, ease of assembly and price.
Cheers, Rick
16th January 2006
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Jim, wondering if you could comment on 9182's durability as a "staging" mic cable, i.e., one that gets repeatedly coiled & uncoiled. I've been skeptical of foil-shielded cables for mic use, but must admit my concern is based on conjecture rather than any first hand use. Is the 9182 as robust a mic cable as more common braided-shield cables like Canare L-4E6S or Mogami 2549, or does it require a little extra care/caution when deploying?

Also, care to comment on the suggestion (made elsewhere) that 89182 would be preferable to 9182 *sonically* due to its Teflon dialectric & jacket?

Thanks.
16th January 2006
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Jim, wondering if you could comment on 9182's durability as a "staging" mic cable, i.e., one that gets repeatedly coiled & uncoiled. I've been skeptical of foil-shielded cables for mic use, but must admit my concern is based on conjecture rather than any first hand use. Is the 9182 as robust a mic cable as more common braided-shield cables like Canare L-4E6S or Mogami 2549, or does it require a little extra care/caution when deploying?
I'm not Jim and I've not used 9182. FWIW... I use the Belden 89207 which is a similar construction as 9182 I believe, although maybe even a little stiffer and tougher. It has the Teflon jacket and insulation, and also a combination braid/foil shield. I think the 9182 is a slightly bigger diameter.

It is very difficult to work with. Stripping and soldering connectors is not a trivial job here. As Jim mentioned, the Neutrik plastic strain relief bushings will not fit, but I found that I can cut one leg off and just use the two remaining prongs to provide the strain clamp.

In my experience, I wouldn't want to use this as stage cabling and try to coil and uncoil. It is *extremely* stiff, will pull your mics around in their shock mounts and on the stands, the cable must be aligned and fastened to stop this. I think the double-Reusen shields are preferable for repeated coiling, although you'll want to use over-under of course.

Although the smooth Teflon jacket is great for sliding along obstructions, and the stiffness can be handy... can bend the cable to hold shape for routings, and you can actually plug them in by holding onto the cable itself, rather than the connectors. Pushing a rope, as it were.

The sound of the 89207 is excellent, very smooth and clear. A neutral sound I believe. And the noise isolation is outstanding. I've not compared the Teflon vs PE/PVC for these, I just went with the "general information" that Teflon should supposedly be better. I did shootouts of various cables, the particular Mogami I had came in last and this Belden came in first. If you can live with the aggravations of terminating and routing, the sound (and price) can be worth it. Sorry this is not exactly speaking to the 9182, it might be in the neighborhood though, and just some things to consider.

Steve
16th January 2006
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
Thoughts on silver cable?

The cables I made for my monitors are silver. Found a huge roll of it in a thrift store for $5. It's like a 50', 16 wire snake

"What is a crossfire hurricane & why wasn't I born in one?"

Randy Wright
16th January 2006
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
My friend (who is an EE and Recordist)

makes custom silver XLRs and all sorts of interconnects at prices WAAAY below the boutique houses. I use all his cables in my setup, and have replaced my audio magic and zen cables with the cables from my friend.

IME, they have improved the overall sound quality greatly(nothing scientific, just my ears, and i get nothing to promote his products, hes just a friend who makes good products at lower prices). VERY good prices too.Nothing like the prices of the "boutique" houses. I think he may let you demo a pair as well.

if you want his contact info, shoot me a PM.

On the cable front, I am now making custom silver-clad cables using military-grade silver-clad copper wire. The Dogstar line are hand made with great attention to detail and are comparable to other high-end silver-clad cables such as the Audiomagic Hyperconductors, at a greatly reduced price.

In particular, the line will feature:

-Military Grade silver clad copper wire with silver clad copper shield (MIL-W-16878)
-4 conductor, quad design: 2 conductors per signal wire, 21 AWG total
-Teflon dielectrics: extruded teflon shield on each conductor, teflon tape outer jacket
-Black techflex braided sheathing for added durability
-High quality Neutrik XLR connectors
-Very low cable capacitance and inductance due to teflon dielectrics
-Hand soldered with silver-bearing solder, with a life-time guarantee
-Money back guarantee if they don't meet your expectations

Teflon makes for a great dielectric, and as such these cables have a very low capacitance per foot, and low inductance, making them crystal clear. I've been using Dogstar RCA interconnects in my playback system and I find the highs to be very smooth and natural with lots of clarity, a great deal of detail in the mid and low end, and a tight, full bass that isn't bloated. These cables will be a very noticeable step-up from pure copper cables, such as the very popular Canare Starquad.

I can make a wide variety of cables with the Dogstar silver-clad stock, including mic cables, RCA interconnects, XLR interconnects, and specialty cables. All cables will be custom made to fit your needs -- length, straight XLR connectors, right-angle XLR connectors, etc.
17th January 2006
Old 17th January 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jburn34
I've always been pretty happy with Mogami. I used to order the 2549 and solder neutrik connectors, but lately I've been just buying the Gold Series already made.
17th January 2006
Old 17th January 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
common braided-shield cables like Canare L-4E6S or Mogami 2549,
a little nitpick...

if my memory is correct, mogami 2549 is a spiral shield...
i have had one or two instances (in live settings) where i got noise with some of the spiral mogamis while the braided canares were quiet...so for live work i go with canare...whereas it's mogami for more permanent-type stuff...
Almost Human
17th January 2006
Old 17th January 2006
Gear addict

What would be a good price for the Mogami Gold cables? I was looking around today, and my local Guitar Center sells them for $48.99 or the like for 25 feet with Neutrik connectors. Is this a good price for them, or should I be able to find some for a better deal? I checked out the Redco site listed above where you can custom make your own cable. The Mogami 2549 as a balanced mic/line for 25 feet, with the black/silver male and female ends comes out to be $29.02 according to the site. Is this the same that you get prepacked for $48.99 from GC, with Neutrik connectors and all? Thanks! thumbsup
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Gear maniac

Mogami has all the dealers sell for about the same. You might be able to talk some of them into selling a little lower, but Mogami is pretty much a premium item and GC knows they can get that much for it, so they won't bargain much.

The 2549 bulk from Redco is the same stuff. I used to make all my Mogami and put the Neutrik connectors on it myself. It is a lot cheaper that way. I finally just started purchasing the cable premade from GC to save time and hassle. Mogami's cable assembly seems to be a little better than what I was doing also. Our company is looking into carrying their premade Gold cable, and I think it's a great idea, as my experience with the Mogami has been good.
Almost Human
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburn34
Mogami has all the dealers sell for about the same. You might be able to talk some of them into selling a little lower, but Mogami is pretty much a premium item and GC knows they can get that much for it, so they won't bargain much.

The 2549 bulk from Redco is the same stuff. I used to make all my Mogami and put the Neutrik connectors on it myself. It is a lot cheaper that way. I finally just started purchasing the cable premade from GC to save time and hassle. Mogami's cable assembly seems to be a little better than what I was doing also. Our company is looking into carrying their premade Gold cable, and I think it's a great idea, as my experience with the Mogami has been good.
Thanks...do you know Redco uses Neutrik connectors if you use the custom maker on their site? It would be more ideal if they do since I could get the exact lengths I needed instead of having to buy either 25 or 50 feet.
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Gear maniac

I'm not sure what they use when they make it themselves. I know what you mean about the cable lengths. I think Mogami makes some in between lengths, but I'm not sure which ones exactly.
18th January 2006
Old 18th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Human
do you know Redco uses Neutrik connectors if you use the custom maker on their site?
When you do the dropdown in the cable maker it only shows Neutrik for XLR connectors (NC3FX is female, NC3MX is male). Generally for the other connectors anything starting with "N" is Neutrik.

Steve
19th January 2006
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

Also, care to comment on the suggestion (made elsewhere) that 89182 would be preferable to 9182 *sonically* due to its Teflon dialectric & jacket?

Thanks.
It's tough, but it's foil shield will crack after stage abuse. Use it in the studio where it's more controlled. I've used the same cables for over 10 years and they will hold up if you take care with them.

People will trip on this if you use it on a live stage, it doesn't like to lie flat. The conductors are thick 22 awg, FEP teflon. The 89182 is the plenum version, very stuff and smooth designed to be pulled through conduit.

Teflon dialectric is the best, besides air. Cheap surplus military silver/teflon wire is great to use. You can braid it like Kimber and save $$$. I get it from Apex electronics in Sun Valley, CA for around $6 per pound. I use silver wire almost everywhere now.

See you at Namm in the Basson Sound booth in the Arena!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Almost Human
19th January 2006
Old 19th January 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
When you do the dropdown in the cable maker it only shows Neutrik for XLR connectors (NC3FX is female, NC3MX is male). Generally for the other connectors anything starting with "N" is Neutrik.

Steve
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me! thumbsup
8th May 2006
Old 8th May 2006
Gear nut

I'd like to try out the Belden 9128 or General Cable/Carol 8014, but I don't want to buy an entire spool to do it. Does anyone know of place that sells either of those by the foot, in the Los Angeles area or on the internet?

By the way, Jim, are any of these cables on the Apex Electronic website the surplus military silver/teflon you were talking about?

Thanks
8th May 2006
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've used that Carol cable that Jim's talked about and it is very good. And I didn't find it too hard to put connectors on.

My very incomplete IMDB list

I'm all ears.
C/G
8th May 2006
Old 8th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
My friend (who is an EE and Recordist)

makes custom silver XLRs and all sorts of interconnects at prices WAAAY below the boutique houses. I use all his cables in my setup, and have replaced my audio magic and zen cables with the cables from my friend.

IME, they have improved the overall sound quality greatly(nothing scientific, just my ears, and i get nothing to promote his products, hes just a friend who makes good products at lower prices). VERY good prices too.Nothing like the prices of the "boutique" houses. I think he may let you demo a pair as well.

if you want his contact info, shoot me a PM.

On the cable front, I am now making custom silver-clad cables using military-grade silver-clad copper wire. The Dogstar line are hand made with great attention to detail and are comparable to other high-end silver-clad cables such as the Audiomagic Hyperconductors, at a greatly reduced price.

In particular, the line will feature:

-Military Grade silver clad copper wire with silver clad copper shield (MIL-W-16878)
-4 conductor, quad design: 2 conductors per signal wire, 21 AWG total
-Teflon dielectrics: extruded teflon shield on each conductor, teflon tape outer jacket
-Black techflex braided sheathing for added durability
-High quality Neutrik XLR connectors
-Very low cable capacitance and inductance due to teflon dielectrics
-Hand soldered with silver-bearing solder, with a life-time guarantee
-Money back guarantee if they don't meet your expectations

Teflon makes for a great dielectric, and as such these cables have a very low capacitance per foot, and low inductance, making them crystal clear. I've been using Dogstar RCA interconnects in my playback system and I find the highs to be very smooth and natural with lots of clarity, a great deal of detail in the mid and low end, and a tight, full bass that isn't bloated. These cables will be a very noticeable step-up from pure copper cables, such as the very popular Canare Starquad.

I can make a wide variety of cables with the Dogstar silver-clad stock, including mic cables, RCA interconnects, XLR interconnects, and specialty cables. All cables will be custom made to fit your needs -- length, straight XLR connectors, right-angle XLR connectors, etc.
So what would a 25' mic cable cost made by your friend?
9th May 2006
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
So what would a 25' mic cable cost made by your friend?
pm sent, Colin.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search