Heads - guitar, not tape
New Reply
Subscribe
XSergeantD
11th January 2006
Old 11th January 2006
Lives for gear

Heads - guitar, not tape

We just had the opening party Dec 5th and we've been quite busy since then and I'm just about done tying up all my loose ends. We had our first gtr tracking using our equipment. We tried our new Marshall 1959HW running to the 1960AHW. The clients had used a Marshall TSL100 before and wanted one for the following day but could only get a DSL100 for them. I'm not choosing one over the other, but what a difference, obviously it would depend on what type o music you're recording, but I want to know your opinions:
For heavy RnR, I'm thinking of ditching my JCM800 2203 (with the preferable inputs vertical, ya know the one with 6 caps inside as opposed to the horizontal inputs which has 2 caps inside). Anyway, I was thinking of getting a TLS100 and selling the JCM800 2203, but want to know if anyone has used the TSL100. I'm just going on a recommendation from the client who knows amps, but want to do my research before I do anything – I’ll eventually get around to trying one myself.

Thanks for your thoughts, and if ya want to hear what our room sound like, get the new Joe Bonamassa album when it comes out –recorded in studio X, mixed in studio Y. (so there’s no mistakes: Joe had his own gear/guitars for his session – which I am very jealous of)
11th January 2006
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Guru

the JCM 800 you have is the Marshall to have ... the D and T are tone killers, say goodbye to your guitar and player, all you hear is closed in amp color.

that JCM800 has one good sound - yes i'ts limited - but at least is has one sound.

If you want a head that does a wide range of tones very well, with any tube config you can imagine, the new Mavenpeal RG88 is the one.

The Sag control is amazing, from 0-25% sag on a knob. The variable wattage is amazing, and you can load channel one with 6L6 or 34s or whatever, and then load Ch2 with a totally different power tube pair.

I have 1-100 W. Ganesha Serial #001 right here, it belongs to a friend, and this amp does Marshall far better than any new, and most old Marshalls (as in more open, punchy, responsive, guitar shines through)

http://www.mavenpeal.com

We run it into a 2x12" www.KWCabs.com, loaded with any 2 speakers, you wouldn't believe the tone.
Mastering Engineer - The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Ray LaMontagne, Chet Faker, Mary Lambert, The Soft White Sixites, Bombino, Hanni El Khatib, The Shins, Dr. John, The Growlers, The Sheepdogs, David Lynch, Beck, Sigur Ros, Newsted and 1000s of others.

Spiral Groove - Studio One - a truly useful nearfield mixing speaker
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Gear addict

if your thinking about going with a modern amp that says marshall on it you should also checkout the tsl60. its not as flexible as the tsl100 but i think it has a nicer sound (for my needs anyways, mostley RnR/r&b/jazz... yes i use it for jazz from time to time)

how much do you want for your jcm800? i might know sombody who wants it.

aaron
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Orange Rockerverb 50. Great overdrive/crunch tones, really cool clean sound.
Perfect volume. Loud, but not too loud for tracking. I've been through so
many amps on my quest for great tone. I've owned many JCM 800's and JMP's.
The JMP 50's can be nice if you find the right one, but it's got to be biased
correctly & have the right tubes. And even then, you still need a pedal in front
of it for most stuff. Great just breaking up kinda overdrive (AC/DC). The 800's
I was never crazy about. A little more gain than the JMP's, but not that much.
The tone suffers from the extra gain, it can be buzzy. The newer Marshalls, like
the 2000 series sound fake to me, like they're solid state or something. The
Orange is really special for recording, it still sounds warm and full even at high
gain settings. The clean channel is sorta a strange mix of Fender and Vox to
me. It also likes boost pedals alot. I've been using a Fulltone OCD pedal
lately for more variation.
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Gear nut

I wouldn't bother with TSL, I've yet to hear one that sounds decent. DSL is an OK amp and sounds as good as one can play. JCM800 has the best sound of the three and you might wanna put a cool fuzz box in front of it for more drive if situation calls for it. But it will definatelly kick DSL and especially TSL in the nuts.

Now if you really want something special, I would look into Soldanos. HotRod50+ will give you great sounds for a normal price, but if you want the best get the SLO100. I haven't touched another amp since I bought one for my studio. And most guitarists preffer its sound on tape than anything they bring in with them (Marshalls, Mesa, Vox, VHT, ...).

BTW, Dec 5th was my birthday, so it's good to hear at least somebody partied!
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej
JCM800 has the best sound of the three and you might wanna put a cool fuzz box in front of it for more drive if situation calls for it. But it will definatelly kick DSL and especially TSL in the nuts.
That sums it up. There's nothing else to say about it. The DSL/TSL shake in their boots when ol' grandpa gets mad at them.

If you want a more modern Marshall, that's still VERY Marshall, I would go H&K. They're not my favorite amps, but if you were to predict what Marshalls should sound like today 20 years ago, you would think H&K triamp before DSL/TSL.

Now if you want the amp that sounds like the evolution of modded Marshalls past, you ABSOLUTELY MUST check out Cornford. Sick. Sick. Sick.

There's lots of Marshall-ish amps, and lots that I would rather have over the above, but these are IMO the most authentic and least likely to disappoint in terms of the expected feel, which is very important to us players.
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej
I wouldn't bother with TSL, I've yet to hear one that sounds decent. DSL is an OK amp and sounds as good as one can play. JCM800 has the best sound of the three and you might wanna put a cool fuzz box in front of it for more drive if situation calls for it. But it will definatelly kick DSL and especially TSL in the nuts.

Now if you really want something special, I would look into Soldanos. HotRod50+ will give you great sounds for a normal price, but if you want the best get the SLO100. I haven't touched another amp since I bought one for my studio. And most guitarists preffer its sound on tape than anything they bring in with them (Marshalls, Mesa, Vox, VHT, ...).

BTW, Dec 5th was my birthday, so it's good to hear at least somebody partied!

I have to second the Soldano line of amps. I received an X88 preamp from Mike back in 1989, and have found it to be one of the most versatile amps in the last 15+ years.
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a TSL 100 I'd like to sell....not my cup of tea. Too 'fizzy' on both the crunch and lead channels. Clean is real nice though. I'm currently using a hand built 18W Marshall clone...no more channel changing, master volume amps for me. From now on its low wattage amps cranked up to the point where they start to sing.

If you do get a DSL or TSL, consider having it modded by Voodoo amps...they have a way to get rid of the buzzy/fizzy sound while keeping the gain high.

Cheers,

Kris
12th January 2006
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

the Soldanos are great - the Mesa Dual/Triple rectos and the Peavey 5150 are basically part-for-part ripoffs of the SLO.. they just don't sound as good.

Also check out Rivera - I have an old TBR1-SL that absolutely kills.
Bogner, Koch, Fuchs, etc... lots of good stuff out there that isn't Marshall or Fender or Vox.

Try some of the real small boutique builders too - some great amps out there.
"-)
13th January 2006
Old 13th January 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja
If you want a more modern Marshall, that's still VERY Marshall, I would go H&K. They're not my favorite amps, but if you were to predict what Marshalls should sound like today 20 years ago, you would think H&K triamp before DSL/TSL.

Now if you want the amp that sounds like the evolution of modded Marshalls past, you ABSOLUTELY MUST check out Cornford. Sick. Sick. Sick.
Both suggestions are great. Triamp was my favorite amp for a long time - VERY versatile with absolutely gorgeous reverb. But once I got my hands on my SLO100 I just knew I'd never plug that Triamp back in so I found it a new home.

I would try Demeter amps too, I've heard many love stories from Marshall players and the little 1x12 combo my friend owns kicks all kinds of asses. James Demeter definately knows what he's doing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search